U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2015, 03:14 PM
 
18,288 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Reputation: 11936

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
We need to look at different options then:

http://nypassivehouse.org/

Solar Energy | SEIA

What is Hempcrete? | American Lime Technology Website

Affordable housing should not even be built unless it's using some of the options I listed above.

Time for NYC and developers to start building more effectively.
In case you missed it passive housing both private residences and apartment buildings are being built in NYC. That isn't the point.

New York is one of the most expensive places to build *anything* for reasons starting with the cost of land/development to labor and so forth. Just navigating the byzantine NYC system of zoning, permits, and so forth alone requires a small army of persons just to push papers/wait in lines.

Problem is that New York City does not own much if any land for housing development empty or not. Those that do want plenty of money for their properties which makes building anything very expensive. Hence the reasons you are seeing mostly housing for the upper middle class to wealthy.

What NYC seems to be on a path to is rezoning vast amounts of commercial/industrial areas into residential. Well that may work but where are businesses/commercial activity going to go? Where are persons going to work at jobs that pay wages they can afford even "affordable" housing being built.

New York City is lone in this thinking that *everyone* needs to live within its limits. Other major cities world around have persons who commute into the urban area then go back home. Granted Paris, London, etc... all have vastly better transit systems and urban is integrated with suburban so to make things seamless as possible.

Beautiful downtown Brooklyn is starting to look like Wall Street across the water. That is the only way NYC has prayer of creating nearly enough affordable housing but who wants to live like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2015, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,161 posts, read 32,707,062 times
Reputation: 7583
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
In case you missed it passive housing both private residences and apartment buildings are being built in NYC. That isn't the point.
What percentage of those are affordable housing projects?I know in general passive housing is being used in the city....the first link after all, said NYpassivehouse.org....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
New York is one of the most expensive places to build *anything* for reasons starting with the cost of land/development to labor and so forth. Just navigating the byzantine NYC system of zoning, permits, and so forth alone requires a small army of persons just to push papers/wait in lines.
But buildings still go up, amirite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Problem is that New York City does not own much if any land for housing development empty or not. Those that do want plenty of money for their properties which makes building anything very expensive. Hence the reasons you are seeing mostly housing for the upper middle class to wealthy.

What NYC seems to be on a path to is rezoning vast amounts of commercial/industrial areas into residential. Well that may work but where are businesses/commercial activity going to go? Where are persons going to work at jobs that pay wages they can afford even "affordable" housing being built.

New York City is lone in this thinking that *everyone* needs to live within its limits. Other major cities world around have persons who commute into the urban area then go back home. Granted Paris, London, etc... all have vastly better transit systems and urban is integrated with suburban so to make things seamless as possible.

Beautiful downtown Brooklyn is starting to look like Wall Street across the water. That is the only way NYC has prayer of creating nearly enough affordable housing but who wants to live like that?
My point was to illustrate that there is a cheaper and more sustainable way to build, which will help offset some of the costs.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 04:30 PM
 
18,288 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Reputation: 11936
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What percentage of those are affordable housing projects?I know in general passive housing is being used in the city....the first link after all, said NYpassivehouse.org....



But buildings still go up, amirite?



My point was to illustrate that there is a cheaper and more sustainable way to build, which will help offset some of the costs.
*Help* and *offset* are minor words when it comes to building anything in NYC. Last one looked the technologies and whatever else you mentioned provide "savings" over years in *theory*, what will happen in actuality is anyone's guess.

Yes, buildings are still going up but these properties are more or less being developed for persons who can afford to live in them. What is so difficult about that concept for people to understand?

Developers will put up buildings they know (or hope) units will sell or rent at rates they can recoup costs and make a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,161 posts, read 32,707,062 times
Reputation: 7583
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
*Help* and *offset* are minor words when it comes to building anything in NYC. Last one looked the technologies and whatever else you mentioned provide "savings" over years in *theory*, what will happen in actuality is anyone's guess.

Yes, buildings are still going up but these properties are more or less being developed for persons who can afford to live in them. What is so difficult about that concept for people to understand?

Developers will put up buildings they know (or hope) units will sell or rent at rates they can recoup costs and make a profit.
Right....so they should use different means and methods of construction to keep future maintenance costs down. Another useful method is modular construction. I see the affordable housing ads all the time they make to mention of how these buildings are constructed. The only affordable project I know of that utilizes solar power is the new project that they're putting up by the Gateway Mall in Brooklyn. Also, here is an example of environmentally responsible affordable housing being built around my way:

http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/02/reve...-edgemere.html
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 05:11 PM
 
23,262 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
NYC and to an extent NYS Democratic party has become beholden to liberals, African Americans, Latinos and Hispanics along with a few other minorities. However they are being played and just don't realize it until too late. Nurses and others backed de Boob because he promised to "save" LICH and even got himself arrested for that cause. Once elected the mayor got schooled and soon backed off.

That is de Boob all over; he makes or made these liberal/progressive and even socialist promises/statements then someone sits him down. Afterwards we hear a totally different story as the man realizes what he promised just isn't going to happen.

This whole "affordable housing" scheme rests on private developers willing to get into bed with NYC government. Some will when it benefits themselves, others will out of altruistic reasons; but others will simply not mainly because they've seen too many fingers burned.
All that means is that de Blasio is the typical politician who will say anything to get elected. Anyway it's not really in the city's best interest to have too much subsidized housing. They benefit from the high real estate tax revenues coming in.

NYC is the nations business capital. It won't get a lot of new affordable housing. Most of the permanent new affordable housing is going up in bad parts of Brooklyn or the Bronx. This is as much of the city gets gentrified, the poor will be concentrated on areas deemed bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 05:14 PM
 
23,262 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Reputation: 8543
On a lot of people do move out yo Jersey or Westchester because they cannot afford NYC, look at all the posts to that effect on this forum alone. Of course NYC doesn't think or want everyone living here. A lot of poor immigrants have moved to Naddau county where they take the bus to the subway in Jamaica, Queens. The suburbs are getting poorer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 06:06 PM
 
328 posts, read 230,536 times
Reputation: 553
The government needs to get out of the housing business completely and return to a market system. That would entail phasing out HUD, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, FHA, mortgage bailouts, Section 8, housing projects, mortgage interest deductions, rent control, rent stabilization, Mitchell Lama, 80/20, 421a, HDFC, taxpayer-funded shelters, overly strict regulations that prevent new construction, etc.

If the government must be involved in housing, it should be in the form of vouchers given to citizens who meet strict criteria. And those should be for a limited amount of time, not for life.

All able bodied/minded individuals should be for finding housing that they can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 08:10 AM
 
9,321 posts, read 13,860,926 times
Reputation: 9365
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
how much money has been spent on middle eastern wars alone?
You seen oil prices lately? Those wars are paying off big time. Can you say the same for infrastructure spending that rarely results in new infrastructure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 09:43 AM
 
791 posts, read 1,211,566 times
Reputation: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

New York City is lone in this thinking that *everyone* needs to live within its limits. Other major cities world around have persons who commute into the urban area then go back home. Granted Paris, London, etc... all have vastly better transit systems and urban is integrated with suburban so to make things seamless as possible.

You mean. like Long Island? The Long Island Railroad is pretty good. It's the biggest commuter rail system in the country.

However, then you have to live on Long Island, aka Dung Island, Nausea County, etc. It even looks like a big dog poop on the map. Yuck. I'll make many sacrifices to live here in Civilization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 09:50 AM
 
791 posts, read 1,211,566 times
Reputation: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post

All able bodied/minded individuals should be for finding housing that they can afford.
All in favor of it. Perhaps the government should encourage the construction of SRO's where people who make 10 - 15 bucks an hour can live. Instead of providing sweetheart deals for developers in exchange for a piddly number of units of "affordable" housing that I still can't afford.

The latter winds up being welfare for the rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top