U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:18 AM

576 posts, read 467,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
If you're making $33K a year I'm assuming you're making about $15 an hour which depending on your circumstances could be anywhere from $425-475 weekly clean. Let's say you make about $450/wk, that comes out to about $1800 monthly. If I was you, what I would do is create an expense list of everything (EVERYTHING) you spend money on and how much do you spend on it monthly.

Example:

Rent for Room -$600
Food - $200
Complete Insurance - $200
Metro card - $120
Triple play package (Recommended for someone whose doing it alone) - $120
Haircut - $20
Additional Expenses - $240
Total Monthly Expenses: $1500
Total Monthly Income (Clean): $1800
Monthly Savings: $300

Even taking into account additional expenses if your list would look something like this, you'd still have a little wiggle room for savings.

Do this and exaggerate your expenses slightly. This way, if you do go over what you truly think you'll be spending every now and then, you're still within your monthly budget. You'd be surprised what people can live on if they would simply learn how to budget their money properly. Best of luck.

My opinion on your situation, I think you can. Two pieces of advice, don't get conned into living in the hood in the Bronx. There are plenty of decent working class areas in the Bronx that aren't that expensive, especially considering what the rest of the city is charging for rents. Decent options include Bedford Park, Parkchester, Throggs Neck, Pelham Bay, to name a few examples. Second piece of advice, choose your roommate carefully. There's a lot of crazies out there, be wise about who you decide to share an apartment and potentially spend most of your time with.
This is the best advice you'll get on this board!! I still do this now!! I make sure to include ALL my expenses, including my $10 planet fitness fee!! Budgetting like this will teach you to be financially-responsible and will give you a real chance at living a comfortable life WITHIN YOUR MEANS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 10:11 AM

332 posts, read 713,871 times
How much do they charge you for the shape up? Probably not as much as a regular full haircut but its still money your paying.
Maybe cut down the shape ups to once a week, and haircut every 2-3 weeks.

But yea, 33K a year is tough, but doable if you list out all your expenses and don't go over your budget.

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:33 PM

1,878 posts, read 1,117,385 times
I only pay $4-$5 for my haircuts, and even then only once every 3-6 months. I can't imagine going to the barber that much on that low of an income. Looking good is not an expense I'd have when the market would dictate I couldn't rent something that was even $1,000 in a city I didn't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or