U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 09:26 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,732,609 times

Advertisements

LoL @ the people complaining about the price and the speed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 04:43 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,897,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
LoL @ the people complaining about the price and the speed...
The price is probably the best thing about it. It's the only thing "NYC" that isn't a total rip off.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:01 PM

316 posts, read 291,241 times
As a whole it's ok but I find the R tone especially slow and painful. The 1/2/3 lines provide pretty reliable, frequent service.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:03 PM

539 posts, read 379,645 times
It's vastly underrated. Yeah its dirty and old, but it influences the culture here more than anything else. Cars are obsolete for the average person. Wanna grab a drink after work? You have nothing to worry about because you will take the subway home.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:51 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,626,691 times
It's probably the best public transit system in the US, if not the world

It has its flaws of course, but overall I like it a lot

Old 10-04-2015, 10:30 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,303,054 times
For a world class city, it's just barely an adequate subway.

On the other hand, we can do much better. Too bad the MTA is a huge jobs and nepotism program through and through.

One of the most extensive subway systems in the world in one of the top 3 world class cities in the world has one of the most sub-par workforces. Both on the management and system side.

Like this moron who simply retired when an investigatioin was opened up. lol

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2082184
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/eustace...eta/1b/b47/311

Or this,

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1799625

Or this;

http://gothamist.com/2011/08/03/mta_...etting_his.php

and this,

http://nypost.com/2014/06/20/mta-dep...epotism-probe/

The biggest problem with the NYC subway is the MTA. The system could be so much better; it doesn't have to be so ****ty.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 10-04-2015 at 10:53 PM..

Old 10-04-2015, 10:45 PM

4,181 posts, read 3,492,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Just an overall opinion poll on the Subway in terms of:

- Reliability
- Safety
- Appearance
- Coverage
- Rail cars
- Stations
- Price
- Management
- Train schedule

People in other cities are always whining about how their subway system isn't as good as NYC. Just wondering if NYC likes its Subway as much as everyone else.. or if its just one of those "grass is greener" things.
I believe for a city like this, its pretty good. The MTA itself, I feel has stepped up its game. Station renovations are getting done a lot faster. They have implemented the Select Bus Service which drastically cuts down wait time, and gets people in and out. I think they need to be better prepared for mother nature, because they dropped the ball on a few occasions. They need to focus on beautifying the forgotten stations, in the South Bronx. Brook Ave, St Marys, Cypress Ave specifically. I think they need to increase subway access from the Bronx to Manhattan too. I feel its management is shady. If they trimmed a little fat from the top, maybe they can get these major projects done at a faster pace

Old 10-04-2015, 10:48 PM

539 posts, read 379,645 times
They need to work on trying to get one or two more lines in our lifetime. Maybe a far West Side Manhattan line (or extend the 7 farther) and maybe a Queens-BK Line

Old 10-04-2015, 11:55 PM

996 posts, read 951,793 times
It's like falling madly in love. "I can't live with it! I can't live without it!"

Price: making half-price for all seniors and disabled people is very compassionate, allowing all to be part of the whole city. NYC deserves fame for this. I don't know if other cities do this.

Single price for every ride: brilliant. An early decision, it pulled NYC together years ago. People can work and reside across boroughs. Keeps the city fluid.

Coverage: Major decisions too often reflect income inequity, then reinforce it. Shoulda built the Utica Line; there were 3 different opportunities; still shelved. Busiest line (bus) in city pokes down Utica through Flatbush, although it's a huge job corridor starting in BedStuy. Poor people in Central/Eastern Brooklyn don't have the cache of folks on the Manhattan 7 line that just expanded to Javits Center. Watching all that sucks.

Manhattan-centric, which might not be with the times. It's built like spokes on a wheel, but more and more people need to get from one spoke to another. Need BK-Queens connections, and link a few more lines within boroughs. People end up getting cars in boroughs because going in and out of Manhattan to get 10 miles north or south in Brooklyn takes 80 minutes by subway.

Handicap Access: F for some stations, A+ for others. Not yet an accessible system, but a few stations work fully.

WIFI. Need it. Then everybody could work flat-out 24/7 while commuting, and die earlier. The economy would benefit.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 10-05-2015 at 12:33 AM..

Old 10-05-2015, 03:58 AM

80 posts, read 74,545 times
I've always had issues with the pricing: You can go from the end of the bronx all the way to Coney Island for the same price that someone would from 8th & Broadway to Times Square.
London has zone fare pricing, probably no way to institute it here, it took forever the MTA to get off the token and now it can't even get off the MetroCard to something more reliable

The state of the trains especially in terms of garbage is due to the ghetto trash that rides it... and the MTA's stupid idea to take out garbage bins from most train stations.
There is no reason for the Pizza Rat video to have ever existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or