U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2016, 06:34 PM

29 posts, read 28,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Dweller_007 View Post
Just wanted to say that I heard from them. I had a low lottery # 3,XXX but was rejected because my income is just a couple hundred dollars below the minimum. Congrads to everyone who got in.
I am sorry to hear that. Did you have an interview? How long were you waiting to hear from them once you submitted all required documents?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 01:34 PM

19 posts, read 41,622 times
I got a rejection letter because the household is compromised of a full time student and I sent information of adding somebody who isn't a full time student in to add into the household, is that okay?

Old 10-07-2016, 01:46 PM

1,940 posts, read 2,044,400 times
No. Household size cannot be changed. Whoever is on the initial application, that is the family. The only way you can legitimately add someone is through birth, marriage, or adoption.

Full-time students are not eligible for 80/20 housing if they are the only household member.

The program is intended for the working poor, not for students.

I think the rationale is that students may graduate and get a high-paying job.

Here is the language from the Marketing Guidelines, which were just updated:

B. CHANGES TO HOUSEHOLD COMPOSITION
1. Changes to household composition on a submitted application that affect
eligibility will not be recognized, unless such change is due to an extenuating circumstance. Extenuating circumstances may include but are not limited to:
a. Death of a member of the household;
b. Birth in the household;
c. Separation or divorce;
d. Court order of custody;
e. Domestic violence.

Here's the link in case you would like to read up on it:

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...g-handbook.pdf

Old 10-07-2016, 02:04 PM

19 posts, read 41,622 times
Okay thank you!

Old 10-07-2016, 09:57 PM

17 posts, read 22,514 times
Does anyone know what happens if you are offered an apartment(in any low income housing) but later on enroll in school again? As either a part time or full time student. Do they expect you to never further your education??

Old 10-08-2016, 10:59 AM

37 posts, read 105,326 times
After submitting documents, I was invited for an interview about 2 months later.

I was also initially rejected and had to go through the appeal process so that likely delayed things, but my log number was in the 400's so there weren't as many applicants being interviewed prior to my interview, compared with a log number in the four-thousands.

It seems like they get very overwhelmed by the amount of paperwork, appeals etc. And as they progress through the log, there are likely still earlier applicants filing appeals and submitting additional paperwork, so that can delay things.

Being a part-time student is acceptable. If you are full-time you may meet one of the following exceptions;

1. By an individual who is:
  2. A student receiving assistance under Title IV of the Social Security Act,
  3. A student who was previously under the care and placement responsibility of the State agency responsible for administering a plan under part B or part E of title IV of the Social Security Act,[SIZE=2]2[/SIZE] or
  4. A student enrolled in a job training program receiving assistance under the Job Training Partnership Act or under other similar Federal, State or local laws.
  5. Entirely by full-time students if such students are
  6. Single parents and their children and such parents are not dependents (as defined in IRC 152, determined without regard to subsections (b)(1), (b)(2), and (d)(1)(B) thereof) of another individual and such children are not dependents (as so defined) of another individual other than a parent of such children,[SIZE=2]3[/SIZE] or
  7. Married and file a joint return

As a child, I was in foster care, and requested my records from the Administration For Children Services aka ACS, it used to be BCW back then, Bureau of Child Welfare. If you meet one of these exceptions, get the documentation, and they MUST ACCEPT IT. What that means is I can be a full-time student forever, and cannot be excluded from the program. Currently working on my doctorate degree. I would have been excluded without this paperwork.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:27 PM

125 posts, read 295,164 times
So if I didn't hear from them at all by now then there's no hope right?

Old 10-10-2016, 08:15 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,201,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katy_perry View Post
So if I didn't hear from them at all by now then there's no hope right?
No news is good news.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:30 AM

12 posts, read 21,277 times
My #is 8xx, I received a notice two weeks ago. They informed me that my application will be hold in the office due to the large number of applications. I need to mail them every 6 months if I want to sit on the waiting list. Feel Sad.....

Old 10-11-2016, 03:44 PM

6,315 posts, read 5,791,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchen42 View Post
My #is 8xx, I received a notice two weeks ago. They informed me that my application will be hold in the office due to the large number of applications. I need to mail them every 6 months if I want to sit on the waiting list. Feel Sad.....
What size apt and what income bracket were you in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or