U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 05:55 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,528,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't. Everyone who started in the past 10 years KNEW what they were getting into.

And summer jobs for teachers in NYC do not have to have anything to do with k-12. It's NYC there are lots of other options.

Several friends of mine who is a teacher has written off Broadway plays and had them produced at times.

Others who don't work during the summer take that time to travel, or do other things.

I am not making claims as to how most teachers spend their summers (I have no statistics) only that their vacation gives them a lot of options that many people do not have.
You live in a delusional bubble, and it's very clear you wont, not cannot, ever scape it.. Those who are studying education in Washington, or Dallas, or Vancouver aren't necessarily away of the political BS that dictates New York living.

I'm glad I don't live in a place where people who push an elevator button earn 70K a year, while state sanctioned speech therapists with bachelor's degrees earn 60K.
This thread is a reminder of what happens when some common sense starts to infiltrate liberal bull-poop. Disparity and taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 06:20 PM

23,276 posts, read 16,124,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
You live in a delusional bubble, and it's very clear you wont, not cannot, ever scape it.. Those who are studying education in Washington, or Dallas, or Vancouver aren't necessarily away of the political BS that dictates New York living.

I'm glad I don't live in a place where people who push an elevator button earn 70K a year, while state sanctioned speech therapists with bachelor's degrees earn 60K.
This thread is a reminder of what happens when some common sense starts to infiltrate liberal bull-poop. Disparity and taxes.
Well no one is forcing those people in those other places studying education to come to NYC and if they don't like it no one holds them in the bars.

This has nothing to do with liberalism. You'd like to think a degree entitles you to make more money than someone who doesn't have a degree. The society doesn't always work that way.

A real estate broker or stockbroker without a college education could make more money than a NYC teacher, and there are those who substantially make more than teachers. That's private sector employment, but people are responsible for knowing the conditions of their careers before going in.

An elevator operator is being paid for by the building management company and if they value the services of those operators they are entitled to pay them whatever they want to.

Come to think of it I use elevators, but I don't use speech therapist personally. The market fairly has assessed the value of the service. You want it to be minimum wage, but it's not and in the end it doesn't really matter what you like or want. No one in any position of authority will listen to you so just enjoy being frustrated and I'll just enjoy you ranting over things you cannot effect or change.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:19 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,846,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Ever notice how teachers who work above and beyond their contracted day/year are the only city agency that get PAID LESS the more that they work?

Imagine if summer school got paid time and a half?!
Bloomberg screwed those people over. I feel truly bad for anyone who started in that industry in the last 10 years.
It's not just Bloomberg. It's the way the world is now and that is a long conversation.

Suffice to say, training over actual education except that a select few have access to the latter. And there, even the top universities have money-making programs.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:21 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,846,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well no one is forcing those people in those other places studying education to come to NYC and if they don't like it no one holds them in the bars.

This has nothing to do with liberalism. You'd like to think a degree entitles you to make more money than someone who doesn't have a degree. The society doesn't always work that way.

A real estate broker or stockbroker without a college education could make more money than a NYC teacher, and there are those who substantially make more than teachers. That's private sector employment, but people are responsible for knowing the conditions of their careers before going in.

An elevator operator is being paid for by the building management company and if they value the services of those operators they are entitled to pay them whatever they want to.

Come to think of it I use elevators, but I don't use speech therapist personally. The market fairly has assessed the value of the service. You want it to be minimum wage, but it's not and in the end it doesn't really matter what you like or want. No one in any position of authority will listen to you so just enjoy being frustrated and I'll just enjoy you ranting over things you cannot effect or change.
In a kind of second response, this embodies absolutely everything that is truly defunct and unfortunate about millennials. And I am allowed to say that. I prefer far older people for this very reason.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:16 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,783,732 times
When everyone in the world wants to live in your city, say New York or London, what are you supposed to do - tell them no? The market sets the price of real estate according to supply (which the mayor can influence through building permits and incentives) and demand (which the mayor can do nothing about). Bloomberg allowed a lot of new construction, causing prices to rise less than they otherwise would have. He was one of the best mayors ever, and look who NY has now...

Old 12-18-2015, 08:59 PM

1,007 posts, read 584,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
When everyone in the world wants to live in your city, say New York or London, what are you supposed to do - tell them no? The market sets the price of real estate according to supply (which the mayor can influence through building permits and incentives) and demand (which the mayor can do nothing about). Bloomberg allowed a lot of new construction, causing prices to rise less than they otherwise would have. He was one of the best mayors ever, and look who NY has now...
He was one of the best mayors for the rich. The "new construction" you talk about is geared towards housing the wealthy in fact there has been alot of new attention to the fact that central manhattan has very few permanent residents left. Most of the units in these Bloomberge permitted condos are investment properties never used that are held by wealthy domestic and international businessmen. This is a tragedy considering that the city has never seen a larger homeles population then it has today living in the shelters.

The solution is to provide high density low-income housing. This city simply needs to get denser, but this may involve eminent domain of run down shoddy tenements. This of course is not politically popular as the slumlords have considerable resources at their disposal to fight this.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:43 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,783,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
In a kind of second response, this embodies absolutely everything that is truly defunct and unfortunate about millennials. And I am allowed to say that. I prefer far older people for this very reason.
NYwriterdude is telling you (a little inelegantly) that the market sets wages. Do you disagree?

Old 12-18-2015, 10:03 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,502,155 times
quote:
The solution is to provide high density low-income housing.

No. It needs to provide high density middle-income housing. Since when has housing deadbeats and scrubs together in high density buildings EVER worked out!?

Old 12-18-2015, 10:03 PM

4,488 posts, read 2,292,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
He was one of the best mayors for the rich. The "new construction" you talk about is geared towards housing the wealthy in fact there has been alot of new attention to the fact that central manhattan has very few permanent residents left. Most of the units in these Bloomberge permitted condos are investment properties never used that are held by wealthy domestic and international businessmen. This is a tragedy considering that the city has never seen a larger homeles population then it has today living in the shelters.

The solution is to provide high density low-income housing. This city simply needs to get denser, but this may involve eminent domain of run down shoddy tenements. This of course is not politically popular as the slumlords have considerable resources at their disposal to fight this.
Low income housing? Isn't that what they call "the projects?"

Last time I checked, housing projects are a total failure that many cities have torn down and replaced with mixed income developments. Not a surprise you advocate going down a proven failed road.

Also, I don't see how Bloomberg had anything to do with luxury buildings. He has no control over what private property owners do with their properties. Oh I forgot, in your world common sense doesn't matter. Just tax/rob rich/white people and give to the black. I wonder what the black people are going to do after all that loot is spent. Go somewhere else and loot and rob some more, right?

Old 12-19-2015, 05:58 AM

23,276 posts, read 16,124,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post

Eminent domain is used against slumlords for things like Columbia University expansion, the building of a shopping mall plus housing near Citifield in Corona, etc.

The city isn't interested in building new high density low-income housing. When they did that it was called the housing projects and ultimately became a place to push poor Black people into.

Low income housing gives families the kiss of death intergenerationally. Whites who are much less likely to be on government programs for poor people long term often became property owners and have property and assets to leave their children when they die. Poor Blacks who lives in various government housing when they die have nothing to leave their kids. It means their families have little to no resources to help the young get a good education and condemns them to poverty long term.

Sad to say but you ultimately need to live where you can afford and if you cannot afford NYC you need to move to a place where you can support yourself with a job. It's not the government's role to maintain you in NYC forever or maintain your family in NYC intergenerationally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or