U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-02-2015, 08:59 PM
 
3 posts, read 3,573 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'm planning to drive to Flushing from Fort Lee NJ. I know that i can take GWB, but im only one person, so no car pull, and its a bit expensive. I know i can take BK bridge when coming back to NJ. I heard from a friend that she did not pay for tolls when driving back. so, Is there any toll free route from fort lee to Main st. flushing and making my way back ?

And, i want to know how much will be if i drive regularly not avoiding tolls.

Thanks guys.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2015, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,136 posts, read 32,666,756 times
Reputation: 7573
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaholmezle View Post
I'm planning to drive to Flushing from Fort Lee NJ. I know that i can take GWB, but im only one person, so no car pull, and its a bit expensive. I know i can take BK bridge when coming back to NJ. I heard from a friend that she did not pay for tolls when driving back. so, Is there any toll free route from fort lee to Main st. flushing and making my way back ?

And, i want to know how much will be if i drive regularly not avoiding tolls.

Thanks guys.
Your friend must have come back thru Staten Island, because you pay on the GWB coming into New York.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 09:33 PM
 
9,316 posts, read 13,844,848 times
Reputation: 9354
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaholmezle View Post
I heard from a friend that she did not pay for tolls when driving back. so, Is there any toll free route from fort lee to Main st. flushing and making my way back ?
Nearest toll free eastbound Hudson crossing is Albany. Good luck.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 09:37 PM
 
5,680 posts, read 5,154,796 times
Reputation: 3818
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaholmezle View Post
I'm planning to drive to Flushing from Fort Lee NJ. I know that i can take GWB, but im only one person, so no car pull, and its a bit expensive. I know i can take BK bridge when coming back to NJ. I heard from a friend that she did not pay for tolls when driving back. so, Is there any toll free route from fort lee to Main st. flushing and making my way back ?

And, i want to know how much will be if i drive regularly not avoiding tolls.

Thanks guys.
You could walk across the GW bridge and take the A train at 181 street to 42nd street then that the 7 train to flushing. That will cost you $5.50 round trip.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 09:43 PM
 
18,246 posts, read 11,653,926 times
Reputation: 11860
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaholmezle View Post
I'm planning to drive to Flushing from Fort Lee NJ. I know that i can take GWB, but im only one person, so no car pull, and its a bit expensive. I know i can take BK bridge when coming back to NJ. I heard from a friend that she did not pay for tolls when driving back. so, Is there any toll free route from fort lee to Main st. flushing and making my way back ?

And, i want to know how much will be if i drive regularly not avoiding tolls.

Thanks guys.
No, there isn't a "free" toll route back into Manhattan from New Jersey that I know of.

If you avoid the GWB you'll have to drive down the Garden State or New Jersey Turnpike (toll roads) to either the Bayonne or Goethals bridges where you'll pay another toll to get on Staten Island. From there yes, you can drive over the VNB and into Brooklyn onto Queens without paying further tolls.

All Port Authority bridges entering into New York (east bound) have the same tolls ($14 cash, $9.75 EZ-Pass) but are free going West bound (leaving New York), so you aren't saving any money driving all the way down to Bayonne or whatever. Worse you'll eat up all that gas getting to Staten Island, driving across it into Brooklyn then onto Queens. On and again the tolls on the GSP or NJT.

Suck it up and pay the tolls over the GWB. Bring your lunch to work for a few days or eat Ramen noodles for dinner if things are that bad. *LOL*
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 09:46 PM
 
3 posts, read 3,573 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Nearest toll free eastbound Hudson crossing is Albany. Good luck.
how long will this be ? and how much i will be paying ? thanks
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 09:50 PM
 
5,680 posts, read 5,154,796 times
Reputation: 3818
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaholmezle View Post
how long will this be ? and how much i will be paying ? thanks
Your Joking right?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 09:51 PM
 
3 posts, read 3,573 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No, there isn't a "free" toll route back into Manhattan from New Jersey that I know of.

If you avoid the GWB you'll have to drive down the Garden State or New Jersey Turnpike (toll roads) to either the Bayonne or Goethals bridges where you'll pay another toll to get on Staten Island. From there yes, you can drive over the VNB and into Brooklyn onto Queens without paying further tolls.

All Port Authority bridges entering into New York (east bound) have the same tolls ($14 cash, $9.75 EZ-Pass) but are free going West bound (leaving New York), so you aren't saving any money driving all the way down to Bayonne or whatever. Worse you'll eat up all that gas getting to Staten Island, driving across it into Brooklyn then onto Queens. On and again the tolls on the GSP or NJT.

Suck it up and pay the tolls over the GWB. Bring your lunch to work for a few days or eat Ramen noodles for dinner if things are that bad. *LOL*
should i take holland tunnel or Lincoln tunnel ? or is it the same thing as GWB
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 09:55 PM
 
3,335 posts, read 3,126,190 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No, there isn't a "free" toll route back into Manhattan from New Jersey that I know of.

If you avoid the GWB you'll have to drive down the Garden State or New Jersey Turnpike (toll roads) to either the Bayonne or Goethals bridges where you'll pay another toll to get on Staten Island. From there yes, you can drive over the VNB and into Brooklyn onto Queens without paying further tolls.

All Port Authority bridges entering into New York (east bound) have the same tolls ($14 cash, $9.75 EZ-Pass) but are free going West bound (leaving New York), so you aren't saving any money driving all the way down to Bayonne or whatever. Worse you'll eat up all that gas getting to Staten Island, driving across it into Brooklyn then onto Queens. On and again the tolls on the GSP or NJT.

Suck it up and pay the tolls over the GWB. Bring your lunch to work for a few days or eat Ramen noodles for dinner if things are that bad. *LOL*

I was thinking that OP could cross via Lincoln/Holland tunnel to save the price difference of $2-3 if that is important for his budget, but he will add a significant amount of commuting time.

On the way back, however, a short route would be to take the LIE West to exit 16 to get on the Queens' Ed Koch bridge, then via FDR to GWB for a shorter toll free ride instead of going via BB.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2015, 10:00 PM
 
3,335 posts, read 3,126,190 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaholmezle View Post
should i take holland tunnel or Lincoln tunnel ? or is it the same thing as GWB
Hol Tun to Williams Bridge, or Lin Tun to Ed Koch bridge.
IMO, you are worse off to do either than to cross the GWB given the time/gas costs for sitting through horrific traffic during regular hours of any day.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top