U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 09:14 PM

18,242 posts, read 11,653,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls2012 View Post
Believe me if I had the option I would pick any place but there, I have been to Staten Island before and it was definitely an inconvenient location but I could not find any other place for such a low price. I will be looking for other places once I'm in new york but for now this is the only assured room I have.
I saw all the surrounding fast food stores and restaurants on google maps as well as the route to the ferry port (which say's should be around 25 minutes).
What I need to know is a) if it would be safe to leave my possessions in that house while I'm out and b) if the routes to the ferry port and food stores are safe. From what I have heard it would be best to stick to forest avenue and not go up north.

We cannot answer to about the place you are staying because we don't know them. Is this a private house? Does your room have a lock on the door? What sort of persons are renting out this room? Trust me read the local newspaper (Staten Island Advance) and you'll hear about some landlords who rent apartments in single, two or multifamily homes pulling all sorts of fast ones.

Due a shortage of dedicated rental housing and the overwhelming housing stock of one, two, three and four family houses Staten Island has no shortage of homeowners who rent out "rooms". Some do things by the book others are out for what they can get. That is the apartments/rooms are not registered as such and everything is off the books (cash). This provides a nice cash income for some and it happens all over the Rock. In Port Richmond (the town before MH) there are scores of "apartments" for rent that are carved out of one and two family homes. These are mostly rented to Latino/Hispanics and usually the conditions are crowded.

When you arrive at your new apartment/room check things out. Ask questions. Will you have your own key to the place. Is your room/apartment in the basement (common) on the ground or upper floor? If the first two especially the basement does the window have bars? Are these windows secure?

Personally I wouldn't live anyplace in a "room" that I couldn't lock/secure during my absence. But that is just me.

As for personal safety getting back and forth from your apartment as one said the worst parts of MH are west going towards South Avenue and Arlington: Afraid to leave their homes: Staten Island residents scared by wave of violence in their community | SILive.com

You have no business going over there so *DON'T* If you need to say for shopping or whatever stick to Forest Avenue or south of it. Overall Staten Island is the safest borough of NYC, it is just three pockets that have the most trouble. Sadly for you one of them is MH. Staten Island - DNAinfo.com Crime and Safety Report

If you are waiting for a bus no one is going to drive by and shoot if that is what you are worried about. Here is the NYPD crime report for the past week for the MH area: Crimes in your backyard: The NYPD's 121st Precinct, Sept. 21-27 | SILive.com

As you can see all things considered things aren't that bad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 11:32 PM

4 posts, read 4,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
We cannot answer to about the place you are staying because we don't know them. Is this a private house? Does your room have a lock on the door? What sort of persons are renting out this room? Trust me read the local newspaper (Staten Island Advance) and you'll hear about some landlords who rent apartments in single, two or multifamily homes pulling all sorts of fast ones.

Due a shortage of dedicated rental housing and the overwhelming housing stock of one, two, three and four family houses Staten Island has no shortage of homeowners who rent out "rooms". Some do things by the book others are out for what they can get. That is the apartments/rooms are not registered as such and everything is off the books (cash). This provides a nice cash income for some and it happens all over the Rock. In Port Richmond (the town before MH) there are scores of "apartments" for rent that are carved out of one and two family homes. These are mostly rented to Latino/Hispanics and usually the conditions are crowded.

When you arrive at your new apartment/room check things out. Ask questions. Will you have your own key to the place. Is your room/apartment in the basement (common) on the ground or upper floor? If the first two especially the basement does the window have bars? Are these windows secure?

Personally I wouldn't live anyplace in a "room" that I couldn't lock/secure during my absence. But that is just me.

As for personal safety getting back and forth from your apartment as one said the worst parts of MH are west going towards South Avenue and Arlington: Afraid to leave their homes: Staten Island residents scared by wave of violence in their community | SILive.com

You have no business going over there so *DON'T* If you need to say for shopping or whatever stick to Forest Avenue or south of it. Overall Staten Island is the safest borough of NYC, it is just three pockets that have the most trouble. Sadly for you one of them is MH. Staten Island - DNAinfo.com Crime and Safety Report

If you are waiting for a bus no one is going to drive by and shoot if that is what you are worried about. Here is the NYPD crime report for the past week for the MH area: Crimes in your backyard: The NYPD's 121st Precinct, Sept. 21-27 | SILive.com

As you can see all things considered things aren't that bad.
The landlord is actually one of my mums friends who I have met before, I'm not really worried about my stuff being stolen from someone in the house, but the possibility of a break-in.
She told me the house was in a safe area but when I googled the name of the neighborhood all the articles were about shootings, robberies, and forum posts telling people to stay away lol
I also saw that link you posted about people being too scared to step out of their homes.
I just wanted to know if the specific area I was staying in was like that or not.
Here in the UK I live in a suburban area with a very low crime rate, however the hood is only a 10 minute drive from here and both areas are considered one place by people who aren't from around here. However it is possible to travel almost anywhere in london from my house without ever having to cross that area. I actually used to live there and go to school there before moving here and it's easy to avoid trouble as long as you know what you're doing.
Is it a similar situation with Mariners Harbor? The only reason I'm so paranoid is because of the items I'm bringing with me which I don't want to end up losing. If I was backpacking or something I wouldn't really care where I was staying.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:30 AM

Quote:
The landlord is actually one of my mums friends who I have met before, I'm not really worried about my stuff being stolen from someone in the house, but the possibility of a break-in.
She told me the house was in a safe area but when I googled the name of the neighborhood all the articles were about shootings, robberies, and forum posts telling people to stay away lol
I also saw that link you posted about people being too scared to step out of their homes.
I just wanted to know if the specific area I was staying in was like that or not.
Here in the UK I live in a suburban area with a very low crime rate, however the hood is only a 10 minute drive from here and both areas are considered one place by people who aren't from around here. However it is possible to travel almost anywhere in london from my house without ever having to cross that area. I actually used to live there and go to school there before moving here and it's easy to avoid trouble as long as you know what you're doing.
Is it a similar situation with Mariners Harbor? The only reason I'm so paranoid is because of the items I'm bringing with me which I don't want to end up losing. If I was backpacking or something I wouldn't really care where I was staying.
Oh well if you are staying with family friends that places a totally different complexion on things.

Anyone's home can be broken into on Staten Island. If your mother's friend hasn't had any problems and or she knows her street well and has taken precautions then you really have not much to worry about. I mean persons living in nice areas of Manhattan have break-ins or worse woken up to find some stranger in their place.

Just take the usual precautions by not keeping valuable stuff in plain sight. That is if you are leaving for the day or whatever stash stuff so God forbid someone did break in it won't be in plain sight.

Your home situation sounds just like the part of MH you'll be staying. That street is decent enough but as one said just a few blocks west is a *hood*. Your mother's friend will know all about the area and likely give you a run down (if not tour) so I shouldn't worry.

Staten Island is very much like "suburban" parts of London, so you'll get on once you know where and who to avoid. The parts mentioned in news links are mostly west of where you are staying around South Avenue and beyond below Forest Avenue.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:53 AM

3,674 posts, read 5,851,772 times
Staten Island neighborhoods can be strange in that you can be in a bad area, but walk 2 blocks and be fine. I'm a native of the North Shore, so PM me anytime. Do you know a nearby cross street? I had relatives in the 100 block of Maple Pkwy until just about 4 months ago and they never had a problem, but they were well-known and lived there over 50 years.

You'll be OK. Just have common sense.

The local bus to the Ferry is the S48. It's usually about 30-40 minutes from MPkwy, but allow for traffic and snow.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:55 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,294,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
You'll be fine. Maple Parkway by Forest isn't the worst. Just don't wander too far at night on foot. Keep your stuff hidden in a backpack etc. Common sense stuff. Are you a kid or an adult with access to a car? I wouldn't want to be taking public transportation over there and have to wait around at bus stops.
I've waited around at bus stops in the neighborhood in the dark and was fine.

Quote:
I'm coming to new york as a student so that was literally the only area I was able to find a room in my price range.
The only place I need to travel to is the ferry port, and maybe some fast food stores. Are the routes safe from where I am?
I definitely won't be hanging out anywhere around staten island so would I be able to avoid the really bad areas when travelling by bus to the ferry port or food stores?
Just a word of advice: For a few extra dollars, you can take a direct bus to Manhattan, rather than dealing with the bus-ferry commute. The X12, X30, and X42 run along Forest Avenue, and go to Downtown & Midtown Manhattan (even for Upper Manhattan, it is quicker to take the express bus and then take the subway, rather than take the ferry and subway).

They run rush hours only, though. Otherwise, another option is to take the X10 to Forest & Richmond and catch the S48 from there.

It's $6.50 per trip, or $57.25 per week.

Quote:
Main bus routes to the Ferry are along Forest Avenue or Richmond Terrance, there might be Express bus service as well. Depending upon where you are and how much you are willing to walk: http://i.imgur.com/b838r.png
The S46/96 runs along Walker Street & Brabant Street, serving the "interior" of the neighborhood if you will (the areas that are too far from Forest Avenue or Richmond Terrace). There's a stop right at Maple & Walloon (I used to work at P.S.44 back in high school, so I know that area well).

Quote:
I saw all the surrounding fast food stores and restaurants on google maps as well as the route to the ferry port (which say's should be around 25 minutes).
It depends on the time of day. If you're going really early (like 5AM) or coming back late (like after 9PM), then the bus ride itself is about 25 minutes. Otherwise, it's usually around 40-45 minutes, plus the waiting time for the ferry.

Quote:
In Port Richmond (the town before MH) there are scores of "apartments" for rent that are carved out of one and two family homes. These are mostly rented to Latino/Hispanics and usually the conditions are crowded.
Technically, it's Elm Park that's before Mariners Harbor.

Quote:
I'd say Netherland Avenue and south is fairly safe, even by South Avenue (though not quite as safe as the areas further west, since people from the projects and Arlington still pass through on their way to Forest Avenue).

Quote:
It's not just three pockets. It's areas that include New Brighton, Mariners Harbor, and Stapleton. The northern parts of Port Richmond & West Brighton, as well as Park Hill also have a lot of trouble. And the people in that newspaper don't know SI neighborhoods very well, so they're not going to distinguish between the southern part of Mariners Harbor, and Arlington and the parts closer to Richmond Terrace. (The same way living by St. Peters Boys is completely different than living by Jersey Street in New Brighton).

Old 10-03-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I've waited around at bus stops in the neighborhood in the dark and was fine.

Just a word of advice: For a few extra dollars, you can take a direct bus to Manhattan, rather than dealing with the bus-ferry commute. The X12, X30, and X42 run along Forest Avenue, and go to Downtown & Midtown Manhattan (even for Upper Manhattan, it is quicker to take the express bus and then take the subway, rather than take the ferry and subway).

They run rush hours only, though. Otherwise, another option is to take the X10 to Forest & Richmond and catch the S48 from there.

It's $6.50 per trip, or $57.25 per week.

The S46/96 runs along Walker Street & Brabant Street, serving the "interior" of the neighborhood if you will (the areas that are too far from Forest Avenue or Richmond Terrace). There's a stop right at Maple & Walloon (I used to work at P.S.44 back in high school, so I know that area well).

It depends on the time of day. If you're going really early (like 5AM) or coming back late (like after 9PM), then the bus ride itself is about 25 minutes. Otherwise, it's usually around 40-45 minutes, plus the waiting time for the ferry.

Technically, it's Elm Park that's before Mariners Harbor.

I'd say Netherland Avenue and south is fairly safe, even by South Avenue (though not quite as safe as the areas further west, since people from the projects and Arlington still pass through on their way to Forest Avenue).

It's not just three pockets. It's areas that include New Brighton, Mariners Harbor, and Stapleton. The northern parts of Port Richmond & West Brighton, as well as Park Hill also have a lot of trouble. And the people in that newspaper don't know SI neighborhoods very well, so they're not going to distinguish between the southern part of Mariners Harbor, and Arlington and the parts closer to Richmond Terrace. (The same way living by St. Peters Boys is completely different than living by Jersey Street in New Brighton).
Close friend of mine in HS went out with a guy who lived on South Avenue just before Netherland back in the day. It was fine then, but quite honestly the closer you get to the RR tracks and certainly Arlington Place it is a straight up hood.

It is sad because from about the Arlington Place area going down to RT you have some nice homes. They've even built new town/track houses (what else?) around Merserau Avenue and the residents look pretty cool.

It is sad because

Always forget about "Elm Park" and just lump it in with MH.

As someone stated upthread many areas on the Rock in particular the NS can be a block by block thing when it comes to "hood". Shame that large parts of West Brighton have been incorporated into the hood. Previously it was only the Markham Homes area and around the West Brighton Houses, and even then back in the day it wasn't too bad. Now you couldn't pay me to go anywhere near Castleton and Broadway.

No, many writing for or in the Advance seem not to know Staten Island very well. Have seen Bement Avenue referred to as "Randall Manor" which it clearly is not.

One thing I don't miss is taking buses on Staten Island. Long as am able will always drive. Waiting outside in all sorts of weather, making transfers and or walking blocks.... Nah, won't do it again... *LOL*

Last edited by BugsyPal; 10-03-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 10-06-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I'm moving to New York next week from the UK and I will be staying in Mariners Harbor in Staten Island. The house is in Maple Parkway just above Forest Avenue.
I have heard Mariners Harbor is a very bad area with multiple shootings and robberies, however I have seen people say it's not as bad the more you go down south compared to the northern parts of the neighborhood. Is the area I'm staying in generally safer than the rest of the neighborhood? I will be bringing items such as an ipad, macbook, ps4 to keep at the house. Would it be safe or is there a chance I can get robbed?
Here is some of MH and history: MARINERS HARBOR/OLD PLACE, Staten Island | | Forgotten New YorkForgotten New York

And recent news item: CBS New York » Mariners Harbor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or