U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:16 PM

372 posts, read 285,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Wait how do I feel righteous? The people did crimes to put themselves in jail, it is something they chose to do.
I don't believe you can rehabilatate most criminals.

If you want criminals to get paid min. wage, then they are making roughly 19K a year.
Mean while the single mother not in jail is working a mintage job making the same amount while she has to pay for her child, place to live, bills and food. So tell me how it that fair? If people made almost 20K a year in prison people would commit crimes just to go there. 5 years in the pen gives you 100K. Petty good money to get your life together.
I don't think you fully appreciate how complicated our legal system is and how easy it is to do something illegal without even being aware of it. I also don't feel it has to be an either/or thing. We can't fix one problem because the other problem is equally unfair? That's just an excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 08:19 PM

23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Quote:
Wait how do I feel righteous? The people did crimes to put themselves in jail, it is something they chose to do.
I don't believe you can rehabilatate most criminals.

If you want criminals to get paid min. wage, then they are making roughly 19K a year.
Mean while the single mother not in jail is working a mintage job making the same amount while she has to pay for her child, place to live, bills and food. So tell me how it that fair? If people made almost 20K a year in prison people would commit crimes just to go there. 5 years in the pen gives you 100K. Petty good money to get your life together.
If companies are mandated to pay the minimum wage to prison labor they won't hire them at all because there are no cost savings. They will hire regular workers in the outside. Which might be a good idea. I don't like the idea of prison labor competing with honest workers for private sector jobs. Now if they were doing work for certainly public sector jobs I might not mind costs being kept down this way. Letting the prisoners get used to work could potentially help get them used to life on the outside. I wouldn't want them to be forced to work. But if they could sign up for work to get reduced sentences and they demonstrated good behavior;

Old 10-01-2015, 08:53 PM

5,732 posts, read 5,177,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post

Also, most prisoners don't walk out with 100k in savings from their 75 cents an hour jobs. They spend that money in the commissary on snacks and personal care items.
Of course they don't now cause they are not paid min. wage. They are paid .75 cents.
My example was if they were being paid min. wage, which is about $9 an hour. IF they made that over 5 years time it would be 100K, minus taxes of course so say 80K. Your not gonna spend 80K in 5 years on snacks and personal items. **** you could spend $1000 a year and still walk out with 75K in savings.

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 10-01-2015 at 09:01 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
I don't think you fully appreciate how complicated our legal system is and how easy it is to do something illegal without even being aware of it. I also don't feel it has to be an either/or thing. We can't fix one problem because the other problem is equally unfair? That's just an excuse.
I'm pretty sure I know how to behave to not land me in jail. Don't hurt someone, steal, misbehave, act inappropriately, lie, etc...

Old 10-01-2015, 09:06 PM

23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I know how to behave to not land me in jail. Don't hurt someone, steal, misbehave, act inappropriately, lie, etc...
Unless it's a terrible crime first time offenders are often let go in the condition that they not repeat the crime within six months. Then their record gets erased. Or for those that do get convicted the first time the sentence might be a short time in jail and probation. Long term prison sentences are for repeat offenders or those who did serious crimes.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If companies are mandated to pay the minimum wage to prison labor they won't hire them at all because there are no cost savings. They will hire regular workers in the outside. Which might be a good idea. I don't like the idea of prison labor competing with honest workers for private sector jobs. Now if they were doing work for certainly public sector jobs I might not mind costs being kept down this way. Letting the prisoners get used to work could potentially help get them used to life on the outside. I wouldn't want them to be forced to work. But if they could sign up for work to get reduced sentences and they demonstrated good behavior;
Maybe all the companies the government bailed out should have to pay back the debt and work in prisons for free

Old 10-02-2015, 07:05 AM

372 posts, read 285,441 times
Quote:
In other words you really have no idea how many laws we have on the books. Do you have a cc license? Because regulations on how to properly store and carry your gun when you're traveling between counties, cities and states can change and what's legal in one county can land you in jail in the next one if a cop pulls you over. That's just one example out of thousands of ways you can get arrested and screwed over.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:02 AM

20,169 posts, read 26,469,688 times
Quote:
Maybe all the companies the government bailed out should have to pay back the debt and work in prisons for free
No, you see, corporations are persons under law with all the benefits that accrue to personhood UNTIL they commit a crime. Then they become non-persons, like a lamp. You cannot very well imprison a lamp.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:14 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,699,828 times
The prisoners are learning valuable career skills! I can just see the scene in some artisanal bakery or whatever, "hey man cool prison-style tats"..."

Old 10-02-2015, 10:28 AM

11,832 posts, read 7,718,890 times
We should put more prisoners to work than just keeping them in solitude. Punishment is one thing but making people become productive members of society is more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City