U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 02:50 AM

842 posts, read 616,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It really brings down property values and the tone of an area all these empty stores. Worse it seems to act as a beacon for homeless and sketchy characters to set up house.
That is down to the rise of ecommerce, it has taken chunks out of bricks and mortar retail. I predict most shopping streets will be Clothes, Coffee and Restaurants, everything else will go online...

Ok, like I said, I am a solid democrat, but I just don't recall the UWS being so dirty for as long as I remember. UES is still ok by comparison..

I would agree, some folks with strollers do act like they own the sidewalk

Maybe it will take me awhile to get used to it again. Also there do appear to way more dodgy types as well.. Columbus circle has loads at the moment.

Maybe the much feared decline has begun..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 07:19 AM

728 posts, read 494,618 times
Bunch of exaggerations in this thread. The city is so much cleaner than previous decades. And the Upper West Side is a pretty nice neighborhood, despite maybe not being the cleanest ( I really don't think the Upper East is much better, and there are plenty homeless up and down Lex). Let's calm down.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:06 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,683,467 times
The city is much cleaner than in previous decades. The initial poster is just trolling.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:22 AM

969 posts, read 600,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
UES is still ok by comparison.
Lexington avenue has not been looking too great. Probably not as bad as other areas, however.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:10 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,643,310 times
What I am finding is that while most of Manhattan might be looking a little grimier in the last few years my own neighborhood and the adjacent parks are looking much better. Don't really know how to explain this except maybe there has been a re allocation of resources to outer borough neighborhoods? Just a hunch. I see Parks Dept employees picking up litter along Pelham Parkway every day now whereas they used to do it only once or twice a week.This Summer the grass was cut every week like clockwork, used to be once a month.Parkland is kind of woven into this neighborhood and their appearance is one of the first things you notice and things are definitely looking much better around here.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:07 AM

4,914 posts, read 5,532,518 times
Given its one of the biggest/richest major cities in the world, its quite embarrassing given the condition its in.

Streets are filthy and smelly. Homeless people laying around everywhere you look. Subway system is filthy and smelly. Etc..

I travel to Montreal frequently and there's a night and day difference between the cleanliness and quality of life in Montreal compared to NYC.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:13 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,736,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Given its one of the biggest/richest major cities in the world, its quite embarrassing given the condition its in.

Streets are filthy and smelly. Homeless people laying around everywhere you look. Subway system is filthy and smelly. Etc..

I travel to Montreal frequently and there's a night and day difference between the cleanliness and quality of life in Montreal compared to NYC.
There's also a huge difference in millions of people. Whereas NYC is probably pushing 9 million if you include undocumented immigrants as opposed to Montreal which is less than 2 million...

Old 10-06-2015, 07:34 AM

4,914 posts, read 5,532,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
There's also a huge difference in millions of people. Whereas NYC is probably pushing 9 million if you include undocumented immigrants as opposed to Montreal which is less than 2 million...
Fair point, but with the huge budgets and resources we have here, there should be no reason why the city is in the condition that it's in.

-Garbage should not sit on sidewalks for days on end given the amount of people in this city and how fast garbage accumulates.

-The homeless crises should not be at the level that it's at for such a rich city. Its embarrassing as a New Yorker when I'm outside on my lunchbreak from work in midtown manhattan and look at how the tourists look around at all the homeless with a look of disgust on their face.

-The subway system is just flat out disgusting

-Road conditions are absolutely terrible. I've driven on dirt roads in 3rd world countries that were smoother than the roads here.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:43 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,512,851 times
Quote:
Hello Folks,

Just got back to NYC, after a stint in London and I can say that New York seems so dirty of late.

I hang around off Broadway in the Upper West and I cannot recall the sidewalks being so filthy. UWS used to be as clean as UES for the most part, but now it has gone downhill.

I am Democrat in terms of my politics, but I don't recall parts of New York looking like this under Bloomberg

Maybe it is just me, but what on earth is going on..?
NYC has always been dirty. Historically this has always been a dirty, smelly city.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:16 AM

23,262 posts, read 16,088,546 times
Quote:
That is down to the rise of ecommerce, it has taken chunks out of bricks and mortar retail. I predict most shopping streets will be Clothes, Coffee and Restaurants, everything else will go online...

Ok, like I said, I am a solid democrat, but I just don't recall the UWS being so dirty for as long as I remember. UES is still ok by comparison..

I would agree, some folks with strollers do act like they own the sidewalk

Maybe it will take me awhile to get used to it again. Also there do appear to way more dodgy types as well.. Columbus circle has loads at the moment.

Maybe the much feared decline has begun..
What are you doing in either UWS or UES? You should be magically uplifting the terribly oppressed Blacks in the housing projects in Brownsville and telling them wondrous tales of London (while wearing a bulletproof vest).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or