U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 01:27 PM

2,228 posts, read 2,946,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
1540 PP is a good building,the other ones( 1550?,1560?) have a different landlord and are ok but not great. Also there is a nice building on Eastchester,just South of PP across from the 49.
How is 3121 Middletown Rd? I must have passed that place million times? It's across from the fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 01:29 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,619,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
How is 3121 Middletown Rd? I must have passed that place million times? It's across from the fields.
It's a decent building ( a co op) but the traffic noise from 95 is horrendous in most of the apartments.Maybe not the ones in back facing West but I never saw one.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-29-2015 at 01:41 PM..

Old 09-29-2015, 01:44 PM

1,031 posts, read 990,984 times
Quote:
It's a decent building ( a co op) but the traffic noise from 95 is horrendous in most of the apartments.Maybe not the ones in back facing West but I never saw one.
Is that the building on the corner of Middletown and Bruckner? Parking over there has to be bad too.

There's a new building on Middletown near the service road that was advertised in the Penny Pincher a few months ago. 1 bedrooms for around $1700. I laughed so hard I couldn't make it up my front steps. To pay that much money to live in Pelham Bay?! Um, no.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Is that the building on the corner of Middletown and Bruckner? Parking over there has to be bad too.

There's a new building on Middletown near the service road that was advertised in the Penny Pincher a few months ago. 1 bedrooms for around $1700. I laughed so hard I couldn't make it up my front steps. To pay that much money to live in Pelham Bay?! Um, no.
I can understand why you feel that way,especially as someone who grew up in the area but what other options do people have at that price ? I think when you compare other NYC neighborhoods in the same price range Pelham Bay looks pretty good all things considered.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:47 PM

2,228 posts, read 2,946,529 times
Quote:

You should see what people are paying South of Fordham Rd. There was a time in NYC when rents were based on how nice the area was. That no longer holds true. I understand people are gonna pay helluva lot more in Tribeca or UES but there isn't a Bowery skid row anymore. BTW I think Pelham Bay is nice? Is Pelham bay the other side of Country Club?

Old 09-29-2015, 07:10 PM

484 posts, read 345,618 times
Default Thanks for the suggestions

Went to see apt on Olinville Ave. after work today. R Estate Agent stood me up. No call, no email. Waited from 6:15 to 7. Liked the people I met hanging outside of the building, and the street had a great vibe. Dog walkers, people chatting to each other.

Went to the building Sunday afternoon to see the outside in daylight. Looked like there might be some maintenance issues (bricks missing, some pointing issues). Peered into a glassed in area on the ground floor. Not the lobby, more like a community or function room with a separate glassed in entrance. Wet mop, wet floor, and what looked like a black stain coming from the wall.

Tonight, where the black stain had been, the wall had been opened from ceiling to floor, and a sewer pipe was completely exposed (like 12 feet of pipe). An inch of standing water was all over the tile floor of the entry area, and what I could see of a public bathroom (which had it's door propped open). There is a glass door to the outside right there. It was propped completely open, with no one anywhere around, as dusk was gathering. If I'd been willing to wade, I could have walked into the building that way.

Good news is that the sewer pipe looked like it was firmly closed, and the black water and sediment that I'd seen coming from the wall Sunday afternoon was gone. But the standing water and the open outside door left unattended didn't look good at all.

I think the agent and this building are going to be crossed off the list.

Thank you for the suggestions for other buildings in that area -- I need a 2 bedroom apartment. Will start watching those for two bedrooms. I'm also going to start looking in lower Westchester.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I can understand why you feel that way,especially as someone who grew up in the area but what other options do people have at that price ? I think when you compare other NYC neighborhoods in the same price range Pelham Bay looks pretty good all things considered.
You make a strong point. I'm also in a very anti-Bronx frame of mind these days, so it skews my perspective. I'm planning on moving to Queens, as I just can't deal with the commute into Manhattan anymore. Perhaps there are other neighborhoods in the Bronx where it's not so tedious to get into Manhattan (CC and TN are not known for ease of access, we all know that), but there's not a single location in the Bronx that I can fathom paying that much for a one bedroom. $1700 is even a hundred more than my target budget for Astoria,Woodside or Sunnyside, which are neighborhoods with much better transportation options. I know I won't be living in anything approaching luxury, but I think it's a quite reasonable amount to pay based on what I'm seeing.

I don't think PB is a bad neighborhood by any stretch, I just wouldn't pay that much to live there.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
BTW I think Pelham Bay is nice? Is Pelham bay the other side of Country Club?
PB is fine, I just find that price insane for the area. As I mentioned above, my perspective is most likely skewed, completely willing to admit that.

Country Club is on the east side of 95, where Pelham Bay Park is. Borders are the park, the water, Layton Avenue and the highway. Pelham Bay is on the west side of 95....not 100% on all of those borders. I'm still baffled that for some reason, CC is considered part of PB, even though it's the same zip as Throggs Neck, and they're separated by a giant interstate. Growing up in CC, I never considered myself from PB, and even to this day when someone asks where in the Bronx I'm from, I say Throggs Neck (bc most people have never heard of CC).

Old 09-30-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
You make a strong point. I'm also in a very anti-Bronx frame of mind these days, so it skews my perspective. I'm planning on moving to Queens, as I just can't deal with the commute into Manhattan anymore. Perhaps there are other neighborhoods in the Bronx where it's not so tedious to get into Manhattan (CC and TN are not known for ease of access, we all know that), but there's not a single location in the Bronx that I can fathom paying that much for a one bedroom. $1700 is even a hundred more than my target budget for Astoria,Woodside or Sunnyside, which are neighborhoods with much better transportation options. I know I won't be living in anything approaching luxury, but I think it's a quite reasonable amount to pay based on what I'm seeing.

I don't think PB is a bad neighborhood by any stretch, I just wouldn't pay that much to live there.
I am assuming that one would at least get a better apartment( and maybe bigger if that matters) in The Bronx for the same price as in Astoria let's say, but not sure anymore.

My neighborhood is an ok commute if you are going to an East Side express stop and going back and forth during express train hours when the 5 skips all the South Bronx stops.Then you can make it from Pelham Parkway to 42 St in about 30 mins.Also helps to live real close to the subway.It is good to also have a West side train but the 2 is not as fast.Nice to be able to go down either side without changing though.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-30-2015 at 03:28 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 03:36 PM

19,086 posts, read 32,655,211 times
Quote:
I am assuming that one would at least get a better apartment( and maybe bigger if that matters) in The Bronx for the same price as in Astoria let's say, but not sure anymore.

My neighborhood is an ok commute if you are going to an East Side express stop and going back and forth during express train hours when the 5 skips all the South Bronx stops.Then you can make it from Pelham Parkway to 42 St in about 30 mins.Also helps to live real close to the subway.It is good to also have a West side train but the 2 is not as fast.Nice to be able to go down either side without changing though.
Man that 2 train sucks.......it hits every stop man smh

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or