U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 12:32 PM

484 posts, read 345,618 times

Advertisements

Calling the Bronx experts who are familiar with this neighborhood in 2015!

Want advice on possible move to apartment edge of Pelham Parkway/Allerton (Olinville Ave/Holland Ave) in Bronx.

I'm not using this question as code. I am white, middle class and a minority at work. My family and friends are all colors of the rainbow, and immigrants from all over the world. I love the spice and flavor this brings to me. I've lived in NYC for over half my life, travel daily by mass transit throughout the city for work. During the day work regularly sends me to stressed neighborhoods (Ocean Hill, East New York, Brownsville, Grand Concourse in 160s-170s).

I think I"m pretty streetwise. But I've worked for years with correctional releasees and substance users. I know that there are people in this world who view me as prey. Drug addiction can force people into difficult decisions. Some people will wait, watch my comings and goings, and plan the best time to mug me.

Is the Olinville Ave/Holland Ave corridor a reasonable pocket I should consider for my new home? Or?

Thanks for any and all advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 02:17 PM

19,086 posts, read 32,666,756 times
If it is in your budget then yes its a good area.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-26-2015, 03:23 PM

8,389 posts, read 19,623,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquring81 View Post
Calling the Bronx experts who are familiar with this neighborhood in 2015!

Want advice on possible move to apartment edge of Pelham Parkway/Allerton (Olinville Ave/Holland Ave) in Bronx.

I'm not using this question as code. I am white, middle class and a minority at work. My family and friends are all colors of the rainbow, and immigrants from all over the world. I love the spice and flavor this brings to me. I've lived in NYC for over half my life, travel daily by mass transit throughout the city for work. During the day work regularly sends me to stressed neighborhoods (Ocean Hill, East New York, Brownsville, Grand Concourse in 160s-170s).

I think I"m pretty streetwise. But I've worked for years with correctional releasees and substance users. I know that there are people in this world who view me as prey. Drug addiction can force people into difficult decisions. Some people will wait, watch my comings and goings, and plan the best time to mug me.

Is the Olinville Ave/Holland Ave corridor a reasonable pocket I should consider for my new home? Or?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Pelham Parkway in general is one of the lowest crime areas in The Bronx and probably also has a lower crime rate than the NYC average. I have lived in the area for 6 years now and feel totally safe at all hours.
As with all NYC neighborhoods however some blocks are better than others and it's hard to tell exactly where you are looking because there is no such thing in most people's minds as an "Olinville/Holland Avenue corridor". If you are more specific about a location I can offer more specific advice.

The only only thing I can say for now is that Olinville Ave above( North of) Allerton Ave….around Britton St and the Parkside Houses isn't great and I wouldn't want to live there but that's not considered Pelham Parkway anyway so maybe it doesn't matter.Or maybe you don't know what the boundaries of the Pelham Parkway neighborhood are, I don't know . Pelham Parkway is really considered South of Waring Ave. Olinville Ave between Pelham Parkway North and Allerton Avenue is fine.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:37 PM

19,086 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Pelham Parkway in general is one of the lowest crime areas in The Bronx and probably also has a lower crime rate than the NYC average. I have lived in the area for 6 years now and feel totally safe at all hours.
As with all NYC neighborhoods however some blocks are better than others and it's hard to tell exactly where you are looking because there is no such thing in most people's minds as an "Olinville/Holland Avenue corridor". If you are more specific about a location I can offer more specific advice.

The only only thing I can say for now is that Olinville Ave above( North of) Allerton Ave….around Britton St and the Parkside Houses isn't great and I wouldn't want to live there but that's not considered Pelham Parkway anyway so maybe it doesn't matter.Or maybe you don't know what the boundaries of the Pelham Parkway neighborhood are, I don't know . Pelham Parkway is really considered South of Waring Ave. Olinville Ave between Pelham Parkway North and Allerton Avenue is fine.
I didn't even pick up that Olinville Holland corridor mess....to OP, Olinville and Holland are on opposite sides of White Plains Road and depending on exactly where you are, it makes a huge difference.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-26-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I didn't even pick up that Olinville Holland corridor mess....to OP, Olinville and Holland are on opposite sides of White Plains Road and depending on exactly where you are, it makes a huge difference.
Exactly. Where I live just North of Pelham Parkway it's much better West of White Plains Rd. South of me,it's better East of White Plains Rd and North of Allerton Ave it's also generally better East of White Plains.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

Thank you for the guidance you've already given, it's very reassuring. You're totally right, I haven't a clue where the Pelham Parkway neighborhood begins and ends. Real Estate agents, I've found, are quick to label dodgy areas "North Pelham Parkway Estates Hills Annex."

As a New Yorker, I totally get the idea of "the x block of ABC street between Avenue A and Avenue B is fine, but North of Avenue C I'd avoid."

I'm considering a few different apartments -- one on Olinville Ave between Waring Ave and North Pelham Parkway, a second on Holland between Waring and North Pelham Parkway. Does that narrow things down a bit?

Old 09-26-2015, 05:52 PM

Am considering two apartments -- one on Olinville between Waring Avenue and North Pelham Parkway, the second on Holland Avenue between Waring Avenue and North Pelham Parkway. If you've got specifics on either, would be very interested.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquring81 View Post
Am considering two apartments -- one on Olinville between Waring Avenue and North Pelham Parkway, the second on Holland Avenue between Waring Avenue and North Pelham Parkway. If you've got specifics on either, would be very interested.
Anywhere South of Waring is fine but Olinville between PP and Waring is better. The are around Astor and Holland is very Albanian.

Really,nothing to worry about around here.If anything,Pelham Parkway is a near perfect microcosm of NYC in terms of median incomes,racial make up and crime rate.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:03 PM

Thank you, that's extremely helpful, and very reassuring.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:46 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,946,529 times
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...-us-049pct.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or