Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 07:06 AM

73 posts, read 57,213 times

Advertisements

ran into someone who rents out rooms IN THE PROJECTS

is this even allowed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 08:00 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Did you report them?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-03-2015, 08:27 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,878 times
I as once referred by some guy I PAID to a room rental in an apt. where the lessees were Sect. 8. I wound up having to leave because some inspector started sniffing around. Or, perhaps they wanted to move some relative in.

This renting rooms business STINKS. I hate to take some handout but I guess I need to get on the Sect 8 gravy train. I do not really need my own apartment. Hotplate in the room, and bathroom down the hall would be OK. They used to have SRO's for people of my income level. But they don't anymore.

When you rent a room you are totally vulnerable to whatever damn wino or weirdo holds the lease.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:17 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlingtothemoon View Post
ran into someone who rents out rooms IN THE PROJECTS

is this even allowed?
This has been happening for decades and people from other Countries move in with families that are living here. Staying in
Very crowed apts. Just to save money and they get away with it. Two or three families living in a one or two bedroom
apartments. Reporting this is not going to stop people from doing this. Something else needs to be done. I have witness
four adults, five teens and four children from Africa living together inside a three bedroom apt. Three years and counting still
Living together all four adults and two teens have jobs. The lease holder is on section 8, can a New Yorker do this and get.
Away with it. NO! I Don't Think So. These people are just milking the City getting any and everything they can get there
Hands on I'm sure some people in that household get food stamps also. Then the money they save goes to their Country.
NONE! not one red cent..💲💲... Is spent in this Country. Shame, 😱 Shame, 😱 Shame,😱..

Old 10-03-2015, 10:21 AM

73 posts, read 57,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanniebaby7 View Post
This has been happening for decades and people from other Countries move in with families that are living here. Staying in
Very crowed apts. Just to save money and they get away with it. Two or three families living in a one or two bedroom
apartments. Reporting this is not going to stop people from doing this. Something else needs to be done. I have witness
four adults, five teens and four children from Africa living together inside a three bedroom apt. Three years and counting still
Living together all four adults and two teens have jobs. The lease holder is on section 8, can a New Yorker do this and get.
Away with it. NO! I Don't Think So. These people are just milking the City getting any and everything they can get there
Hands on I'm sure some people in that household get food stamps also. Then the money they save goes to their Country.
NONE! not one red cent..💲💲... Is spent in this Country. Shame, 😱 Shame, 😱 Shame,😱..

but my question is how do people find these rooms for rent there?????
in the projects its so crazy. the people i came across the lady whos the hold of the apartment is in trinidad and she rents the room out to two people its a two bedroom
two people share one of the bedrooms

Old 10-03-2015, 10:27 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
If people are agreeing to these conditions ,what's the problem?
Isn't that their choice ???

Old 10-03-2015, 10:33 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If people are agreeing to these conditions ,what's the problem?
Isn't that their choice ???
No, it's not their choice. NYCHA is public housing, very hard to get into because many other people need it. It's heavily subsidized by government funds (aka you and I are paying for these people to have subsidized housing) so if they go and make money on it, they are actually cheating us. They are also cheating the 10,000 other people who are on a waiting list to get into NYCHA apartments.

I definitely have a problem with that.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:01 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
No, it's not their choice. NYCHA is public housing, very hard to get into because many other people need it. It's heavily subsidized by government funds (aka you and I are paying for these people to have subsidized housing) so if they go and make money on it, they are actually cheating us. They are also cheating the 10,000 other people who are on a waiting list to get into NYCHA apartments.

As do I and very much so.

"It's their choice" and "mind your business" are quite typically what you will hear. Lacking even a basic grasp that it is everyone's business, from a tax-payer viewpoint and from the viewpoint of social ethics.

There are many deserving people who have no housing, people with different (and legitimate) challenges.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:02 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlingtothemoon View Post
but my question is how do people find these rooms for rent there?????
in the projects its so crazy. the people i came across the lady whos the hold of the apartment is in trinidad and she rents the room out to two people its a two bedroom
two people share one of the bedrooms

You should turn her in immediately.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:07 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,253,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

Agree with your post some people on low income housing use the system to make money. And in reality they do not
Need the help, they get clients from friends or word of mouth. Some people from other countries have homes. And
They move to the state to get rent subsidize apt. they go straight to the shelter. And get what they want a second
Place to live either to make money or to let families live in them. This is one of the reasons why so many real
New Yorkers are homeless living in the streets, or just stuck in the shelter system. When these people come to
The states they do come loaded with money. And is easy to buy your way around, money talks, money has power.
They need to be put behinds bars, and throw away the keys. They are nothing but CROOKS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City