U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2015, 03:24 PM
 
73 posts, read 43,129 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

if you work for the NYS court systems or for the nys government lets say if you are a traffic enforcement agent
is it true that you can't get food stamps?????
or if you worked for the nys government?

how is that even fair how do they assume that you will be making enough money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2015, 04:59 PM
 
Location: NYC
516 posts, read 651,385 times
Reputation: 586
Let me get this straight...You want my taxes to pay your salary and for your food?! I'm pretty sure I'm already paying your rent so I'm not even going to ask about that...some people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Lower East Side, NYC
1,851 posts, read 1,101,363 times
Reputation: 1309
I assume before taking a job that I can afford to feed myself in some regard at least rather than rely on some bigger entity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 05:24 PM
 
155 posts, read 320,023 times
Reputation: 72
The city pretty much makes sure minimum salaries stay just above the level for assistance. Just google the article about the homeless city workers. Cost of living in this city is just ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 05:30 PM
 
5,737 posts, read 5,189,693 times
Reputation: 3843
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlingtothemoon View Post
if you work for the NYS court systems or for the nys government lets say if you are a traffic enforcement agent
is it true that you can't get food stamps?????
or if you worked for the nys government?

how is that even fair how do they assume that you will be making enough money
Why do you think you should get food stamps?
You posted your making $33k.
Thats more then double the amount to receive food stamps.


Family Size Monthly Gross Income* Annual Gross Income*
1 $ 1,265 $ 15,180
2 $ 1,705 $ 20,460
3 $ 2,144 $ 25,728
4 $ 2,584 $ 31,008


You need to make less then $15K to get food stamps.

Here is my suggestion, you say you get shape ups 3 times a week! Perhaps cut down on that a buy some groceries with that money!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 07:28 AM
 
73 posts, read 43,129 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
Let me get this straight...You want my taxes to pay your salary and for your food?! I'm pretty sure I'm already paying your rent so I'm not even going to ask about that...some people...

extremely arrogant. i am not on public assistance nor am i seeking it i'm just wondering how they truly expect people who are struggling and i mean truly struggling not just milking the system to survive on a low salary. take your ignorant uneducated self out of my post. you're disgusting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 12:31 PM
 
1,480 posts, read 1,394,093 times
Reputation: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlingtothemoon View Post
extremely arrogant. i am not on public assistance nor am i seeking it i'm just wondering how they truly expect people who are struggling and i mean truly struggling not just milking the system to survive on a low salary. take your ignorant uneducated self out of my post. you're disgusting
People struggle for a various reasons at most income levels. The expectation is that you figure it out yourself- get a better education or a better job (or a 2nd one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 12:34 PM
 
5,737 posts, read 5,189,693 times
Reputation: 3843
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlingtothemoon View Post
extremely arrogant. i am not on public assistance nor am i seeking it i'm just wondering how they truly expect people who are struggling and i mean truly struggling not just milking the system to survive on a low salary. take your ignorant uneducated self out of my post. you're disgusting
You make more than me and I'm not truly struggling!
Live on the street or in a shelter. Survive working 40 hour a week on min wage while having children then tell me about you struggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 12:59 PM
 
73 posts, read 43,129 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You make more than me and I'm not truly struggling!
Live on the street or in a shelter. Survive working 40 hour a week on min wage while having children then tell me about you struggling.
i'm not speaking in regards to myself i am generally speaking on people who i personally know that truly struggle to put food on the table because they need to provide for sick family members or for their siblings school supplies. now when i am reffering to myself i will say I NEED or I WANT until then don't assume because you know what they say about assumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 01:03 PM
 
5,737 posts, read 5,189,693 times
Reputation: 3843
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlingtothemoon View Post
i'm not speaking in regards to myself i am generally speaking on people who i personally know that truly struggle to put food on the table because they need to provide for sick family members or for their siblings school supplies. now when i am reffering to myself i will say I NEED or I WANT until then don't assume because you know what they say about assumptions.
There are PLENTY of churches and food banks to go to to get food.
I understand live happens and can change it any moment but the general idea of having children is don't if you can't provide for them. You can't expect other people or the government to fund them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top