U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 643 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have decided to move to New York City after visiting twice. We very much like the energy, diversity and opportunities. We have two daughters (6 and 10) and we are moving from Texas. I have a degree in Computer Science and seeking a job in software or web technologies. My wife is in the medical field. Finding jobs is our top priority and I'm hoping for a combine income between 110k to 125k if all goes well. Looking for tips or suggestion on apartments, neighborhoods and good schools. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 04:43 PM

516 posts, read 650,030 times
Find jobs before you move.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:50 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,729,063 times
You will want to aim higher than your combined income and it is possible with your fields. Depending on actual profession, if your wife is a nurse, she can earn 80k by herself as a friend of mine clears that as a case worker. Plus with 2 daughters you will want a 2 or 3 bedroom, and that will run you close to or more than 3k a month in the good parts of Brooklyn. Aim for combined income of 130-150k. You need to make 40x the rent for apartments here so keep that in mind.

If I were you, I would wait and see where you land jobs first. Don't rule out other parts of the city. Mainly because where you work will end up largely dictating where you live, unless you enjoy commuting 2-3 hours a day.

As for schools, I can't help you there but I'm sure others can.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:45 PM

10,616 posts, read 20,750,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drepaperhouse View Post
My wife and I have decided to move to New York City after visiting twice. We very much like the energy, diversity and opportunities. We have two daughters (6 and 10) and we are moving from Texas. I have a degree in Computer Science and seeking a job in software or web technologies. My wife is in the medical field. Finding jobs is our top priority and I'm hoping for a combine income between 110k to 125k if all goes well. Looking for tips or suggestion on apartments, neighborhoods and good schools. Thanks in advance.
I personally wouldn't move a family of 4 to NYC on that salary. NY is really tough for families due to the school situation (many bad schools and challenging school environments) and also the space issue. Two bedrooms are already really expensive in many areas, and three bedrooms are worse.

I advise you to do as much research as possible. This includes finding out about schools (not just asking what the good schools are, but also finding out the process by which students get into public high schools, etc.) and also looking at what rents really cost in the neighorhoods you're looking at. Sometimes a quick glance is really not going to tell you what you need to know. Maybe you can rent a three bedroom for $3000 in certain neighborhoods, but what really is the condition of the apartment and the building going to be like? Apartment quality tends to be low for the price in NY.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:05 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,831,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I personally wouldn't move a family of 4 to NYC on that salary. NY is really tough for families due to the school situation (many bad schools and challenging school environments) and also the space issue. Two bedrooms are already really expensive in many areas, and three bedrooms are worse.
Agree. People do it, but they are from here and have connections, families ...
Some tend to stay where they grew up. And some of them have left.

People do not quite grasp the cost of living here.

Very much agree as well with the school advice. It can be a challenge to get into the better schools unless you have been working on this - setting aside the cost. It is quite a process.

I would definitely not move without firm employment offers for both of you. I would advise this to people without children.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:20 PM

1,843 posts, read 1,092,495 times
Given you have kids, I assume you have a lot of experience in Software Engineering or what have you. You'll probably score much higher and likely be in a 130k+ bracket off of your income alone. That being said, find a job first. You don't want to be moving a family of four without that.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Given you have kids, I assume you have a lot of experience in Software Engineering or what have you. You'll probably score much higher and likely be in a 130k+ bracket off of your income alone. That being said, find a job first. You don't want to be moving a family of four without that.
Not necessarily and a lot of competition - I know from students, and they have very strong degrees and experience.

But you never know.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:35 PM

9,938 posts, read 7,698,582 times
Its the New York area, not the New York - Brooklyn area.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:51 PM

996 posts, read 944,915 times
With two children of the same gender, you'd help any apartment budget by seeking a two bedroom apartment especially in the first years. Some parents take the smaller bedroom and divide the so called master bedroom for two children, using bunk beds and room dividers.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:09 PM

The OP(s) might check out the more recent thread on New York and job satisfaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or