U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 20,828 times

Advertisements

hi there,
NYS medicaid renewal: What should i do if i fail to send back the form before the deadline? any suggestion is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 03:32 PM

1,838 posts, read 1,688,742 times
Why not just send it back on time?

Old 09-29-2015, 04:32 PM

I missed the deadline for some of reason.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:21 PM

484 posts, read 345,618 times
Default Call HRA

Get in touch with Medicaid and tell them you missed the deadline. Offer to walk the renewal information into them. There is a short window when you can do this. If you missed the deadline by two months, it might be passed, but call them anyway.

Worst case scenario:
If you are on Medicare or enrolled in a Special Needs Plan, and it turns out you need to reapply, you'll have to reapply with a paper application, and it will take 45 days to process.

If you are not on Medicare, and are also not in a Special Needs Plan, you can go to a navigator or enroller through the New York State of Health and they can help you reapply online. Your Medicaid will likely be in effect within a week.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:23 AM

hi Inquring81,
Thank you for your reply, called HRA they said my medicaid ended and navigate me to https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/, but i cannot find entrance for medicaid apply in this website, i am not on Medicare, and are also not in a Special Needs Plan, should i call navigator for help?

oops, i cannot reach the navigator because the website error.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:11 PM

Default Sure, Navigators can help you, no problem!

There are a number of ways to get help getting your Medicaid reinstated.

1. Don't worry about trying to find the link on the NY State of Health website that says "Medicaid" -- there isn't one. Doesn't mean you can't sign up, it's just not as clear as I'd like it to be.

2. Here's the process to enroll if you want to do it yourself on the computer (if you already know you want help, skip to #3):

a. You have to "register/set up an account" on the website. This is where you tell them who you are, how much money you have, your address, whether you are a citizen, etc. Don't worry, it's all confidential information.

b. Once you have set up your account/registered, it will see that you qualify for Medicaid and will start walking you through the steps of applying on-line.

c. At the end of the process, it will give you a receipt that you can print out showing that you've signed up and you should get notice of your Medicaid renewal very shortly thereafter.

3. I want help doing this, how do I find in-person assistance? If you click on the link below, it will take you to an interactive map of New York where you can locate an assistor near you. You can also click on the PDF listing, by county, of all the counties in New York. Find your county and it will give you the names and locations of agencies that have free navigators who will help you, what languages they speak, etc.

IPA/Navigator Site Locations | New York State of Health

4. I want to talk to a person on the phone for help getting a navigator: Call the hotline for the New York State of Health, which 855-355-5777. They answer the phone there M-F 8 AM - 8 PM, Saturday 9 AM - 1 PM.

5. I want to talk to someone using TTY (for those who are Deaf): 800-662-1220

There are a ton of very good navigators, and many of them sign people up for Medicaid every day, and have figured out lots of shortcuts to make the process as quick as possible. That being said, if you happen to accidentally pick one who is brand new, clueless or a problem in any way, feel free to dump them and pick another off the list.

You're showing the signs of a true New Yorker because you're following up and being persistent in getting what you want and need. That is terrific, and I want to encourage you to keep that up! This is New York, water mains explode, drivers jump curbs, chunks of buildings fall through the air, etc. You need to get your Medicaid back in place so that it's there when you need it, and you don't get hit with a whopping bill the next time you need to go to the Emergency Room.

Best of luck! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Old 10-01-2015, 09:26 AM

Hi Inquring81,
Thank you for your so so detail info, I'll follow it to reinstate my medicaid back.
You are the best! I appreciated. thank you so very much!

Old 10-01-2015, 07:53 PM

Default My Pleasure!

You're entirely welcome -- good on you for following up and getting enrolled back into Medicaid!

Old 10-03-2015, 01:02 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,114,298 times
your case is closed. you have to reapply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or