U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:01 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,638,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
No need to cut it - people should immediately turn in anyone scamming.
WIC is extra money for mothers and children. People do need it.
yes don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Keep the system but prosecute abusers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 04:41 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,831,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
yes don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Keep the system but prosecute abusers.
But that would require the public educating themselves in order to have a productive opinion.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:43 AM

20,157 posts, read 26,444,908 times
Oh these "Welfare Queen" posts are so tedious.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:52 AM

281 posts, read 283,884 times
In my experience, those who abuse welfare the most are people who earn very good money, and have the connections and legal advice on hand to hide it. Those running banks and multinational corporations that are gifted with our hard-earned tax dollars are obvious abusers. So are white-collar workers making solid six-figure salaries who can enlist expensive help to work the system.

And foreign bank accounts aren't needed. Do you know how easy it is to hide investments and real estate under a family member's name, making it look as if you own nothing? I know people who have intentionally put all their assets in a family member's name. And I am friends with a woman who works in social services with clients like these. They will run their business into the ground this week and be signing up for benefits the next. Their money can't be found, so they get approved. And beneficiaries of this "caliber" generally sneer at those sleeping 10 to a 1-bedroom apartment, renting out the stabilized apartment for extra cash, and caring for kids while receiving the Forbes-stated average of $9K a year in benefits. "Cheats!" they scream. "Thieves at the public trough." The irony is deafening.

Take heart though: For most benefits recipients, that $9K will drop like a rock in less than a decade, between the food stamp caps, the 5-year lifetime limit on welfare, the work requirements, and the sanctions for everything under the sun. Extra kids are capped too, have been since the mid-90s epoch of welfare reform, so "babies for benefits" has gone the way of Shea Stadium. Don't have kids? Boy, you're in luck. Food stamps will be capped after 3 months unless you find a job and a million Americans will lose their food stamps next year. Beyond the entry level, a job search can take 6 months. How far can you stretch that peanut butter?

None of this will convince those determined to demonize public assistance, so it's best they quit their job and sign up to see for themselves. $9K a year in NYC. IF you're lucky. Hmmm. Yes, good luck indeed. You'll need it. Speaking as a man who's spent most of his life below the poverty line.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:01 AM

1,369 posts, read 829,536 times
Agree 1000% with Mr. BadGuy; post...��.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:25 AM

281 posts, read 283,884 times
My parents met at a 1964 Goldwater rally. For years, I heard the conservative line at home, which was common down south as the Reagan era unfolded. But I guess somewhere along the line with the grinding poverty, helped along by my mother — too mentally ill to work, too abusive and stubborn to let Dad take over like he could have, yet too "proud" to file for SSI — the party line wore thin. Last I saw, they did a 180 and became the worst type of Nader Raider, straight up tinfoil hat crap, with conspiracies about chemtrails and vaccines.

For all I know, they currently believe in Bigfoot and alien life.

If they taught me anything, it's that you can measure a country by how it treats its weakest citizens. And if the nation agrees poverty is a moral defect or personal character flaw, it follows that the public safety net is at best a thinly tolerated evil, forever in need of pruning.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:44 AM

20,157 posts, read 26,444,908 times
Four stars for Mr. Bad Guy.^^^

Old 10-10-2015, 06:54 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,360,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
The government knows all about the fraud.

But the fraud percentage is at an acceptable level obviously. It's probably cheaper to accept the level of fraud than it would be to hire an army of government employees to fight it.
That is why you pick a certain number of the scammers out of a hat and prosecute them HARD. Long mandatory prison sentences. Maybe some of the other scammers will think twice when they see their neighbors being carried off in handcuffs.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:18 AM

784 posts, read 845,025 times
in a city with a housing crunch and in a city where ppl working 2 jobs will still have you sleeping on the street, things like this are inevitable. its a miracle immigrants come here at all with housing and cost of living being what it is bc this is not the city where newcomers can get started in like it was in the 80s and 90s and times before it. I personally feel its not a bad hustle, turning into a asset, if it works for them screw it....esp considering wall street brokers and hedge fund managers are doing MUCH MUCH worse in terms of cheating and unethical deeds. Riddle me this batman, what are these so called welfare cheats and scammers doing to you? IS what theyre doing affecting your quality of life? Is what theyre doing even any of your doggone business considering welfare is a tiny slice of the budget that gets smaller and smaller by the day? people are trying to survive and in a city like new york, anything goes. You ppl are acting like therye running a crack house next door. and long hard jail terms with hardcore criminals whats that going to solve. really????? if and when they get out youre releasing a potentially hardcore criminal thats much more of a threat than a so called welfare scammer. the ultimate great idea that would put a dent or eve na crater in this problem is create jobs that these people can go seek work and make a living off of but you self righteous hypocrites are too deep and blinded by your prejudices and biases to even consider that. you people are hilarious. in closing, unless you have any significant ideas to really try to fix the problem (and no casting them off far away to be some other citys problem does not count), ill advise yo to..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc_LIR5ExIU

Old 10-10-2015, 09:09 AM

1,369 posts, read 829,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
That is why you pick a certain number of the scammers out of a hat and prosecute them HARD. Long mandatory prison sentences. Maybe some of the other scammers will think twice when they see their neighbors being carried off in handcuffs.
Now that's what I'm talking about...👍. Agree 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City