Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 09:45 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times

Advertisements

Big difference east side vs west side in Manhattan. The Lexington Avenue line is horrible. Even if it is running on time, it doesn't matter because you'll have to wait a few trains before you find one that isn't packed.

Reliability: Good during the workweek. But it seems there's always bunches of lines shut down evenings and weekends.
Safety: Hasn't killed me yet. Most dangerous thing about it seems to be the other passengers.
Appearance: Ugly as sin.
Coverage: It is what it is. Easy to look at a map and see the non-covered spots (large parts of the outer boroughs, all of Staten Island, and the far upper east side and eastern East Harlem)
Rail cars: The new ones are OK, the old ones are pretty nasty. The seats at 90 degrees to each other are pretty dumb.
Stations: A British version of hell. Not flames, but dreary concrete, dripping water, dust and dirt everywhere, noise, and smells.
Price: Unzoned system is pretty dumb. Same price to go two blocks as 30 miles?
Management: If there's one thing everyone agrees on (except them), it's that they're bozos.
Train schedule: There's a schedule?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 10:13 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
After having lived in Boston, and visiting places like DC, Chicago and San Francisco, I have to say I am very appreciative of such a comprehensive and generally fast system that gets me pretty much everywhere I need to go, within a few blocks. Of course I wish it were cleaner.

I will choose a comprehensive, fast system any day over some beautiful system that doesn't give me comprehensive coverage or has too much time between trains. Or shuts down at midnight or 2 am.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:31 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Just an overall opinion poll on the Subway in terms of:

- Reliability
- Safety
- Appearance
- Coverage
- Rail cars
- Stations
- Price
- Management
- Train schedule

People in other cities are always whining about how their subway system isn't as good as NYC. Just wondering if NYC likes its Subway as much as everyone else.. or if its just one of those "grass is greener" things.
An F all the way down. Only transplants, and hard-core native nyers posters on here love the subway. Today had to return a car rented for a week. I wanted to cry when had to return it.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:03 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
An F all the way down. Only transplants, and hard-core native nyers posters on here love the subway. Today had to return a car rented for a week. I wanted to cry when had to return it.
I own a car (all paid off), it's like having a kid. It needs insurance, and it needs to go to the doctor (mechanic) for check-ups. Trust me if I were not a family man, I would probably just have a ZipCar account or something. I work in the city - I barely drive during the week. I've always had my own car; in my 20s it was great to go drive and hang out in Brooklyn and in the city on weekends. But I'm in my mid 30's now - it better be a damn good reason that I'm in Manhattan on a Saturday.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-03-2015, 11:22 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
Wonderful with some issues at times (like relationships, work and other aspects of life, DEAL WITH IT)

Old 10-03-2015, 11:47 PM

544 posts, read 1,526,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Just an overall opinion poll on the Subway in terms of:

- Reliability
- Safety
- Appearance
- Coverage
- Rail cars
- Stations
- Price
- Management
- Train schedule
You need to add another:

- Smell

Old 10-04-2015, 12:28 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Overall I like it. You don't have to have a car and it runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:07 AM

164 posts, read 160,107 times
The smell takes some getting used to, but otherwise reliable and fast, with double track express services etc. Europe and Asia does it better in my opinion (1. Seoul, 2. Tokyo, 3. London are the best in my estimation), even if you factor in non-24 hour service.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:50 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Better than cities in the US; probably not better than many cities in Europe.

I drive out of necessity nearly every day. Even if I didn't, I'd keep my car.

The other day I went to another location (related to my work) that's in the city. Haven't been going to the city for work for years. Loved not having to drive---hated getting on the filthy/old trains followed by the bus I grabbed (that was disgusting and had water leaking through the roof EVERYWHERE while it was pouring on Friday) when it was obvious that my last train of the day was going to take forever...

Old 10-04-2015, 07:40 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Too overcrowded as a result of service cuts, especially on weekends.
Unnecessarily dirty.
Something should be done about station ventilation (fans to the outside) before people start dying on the platforms.

Otherwise, okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City