U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:45 PM

18,260 posts, read 11,663,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Sadly now so many places on Bway and Amsterdam are out of business now probably due to the increase in rent.
Columbus isn't that much better either. In fact things are tough all over Manhattan in that regard; there are empty store fronts from Tribeca to Harlem. Walked up Madison Avenue lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 09:33 PM

5,682 posts, read 5,158,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Columbus isn't that much better either. In fact things are tough all over Manhattan in that regard; there are empty store fronts from Tribeca to Harlem. Walked up Madison Avenue lately?
Ya I know its like that everywhere. I read the post about the village's empty store fronts and it didn't surprise me at all. UWS just hits home as I lived there for many years.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Ya I know its like that everywhere. I read the post about the village's empty store fronts and it didn't surprise me at all. UWS just hits home as I lived there for many years.

It really brings down property values and the tone of an area all these empty stores. Worse it seems to act as a beacon for homeless and sketchy characters to set up house.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:46 PM

3,336 posts, read 3,127,262 times
Quote:
After all previous industrial sections/warehouses are converted into residential buildings, these abandoned commercial RE will be next on the list. The eventual goal: Manhattan will become 80% residential to accommodate the rising demand of housing from all over.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:49 PM

5,682 posts, read 5,158,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It really brings down property values and the tone of an area all these empty stores. Worse it seems to act as a beacon for homeless and sketchy characters to set up house.
Yup like said on an earlier post there are lots of shady characters now on the UWS always begging for money.
The sad thing is the rent prices aren't going down.

I also use to live in Hells Kitchen and while the area around Port Authority has always been a bit sketchy, the general area is now a lot more sketchy as well.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:03 PM

3,336 posts, read 3,127,262 times
Quote:
Yup like said on an earlier post there are lots of shady characters now on the UWS always begging for money.
The sad thing is the rent prices aren't going down.

I also use to live in Hells Kitchen and while the area around Port Authority has always been a bit sketchy, the general area is now a lot more sketchy as well.

Are you saying that areas of Manhattan are getting worse in your experience?...

Old 10-02-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
After all previous industrial sections/warehouses are converted into residential buildings, these abandoned commercial RE will be next on the list. The eventual goal: Manhattan will become 80% residential to accommodate the rising demand of housing from all over.
Well in many instances it is only the commercial ground spaces that are vacant. Residential above be it condo, co-op or rental is fine. At least that is what I see in Manhattan. The only truly "empty" buildings are places say in the Village or elsewhere below 34th Street that either are for sale at very inflated prices or someone is trying to put together several lots in order to build something large.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:19 PM

1,204 posts, read 714,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Hello Folks,

Just got back to NYC, after a stint in London and I can say that New York seems so dirty of late.

I hang around off Broadway in the Upper West and I cannot recall the sidewalks being so filthy. UWS used to be as clean as UES for the most part, but now it has gone downhill.

I am Democrat in terms of my politics, but I don't recall parts of New York looking like this under Bloomberg

Maybe it is just me, but what on earth is going on..?
New York has periods when it's filthier than usual and cleaner than usual. Though I agree there's a slow but noticeable decline in sanitation standards, I think you probably caught the area on an unusually bad day.

Also the fact that you're making quite a jarring transition from sparkly London may not be helpful. Give your sensibilities a month or two to acclimate and the filth will become second nature.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:25 AM

1,003 posts, read 817,730 times
I guess NYC is reclaiming its 1970s ambiance, its gritty charms.

Growing up in NYC, I went to high school in the late 1970s, and college in the 1980s. I well recall that grimy, seedy, dangerous, concrete jungle of a city.

NYC is reverting to a concrete jungle? I should return for a visit. Walking those filthy Big Apple streets would make me feel young again!

Old 10-03-2015, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I guess NYC is reclaiming its 1970s ambiance, its gritty charms.

Growing up in NYC, I went to high school in the late 1970s, and college in the 1980s. I well recall that grimy, seedy, dangerous, concrete jungle of a city.

NYC is reverting to a concrete jungle? I should return for a visit. Walking those filthy Big Apple streets would make me feel young again!

Pssst, pssst! Excuse me Miss......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or