U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 866 times

Advertisements

About 5 weeks ago, my roommate accepted a job in Florida. We told our Landlord and they stated that if we found new tenants we wouldn't be liable to pay for the remainder of the lease, which ends March 2016. When we extended our lease, I asked her if she wanted to extend it until 09/30 or March and she said March. I essentially could have moved anytime, but largely gave her decision. I mean I like where I am but I didn't have to stay longer.

Today, 9/25, my roommate left NY and shortly a while ago we both got a call that our apartment had rented, the new lease began 10/15. I said to her - so we are splitting the 1/2 month's rent and she stated No. She said she had given 5 weeks to leave and that I am choosing to stay. I told her that I was not going to leave a place that I am essentially paying for until there are renters.

A little background....
About 2 weeks ago I told her that if we get renters and I am going to stay longer that I would pay $, if I decided to stay longer. I told the real estate agent last Sunday that Oct. 15 I would move out if anyone was interested.

I just feel that since it is the last weekend of the month, that it would be unreasonable for her to assume that anyone can move out and move in. And #2 - she was the one who decided to move out prior to getting the apartment rented in the first place.

Please let me know your thoughts and comments! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 01:37 PM

110 posts, read 103,987 times
The lease is still active when u stay left behind after your roommate is moving

If both of u moving out at the same time , you shouldn't be liable to pay that half of 1/2 month rent

But since u stay in that place, u are expected to pay that half of 1/2 month rent

U should move when your roommate is moving , period

No landlord is going to pay that portion

Old 09-25-2015, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 866 times
Hello,
We didn't have a person to take over the lease until today, so we would have been liable to pay. I was going to stay until we found someone to take over the lease, because I would have had to pay regardless. I was never expecting the landlord to pay. I think my roommate should have to pay, since it is the end of the month.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:06 PM

5,737 posts, read 5,185,684 times
Be happy they found new renters and your not going to end up being stuck with the whole rent for the next 6 months.
If you can be out by the end of the month you could try to have a talk with the landlord and say Im sure you need to get the place ready for the new tenants so I can be out by the end of the month so you have a 1/2 month to get it ready. If the landlord doesn't go for that then stay until the 14th and count your losses. You are arguing about a 1/2 months rent. My guess is its only around $300-$600. I don't have a lot of money but I have learned in my life sometimes its less stress, hassle, and burden to just take the hit and move on in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City