U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2015, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 444 times

Advertisements

I have ccna and online masters in Comp Sci From UMUC and 10 years experience providing server room and network tech support. Is it difficult getting IT tech job with Bloomberg or Thomson Reuters, or similar company providing tech support for finance? I have taken programming classes but don't have much work experience in actual programming. Most of my experience is just server and network sys ad, VTC and AV systems. Whats my employment chances in financial system tech support and salary expectations? I don't have any actual experience in financial systems.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 12:32 PM

166 posts, read 116,969 times
Default I think it ultimately depends on you...

As far as salaries for specific companies you can look those up for Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters on a site like Glassdoor.com. I think Indeed.com also has a salary estimate for certain positions in different cities tech support Salary in New York, NY | Indeed.com. I am not sure how reliable that estimate is, but it sounds about right.

I mean what are your chances of finding a tech support job in finance...It's hard to ever say what someones chances are. NYC has a decent amount of tech jobs in the finance IT sector and you would be better off to open up your search to other organizations besides just two. You have a CCNA cert which is an EXTREMELY valuable certification and a masters degree. I think you are overqualified for a tech support position with 10 years of experience.

Unlike you, I am still a novice in the field. I looked on Bloomberg's career site awhile ago and I think one of the positions, maybe junior sys admin, required a CCNA. I think they also hire people fresh out of a bachelors degree for junior positions/internships. Your best bet is just to apply and see if you get a bite. However, with your qualifications I think you might get an interview at least, even though you do not have experience applicable to finance. I think most IT skills are portable and the main thing a lot of employers look for is experience, followed by education, both of which you have.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or