U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 11:46 AM

7,048 posts, read 7,615,394 times

Advertisements

why don't you check out the nightlight on a Friday on Bell Blvd in Bayside? I find some bars a bit older than your age. There are some decent bars in your age group. Restaurants are plenty in the area.

The issue with you is finding an apartment by Bell Blvd (LIRR). There are less supply of apartment by there compared to say FH or Astoria. There are more apartments in Bayside closer to the Bay Terrace/ Cross Island which is quite a hike for you.

The advantage for Bayside over FH & Astoria is the parking. Its more easier to find parking in the residential area. Its is tougher to find parking on Bell or anything close to the Bayside LIRR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 05:02 PM

400 posts, read 345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Yea, the reason she likes Astoria of course is bc all of her friends and family reside in either Manhattan or western queens, so it wouldn't really be that too much of a change or culture shock for her. She also works in Manhattan so for her the commute from Astoria would be a piece of cake, I work in western Nassau (Garden city) so for me the commute from Astoria would be a bit hairy. At least an hour, if not more with traffic. And I would be a lot farther from all of my friends and family out in LI than she would. I feel like I would be the one doing all the compromising in a way.

I am from LI so for me, I feel I would like Bayside or Forest hills ( or even Kew Gardens) a lot more because those areas are kind of a mix between the urban and suburban landscapes. Bayside hills is very suburban, almost like Long island, same for Forest hills and Forest hills gardens....very suburban but yet still in the city, which is what I like.

Astoria really has no "suburban" parts to it. Yes, it has residential areas, but they are more urban than suburban.
Kew Gardens definitely gives a suburban vibe. Why not consider Woodside? It's on the LIRR train map and I've heard it's a less vibrant version of Astoria. Not sure how true this is because I do not have much experience with Woodside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or