U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:48 PM

4,540 posts, read 3,959,214 times

Advertisements

Whole Foods (WFM) is cutting 1,500 jobs over the next two months, or about 1.6% of its workforce, as it focuses on its strategy to lower prices for customers, the grocery chain said Monday.
Shares ended down 1.1% for the day.
The cuts come after Whole Foods added more than 9,000 jobs in the past year. The company said it expects "a significant percentage" of employees being let go to find other jobs among Whole Foods' open positions, including those available due to more than 100 new stores that are set to open. Whole Foods has about 91,000 employees and 431 stores across the U.S., U.K., and Canada.
"We believe this is an important step to evolve Whole Foods Market in a rapidly changing marketplace," co-CEO Walter Robb said in a statement. The company also said that the job cuts will let it focus more on upgrading technology.
Whole Foods would not say which specific positions will be cut.
Whole Foods is up against increasing competition in the organic grocery space it once dominated as more mainstream and affordable grocery chains have started selling organic brands. Its reputation has also taken several hits in recent months.

Whole Foods has been trying to tone down its reputation for selling expensive food. The company plans to start opening an off-price chain called "365" next year, aimed at younger shoppers and with a focus on cheaper groceries. So far five locations have been announced.

Whole Foods cutting 1,500 jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 04:44 PM

7,951 posts, read 5,191,990 times
They are trying to lower prices for customers. Translation. We are losing a lot of $$$ since people are realizing that the products we sell are no different that something you can buy at Wal-Mart, Bravo Supermarket, Gristedes, etc. Therefore, we are going to layoff the grunt workers. Top executive will continue to make their insane salaries...because they deserve it.

tiddays!!

Old 09-28-2015, 05:10 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,171,962 times
Whole Foods is losing $$$ because they have gone downhill in many ways.

Recently, to cite just one example, they simply discontinued an entire line of vitamins without offering alternatives or explaining anything to their workers on the floor.

One of the store workers told me that they had been removed for "redesign in packaging" - not a change in the product, mind you, but a stupid branding thing. I would contribute that the person in "corporate" who decided that was a good idea should be fired, and pronto. I called the regional office and was told the items were in stock but the stores were not ordering them. In the end, the national office admitted, finally, that the line had been discontinued. Many phone calls, lots of run-around, little competence. I did learn from several store workers that Whole Foods corporate is "simply awful" (and I quote).

It is no longer a competently run company, which does not bode well for the future. There is also an air of desperation.

I would suggest that they are not offering cheaper options because they want to expand their market and appear less elite, but because they are broke and the profit margin is larger.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:20 PM

372 posts, read 303,005 times
Vitamins are basically useless unless you're suffering from deficiencies anyway.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:24 PM

10,455 posts, read 8,411,215 times
Technology my ass...the cost savings are going straight to the law firms.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:28 PM

9,101 posts, read 9,117,304 times
Would be nice if they passed that savings on labor down to the customers in the form o flower prices. And I don't mean their house-brands.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:26 PM

2,098 posts, read 1,357,402 times
If they actually do get cheaper I'll finally step foot in one and see how they compare to what I pay at Essex Market or Key Foods on sales.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:26 PM

20,339 posts, read 13,459,090 times
In much of New York City Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are streets ahead of the old "hood" supermarkets like Key Food, Food Emporium and especially Gristedes. Nationally or even just outside of NYC such as in Long Island, New Jersey and Westchester there are local supermarkets and other shops that give WF a run for its money.

Wegman's and even some chains supermarkets offer just as good, fresh, organic or whatever things as you'll find in Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. They do so often for the same or lower costs. That is Whole Food's problem, everyone and their mother now has jumped on the "organic" or whatever bandwagon and some are beating them at their own game.

The other problem have already mentioned; the competition in grocery/supermarket business is becoming very strong. You have all sorts of options that just didn't exist a decade ago. Store 24's like Duane Reade are kicking the established supermarket's behinds with their lower prices.

Finally there is the growth of online supermarkets/shops like PeaPod, Fresh Direct, NetGrocer and Amazon.com. Even when these places do not sell perishables such as meats, poultry, veggies and fruits, they do sell the heck out of canned and other packaged goods, and other loss leaders from coffee to laundry/cleaning products. Cannot think of the last time purchased things like toilet paper, cleaners, detergent or similar products in a supermarket. Between Duane Reade, Rite Aide, Walgreens and Amazon find prices are lower than even the sale price at supermarkets.

Whole Foods stores in urban "supermarket starved" areas probably do good numbers. But it is interesting seeing WF, Trader Joe's and Fairway battle things out in NYC.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:49 PM

6,316 posts, read 5,794,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
But it is interesting seeing WF, Trader Joe's and Fairway battle things out in NYC.
As someone who shops at all 3, I say let them battle! For me Fairway is actually the most expensive when it use to be the cheapest.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:09 PM

20,339 posts, read 13,459,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
As someone who shops at all 3, I say let them battle! For me Fairway is actually the most expensive when it use to be the cheapest.
Fairway is union which if the other supermarkets in NYC are any example is one of the reasons for higher costs. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are not union shops IIRC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City