U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 10:01 AM

3,491 posts, read 1,209,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
So you think they deserve min wage? **** why bother living on the outside world? Go to jail and get fee food and rent and have no bills and save money.
Since you think life in prison is so great, what's keeping you from going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 1,994 times
I agree they should do social work instead of being employed by whole foods.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
Do you want to rehabilitate people and make them productive members of society so they don't reoffend, or do you just want to punish people to make yourself feel righteous? Because guess which one leads to overpopulated prisons and homeless problems that people are always complaining about?
Most people just want to complain and punish. The fact that most inmates come out of prison worse does not seem to get thru to their closed minds.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
The culture in the U.S. at present is more based on retribution. In some other countries the focus is more on rehabilitation and as a result far fewer inmates reoffend. We are far too wiling to throw adults and children into prison for even relatively minor offenses--it's irrational.

Also, most prisoners don't walk out with 100k in savings from their 75 cents an hour jobs. They spend that money in the commissary on snacks and personal care items.
Where do most people get their ideas about prison life from?! The media, television, and politicians. These are three very dishonest sources of info. I did 3 years - never got paid a cent. I'm not complaining, but I am sick of peoples opinions on inmates being based on ignorance (lack of knowledge).

Old 10-02-2015, 12:15 PM

5,704 posts, read 5,161,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Since you think life in prison is so great, what's keeping you from going?
Please tell me where I said I think prison life is so great and I would like to live there?

I'm an honest productive member of society I will not be living in the cage.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:28 PM

You talked about free food, no rent or bills and saving money. Stop believing what your TV tells you about life in prison. There are plenty of innocent people in prison- who were "honest productive members of society". There are also plenty of "dishonest members of society" who are "free. You'll find many working as politicians and in the legal system.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:39 PM

20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
If Whole Foods is using prison labor I will boycott the store. (At those prices it isn't all that hard.)

Old 10-02-2015, 01:19 PM

19,159 posts, read 32,695,448 times
Prisoners should be used to help with civil projects, not to help maximize profit for private companies.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-02-2015, 01:25 PM

5,704 posts, read 5,161,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
You talked about free food, no rent or bills and saving money. Stop believing what your TV tells you about life in prison. There are plenty of innocent people in prison- who were "honest productive members of society". There are also plenty of "dishonest members of society" who are "free. You'll find many working as politicians and in the legal system.
I don't own a TV so please don't tell me where I learn things.

Anyway you missed my point, my point was IF prisons made min. wage in prison. It was hypothetical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City