U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 08:00 AM

73 posts, read 43,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
If you're making $33K a year I'm assuming you're making about $15 an hour which depending on your circumstances could be anywhere from $425-475 weekly clean. Let's say you make about $450/wk, that comes out to about $1800 monthly. If I was you, what I would do is create an expense list of everything (EVERYTHING) you spend money on and how much do you spend on it monthly.

Example:

Rent for Room -$600
Food - $200
Complete Insurance - $200
Metro card - $120
Triple play package (Recommended for someone whose doing it alone) - $120
Haircut - $20
Additional Expenses - $240
Total Monthly Expenses: $1500
Total Monthly Income (Clean): $1800
Monthly Savings: $300

Even taking into account additional expenses if your list would look something like this, you'd still have a little wiggle room for savings.

Do this and exaggerate your expenses slightly. This way, if you do go over what you truly think you'll be spending every now and then, you're still within your monthly budget. You'd be surprised what people can live on if they would simply learn how to budget their money properly. Best of luck.

My opinion on your situation, I think you can. Two pieces of advice, don't get conned into living in the hood in the Bronx. There are plenty of decent working class areas in the Bronx that aren't that expensive, especially considering what the rest of the city is charging for rents. Decent options include Bedford Park, Parkchester, Throggs Neck, Pelham Bay, to name a few examples. Second piece of advice, choose your roommate carefully. There's a lot of crazies out there, be wise about who you decide to share an apartment and potentially spend most of your time with.
sheesh thank you this was some amazing advice
i was able to locate a room for 500 a month i'm planning in advance because i'd like to know how much exactly i should save before i make this leap.
most room come with cable/wifi for an additional 25 or 30 dollars or so so i'm hoping i can find a deal along those lines

now since this job will be weekends off i'm thinking that i may pick up a little side job thats weekends only for additional income if things don't meet out.

i go to the barbershop about three times a week lol
food i don't each much but this may sound wrong if i can apply for assistance i will now i'm not sure if i can since this will be a government job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 08:30 AM

372 posts, read 286,290 times
Who actually goes to the barber that much? Time to consider a new hairstyle.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:19 PM

328 posts, read 231,719 times
It's going to be really difficult live in NYC on 33k/year. That was a common starting salary range for a college graduate in the 1990s, and one could get by on that and even be somewhat comfortable. But not now with the way rent has increased. Maybe if you are able to find some form of subsidized, below-market housing with roommates. You'll probably have to get a part-time job on the weekends as well.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:42 PM

484 posts, read 348,540 times
Default What are you planning to eat?

You state that you're renting a room. Do you get kitchen access? Do you cook?

If you aren't planning to, think again. Eat breakfast at home, make your own coffee, pack a lunch, eat dinner at home. If you are renting a room with a shared kitchen with other roomers, they'll likely eat your food. If you won't have a refrigerator and a microwave, you'll sink yourself before you start.

Eating without a kitchen (one day):

Bagel/cream cheese from street vendor: 1.50
Coffee from street vendor (not Starbucks): 1.50

Lunch: Sandwich from deli, eaten at desk: 7.00
Soda: 2.00

Dinner: Takeout from the neighborhood (not sit-down at a diner) 7.00

Total for 1 day: $19.00 x 30 days = $570

$570 x 12 = $6840/year for severely minimalist food

When I was single, starting out in NYC on my own, and making very little money, food was one of the few fixed costs that I could control. Rent, utilities, phone, subway were all fixed costs. I figured out that the biggest proportion of my food budget was spent on meat. Went to the library and researched cuisines that take a little bit of meat and stretch it. Checked out books on Chinese and Indian cooking, and saved a ton of money.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post

i dont go for haircuts i go for shape ups

Old 09-26-2015, 02:54 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,209,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post

Triple play package (Recommended for someone whose doing it alone) - $120
I wouldn't bother with that. I pay $45 a month to RCN for a 50Mbps internet plan, and then $8 for Netflix and $8 for Hulu. More TV than I can shake a stick at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlingtothemoon View Post
i go to the barbershop about three times a week lol
Holy hell. I always wondered how my neighborhood can support what seems like seven barbershops on every block. Now I know.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:27 AM

20,199 posts, read 26,543,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
Or a WAHL clipper.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Or a WAHL clipper.

if you read.... you would see that i wrote that i go for shape ups if i knew how to do a shape up myself i wouldn't bother going to the barbershop but i dont.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:01 AM

10,653 posts, read 20,806,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlingtothemoon View Post
i was able to locate a room for 500 a month i'm planning in advance because i'd like to know how much exactly i should save before i make this leap.
Planning in advance is great. "Locating" a room from afar is NOT a good idea. It's probably a scam or a sh&thole.

One of the number one rules of renting in NYC is you must be there in person to see the room or apartment. Otherwise, you have to assume it doesn't exist, is a scam, it sucks and is in unliveable condition, or they lied about the neighborhood. This would especially hold true when you're looking at $500/mo rooms.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:15 AM

576 posts, read 465,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Or a WAHL clipper.
Yup!! I bought a pair of WAHL clippers years ago to save the cash and TIME at the barbershop and I still have a pair. I used to go to the barbarshop for a buzzcut. Now I still get a buzzcut at home, and don't evern do a line. You're natural hairline is fine. I've saved a ton of cash and most importantly TIME. I hated going to the barbershop and having 7-8 dudes ahead of me. It was an all-day thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or