U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 10:03 PM

4 posts, read 4,578 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to New York next week from the UK and I will be staying in Mariners Harbor in Staten Island. The house is in Maple Parkway just above Forest Avenue.
I have heard Mariners Harbor is a very bad area with multiple shootings and robberies, however I have seen people say it's not as bad the more you go down south compared to the northern parts of the neighborhood. Is the area I'm staying in generally safer than the rest of the neighborhood? I will be bringing items such as an ipad, macbook, ps4 to keep at the house. Would it be safe or is there a chance I can get robbed?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 11:46 PM

318 posts, read 222,176 times
The Harbor is not a good place. Not good at all.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:41 AM

516 posts, read 649,298 times
The neighborhoods fine and its 20x better then it was a decade ago.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:04 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,368,952 times
You'll be fine. Maple Parkway by Forest isn't the worst. Just don't wander too far at night on foot. Keep your stuff hidden in a backpack etc. Common sense stuff. Are you a kid or an adult with access to a car? I wouldn't want to be taking public transportation over there and have to wait around at bus stops.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:16 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,206,239 times
Mariners harbor is a ****hole, they should just cage the animals up and let them kill each other, stay away from the projects and the inner side streets of the neighborhood, by forest Ave isn't the worst, once your get closer to the terrace and brabrant st, good luck

Old 10-02-2015, 05:38 PM

18,258 posts, read 11,653,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls2012 View Post
I'm moving to New York next week from the UK and I will be staying in Mariners Harbor in Staten Island. The house is in Maple Parkway just above Forest Avenue.
I have heard Mariners Harbor is a very bad area with multiple shootings and robberies, however I have seen people say it's not as bad the more you go down south compared to the northern parts of the neighborhood. Is the area I'm staying in generally safer than the rest of the neighborhood? I will be bringing items such as an ipad, macbook, ps4 to keep at the house. Would it be safe or is there a chance I can get robbed?
Why on earth are you going to Staten Island much less MH?

In any event Maple Parkway runs north of Forest avenue towards Richmond Terrance. Not far from Real Madrid for those that know the Rock.

That area isn't *that* bad for MH. Above Forest would be better but still. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6304...8i6656!6m1!1e1

You have older small Cape Cod type houses on large to medium lots alongside newer duplex and townhouses. The latter were usually built after tearing down a small one family house and putting up a two family duplex or townhouse in its place. In fact the area including Maple Parkway has a surplus of tear downs and new construction.

Demographic wise you have a mix. Some old timer Italian, Irish... northern European descent but heavy on the various minorities (African American Latino/Hispanic). In general people keep up their properties nice and the area isn't a "hood" per se. Just keep your guard up and if anything go south towards Forest Avenue rather than north (Richmond Terrace) if by foot. Driving wise anything is fine.

Depending where on MP you are living and how you are getting around yes, I'd keep anything expensive such as electronics and so forth on the down low. That is if you are taking the bus and get off at Richmond Terrance and have to walk home don't have your phone or whatever out and be staring down into it not paying attention. Coming down from Forest while a bit safer it is all relative.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannik508 View Post
The Harbor is not a good place. Not good at all.
From the Expressway to perhaps Harbor Road and from Forest for a few blocks north MH isn't *that* bad. The closer you get to South Avenue (below Forest) yea, it is a hood all the way down to Richmond Terrace.

The blocks closer to Forest have retained some of the qualities you find south of that avenue in Graniteville.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Why on earth are you going to Staten Island much less MH?

In any event Maple Parkway runs north of Forest avenue towards Richmond Terrance. Not far from Real Madrid for those that know the Rock.

That area isn't *that* bad for MH. Above Forest would be better but still. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6304...8i6656!6m1!1e1

You have older small Cape Cod type houses on large to medium lots alongside newer duplex and townhouses. The latter were usually built after tearing down a small one family house and putting up a two family duplex or townhouse in its place. In fact the area including Maple Parkway has a surplus of tear downs and new construction.

Demographic wise you have a mix. Some old timer Italian, Irish... northern European descent but heavy on the various minorities (African American Latino/Hispanic). In general people keep up their properties nice and the area isn't a "hood" per se. Just keep your guard up and if anything go south towards Forest Avenue rather than north (Richmond Terrace) if by foot. Driving wise anything is fine.

Depending where on MP you are living and how you are getting around yes, I'd keep anything expensive such as electronics and so forth on the down low. That is if you are taking the bus and get off at Richmond Terrance and have to walk home don't have your phone or whatever out and be staring down into it not paying attention. Coming down from Forest while a bit safer it is all relative.
I'm coming to new york as a student so that was literally the only area I was able to find a room in my price range.
The only place I need to travel to is the ferry port, and maybe some fast food stores. Are the routes safe from where I am?
I definitely won't be hanging out anywhere around staten island so would I be able to avoid the really bad areas when travelling by bus to the ferry port or food stores?

Old 10-02-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls2012 View Post
I'm coming to new york as a student so that was literally the only area I was able to find a room in my price range.
The only place I need to travel to is the ferry port, and maybe some fast food stores. Are the routes safe from where I am?
I definitely won't be hanging out anywhere around staten island so would I be able to avoid the really bad areas when travelling by bus to the ferry port or food stores?
You couldn't find anything else with better access to Manhattan such as Queens? Brooklyn? even the Bronx? Nothing at least in Saint George area? You realize you'll have one long bus ride twice per day getting to and from the Ferry.

Grew up on Staten Island and had/have family out that way (plus again we loves our Real Madrid, *LOL*).

Main bus routes to the Ferry are along Forest Avenue or Richmond Terrance, there might be Express bus service as well. Depending upon where you are and how much you are willing to walk: http://i.imgur.com/b838r.png

Again I'd stay off Richmond Terrace area at night or overnight hours. If you get off a bus at night walk home with your wits about you. If you see something or person suspicious avoid it. In terms of waiting for a bus to get to the Ferry there are apps now that will tell you when the next bus is scheduled to arrive at a particular stop. Use them and time yourself so you aren't standing around waiting for long periods.

As I and others have said that part of MH isn't a total hellhole. But it ain't Knightsbridge either.

Food store wise you find plenty of things on Forest Avenue. From fast food such as McDonalds to various take away. There are a couple shopping centers on Forest Avenue that have either fast food or restaurants who also do take away as well.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You couldn't find anything else with better access to Manhattan such as Queens? Brooklyn? even the Bronx? Nothing at least in Saint George area? You realize you'll have one long bus ride twice per day getting to and from the Ferry.

Grew up on Staten Island and had/have family out that way (plus again we loves our Real Madrid, *LOL*).

Main bus routes to the Ferry are along Forest Avenue or Richmond Terrance, there might be Express bus service as well. Depending upon where you are and how much you are willing to walk: http://i.imgur.com/b838r.png

Again I'd stay off Richmond Terrace area at night or overnight hours. If you get off a bus at night walk home with your wits about you. If you see something or person suspicious avoid it. In terms of waiting for a bus to get to the Ferry there are apps now that will tell you when the next bus is scheduled to arrive at a particular stop. Use them and time yourself so you aren't standing around waiting for long periods.

As I and others have said that part of MH isn't a total hellhole. But it ain't Knightsbridge either.

Food store wise you find plenty of things on Forest Avenue. From fast food such as McDonalds to various take away. There are a couple shopping centers on Forest Avenue that have either fast food or restaurants who also do take away as well.
Believe me if I had the option I would pick any place but there, I have been to Staten Island before and it was definitely an inconvenient location but I could not find any other place for such a low price. I will be looking for other places once I'm in new york but for now this is the only assured room I have.
I saw all the surrounding fast food stores and restaurants on google maps as well as the route to the ferry port (which say's should be around 25 minutes).
What I need to know is a) if it would be safe to leave my possessions in that house while I'm out and b) if the routes to the ferry port and food stores are safe. From what I have heard it would be best to stick to forest avenue and not go up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or