U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 463 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Ridgewood, NJ and although I would love to stay here, I might have to consider a move to stay sane. I am being highly considered for a teaching position at a charter school located on 103rd Street, between 2nd and 3rd ave. My commute came up during the second interview. I've interviewed during non-peak hours and I've driven so I haven't yet faced the full brunt of morning or afternoon rush hour. Ideally, I would like to keep my commute under an hour and keep in mind I will be on a new teacher salary! Any advice on towns/methods of transportation would highly be appreciated. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 08:06 PM

516 posts, read 649,806 times
Do a test run of your morning and afternoon commute so you get a better idea of what you're up against. If you really like where you currently live it doesn't seem like that bad of a commute, but it'll be more than one hour. If I were you I'd take a good look at the Bronx and take the subway in. The Bronx is huge and there are really beautiful places there - just stick to the 4,5,6 line.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:55 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,298,376 times
You can take the #175 bus from Ridgewood to the GWB Bus Terminal, and then take the M98 bus. The #175 uses the HOV lane, but the M98 bus doesn't.

What you can do is look at Google Transit and see the traffic on that day. If it's flowing freely, take the M98. If not, go downstairs and take the (A) train to 125th Street, and then either take the M101 directly to the school, or take the (B) or (C) to 96th Street and then take the M106 bus.

Unfortunately, the problem is that the bus station is on the west side of Manhattan, while the school is on the East Side, which makes it more difficult and requires extra transfers.

I agree that you should look into moving into The Bronx to ease the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City