U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 01:11 AM

11 posts, read 12,269 times

Advertisements

^I'm in brooklyn. Nothing wrong with apartment living. My friend lives in a million dollar condo and her neighbors complain of her boyfriend snoring at night, miillion dollar! So these things can happen to anyone.

thank you for the replies. I will respond to everyone instead of quoting individually:

Before I decided to sign a new lease, I looked for apartments, pretty thoroughly. For what I can afford, there wasn't much at all. I am locked into a pretty great price for a pretty good space for the next 2 years and I'm not giving that up because some people werent raised right.

I put literally blood sweat and tears into getting this apartment into proper shape over a period of 5 months. Also like I mentioned earlier, spent my own money to get it soundproofed. The soundproofing worked for what its supposed to, we don't hear tv or voices ever. Of course that was never the issue, but I thought it would at least help somewhat with the actual problematic noises - and maybe it has and it could be even worse than it is right now. No soundproofing short of maybe tens of thousands of dollars will do anything for banging and stomping, but I thought even a 1% improvement is something. Plus the placebo affect.

I 100% should've led off with a note months ago but in my mind, I felt direct communication like that or knocking on their door would be a bad idea and they would take it as me telling them what to do, which is not my intention. Now I realize if it was written right, it couldve maybe been a good idea. Heres the thing - the couple of times my downstairs neighbors banged on their ceiling in my 15+ years in this apt, every time because I was vacuuming past like 8 PM, I immediately ceased vacuuming because of course I understood it was wrong. So i thought if I banged on my ceiling, any reasonable person would think "let me alter what I'm doing, I'm disturbing my neighbors" skipping notes or anything like that. Clearly these arent reasonable people.

To the person who said I should move because everything they do will now bother me - thats partially true. Yeah, every sound I hear is now kind of annoying. But I can totally live with that. Its the specific clearly non common noise banging I have issues with. If that stopped, over time the common noise wouldnt affect me at all - like during that 2-3 day period.

As far as 311 - I know they cant take actual action, but at least their presence is something that may sway these peoples actions. If an officer came to my door and said stop blasting music or something, I certainly would even knowing they couldnt do much to enforce it (well, music they can potentially enforce - but you get my drift)

I didnt mention this yet, but about 2 weeks ago I got a call from a police officer who was parked outside the building. He called me because I made over 5 311 complaints the previous month. Heres the kicker - I told him not to come up because 2-3 days prior to that everything was fairly quiet aside from normal footsteps and pretty minimal pounding. I foolishly thought maybe the latest round of me ceiling banging made these people realize just how much they were bothering me. I explained the situation to him and he didnt say "well thats not something we can do anything about anyway" - he was ready to come up. But I told him I'd save his number in case it got bad again. Of course it did almost immediately, so I called him. He said he'd come 2 days after the phone call because he was on pope duty the next day. Never came and strangely doesnt answer his phone anymore. Telling him not to come up that first time was foolish but I truly thought we had a breakthrough and letting him come up would ruin the good will I thought was there. Also - a big part that played in telling him not to come up in the heat of the moment is embarrassment. I'm embarassed for everyone involved. But as soon as it got bad again - only then I realized extremes like involving police must occur.

Clearly theyre not carpeted up there because something is making direct contact with the floor to make these vibrating noises, and no there is no carpeting provision in the lease. I actually dont feel comfortable telling someone to get a carpet. Like I said, I in no way want to tell anyone what to do - more like what not to do - like dont do whatever the hell is making my heart jump out my chest throught the day.

As far as going to the library to study - no. This is my home. I am entitled to peace, as is everyone.

What can I say to my landlord so that he potentially contacts them, which I think would go a long way, probably more so than a cop? He's the one that actually miraculously agreed to help me put the sheetrock up (by telling the super to do it) so this topic is very familiar to him. He would know this issue didnt just spring up. But aside from collecting rent money he and his nasty secretaries dont like to be bothered. I did some digging on the building before I decided to stay here and noticed the upstairs people actually reported him to the city for undone repairs - so I'm sure hes not too fond of them as it is, but like I said, getting him to actually take action would be tough. Should I mention they potentially have a kid living there whos I'm sure not on the lease? Should I just send an email instead of letter, with a video of the noise and video of the man charging me attached?

I really hope next time we inevitably cross paths this guy doesn't try to lay a finger on me. If i have to defend myself someones grandfather is going to be laid up in a hospital, and although I've dreamt about doing just that; after the opportunity almost presented itself, I realized that would actually be an utterly embarrassing situation.

Also in a lot of the threads I read on this subject, a lot of people suggested playing fire with fire - ringing downstairs bells early in the morning (like, now), banging on their ceiling early in the morning, putting super glue in their key hole - but aside from them pretty much knowing it would be me, that seems really low, no matter how low they are in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 01:32 AM

2,138 posts, read 2,156,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
move.
life is too short to be aggravated, and live like that.
move.
best soultion
move, break the lease, too bad on the LL
move
Agree. You can't win unless you want to stay around and fight it out....at your expense.

F the landlord. Let him fight it.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:35 AM

2,138 posts, read 2,156,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadenough22 View Post
^I'm in brooklyn. Nothing wrong with apartment living. My friend lives in a million dollar condo and her neighbors complain of her boyfriend snoring at night, miillion dollar! So these things can happen to anyone.
I used to hear my neighbor having sex at night. Then I would smell his cigarette smoke. I was paying close to $2,900 for the privilege.

Afterwards I moved into a Pre War Building. What a difference that made.

These condos are being put up like houses of cards. No quality at all.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I used to hear my neighbor having sex at night. Then I would smell his cigarette smoke. I was paying close to $2,900 for the privilege.

Afterwards I moved into a Pre War Building. What a difference that made.

These condos are being put up like houses of cards. No quality at all.
I know its insane. Million dollars to buy or $3 grand rent to hear snoring, sex sounds and smell smoke? Insanity. I'm in a prewar and we as you can see have issues too, though.

You know what else is crazy, the other day I was out on the street a couple blocks from my house at like 12 am and there was music GLARING from an apartment. I just couldn't believe that persons neighbors let that go on for more than a couple minutes. the building the apartment was in was at the very beginning of the block, I walked to the end of it and around the corner and still heard it! So i'm fully aware things can be worse, but doesnt mean they have to be bad.

Also everyone saying to move, if i even found a decent place, whose to say the surroundings wont be worse? Right now im committed to fighting this battle, hence this thread. But you know what, I'll begin looking at places nonetheless. Maybe something great enough to leave my hard work will pop up.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:38 AM

4,408 posts, read 2,267,717 times
I don't recommend playing pranks on them or retaliating. Right now, you are in the right and they are in the wrong. Once you start retaliating, then they will have examples of things you've done to them that they can complain on you about. So far, they have nothing on you. Leave it that way.

Also, what I notice from many years of being in similar situations, is that noisy, inconsiderate people will (and can) never change. They will always be noisy. They can't just stop and suddenly be quiet. It just doesn't happen. You are hoping they will somehow be less noisy but I will guarantee you that will not happen. You see, that's how they are normally. They will not change their everyday behavior (which they view in their minds as them going through their normal daily routines) for you, and certainly not if they view you as someone they hate.

You starting some kind of tit for tat with them will only get them to make even more noise for you since they know that that is what bothers you.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:51 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,115,063 times
sue them on people's court or judge judy

Old 10-04-2015, 06:06 AM

^everything you say is true, but it wasnt always THIS bad and doesnt have to be, like that 2-3 day stretch. Seems like that child from hell is the common denominator, and I wouldnt be shocked if the quiet stretches is when hes at the fathers house or something. I really think if certain actions are taken they will alter their ways and perhaps move the child out. If I file a civil lawsuit for disturbing my peace and disturbing my health, and have papers actually served, you dont think that could make an impact? If the landlord sends them a letter demanding they stop harassing me, that wont make an impact, even on the inconsiderate? If cops issue them a summons, that wont be impactful?

You said you've been in similar situations, was your solution just pack up and move everytime? Moving can easily be less plausible than changing the habits of the inconsiderate. its not that simple.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:09 AM

2,591 posts, read 3,374,308 times
I was on the other side of a noise complaint situation when my son was little. We started out with a good relationship with our downstairs neighbors who would call about noise - it was always foot steps or banging according to them--we didn't play loud music or TV. They'd call for whatever and all the time it seemed - if we had shoes on for a minute because we forgot something at the last minute before leaving, or we had to put a nail in the wall, but by far, the main problem was our son, who was a toddler. He was just too loud in their opinion - walking, playing or whatever. Sometimes we'd have a friend over with another kid and our phone would ring off the hook.

The main issue was with one of the guys who was a student. One day when he called I told the guy that I was doing my best, but couldn't control the footfall of a toddler, and to please stop calling. He told me I didn't know how to discipline my son to make him sit still and walk quieter. Our conversation became yelling and I stopped answering his calls. I didn't try to make noise but also stopped making as much of an effort with my son. He started calling the landlord, but there's nothing the landlord can do. People are allowed to have children and they have a right to live their lives as well. The guy would bang on the ceiling sometimes and we would ignore it. We both moved eventually and that was the resolution.

The main problem in this case seems also to be the child. Kids at a certain age are just loud to have overhead, and there is little the parents can do about it even if they want to. I would also recommend moving if you want to escape the situation, and to try to rent on the top floor with no one overhead!

But who knows, the kid may move out, or the people may move out, or they may have another child! Calling the landlord or 311 or taking them to court is hopeless in my opinion. You will just make things worse. If you are set on staying, you have to let it go to a certain extent and try to improve your relationship with the people upstairs little by little. You are trying to control something that you have no control over, and you will drive yourself crazy. Noise travels downward, and they have all the power in the situation whether you like it or not.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:18 AM

20,134 posts, read 26,416,255 times
A quarter of the people in the City are inconsiderate ass holes. Getting one above you is a nightmare. I had a situation with an always barking dog and a loud couple trying to kill one another. Cujo croaked, and I treated myself to a nice champagne dinner and then the couple moved out. I think it's empty now....yaaay.

On the other hand some people are oversensitive cranks. My partners aunt complained endlessly that her upstairs neighbor always moved his chair at dinnertime and she was annoyed by the scraping sound. "Oh the horror," right? Under me a crabass. I hung a picture on a Sunday with a tackhammer and she complained to management: "Construction not allowed on weekends." She croaked too.
Left side apartment (smoked incessantly) dead too. (I guess Voodoo dolls DO work)
No neighbors is GOOD neighbors while it lasts.

I once looked at an apartment whose entire ceiling was dimpled by what were obviously broom handle marks, a good reason to walk on.

"Soundproofing done by landlord and super????" WHy??? Were Heckle and Jeckle busy?

Last edited by Kefir King; 10-04-2015 at 07:30 AM..

Old 10-04-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I was on the other side of a noise complaint situation when my son was little. We started out with a good relationship with our downstairs neighbors who would call about noise - it was always foot steps or banging according to them--we didn't play loud music or TV. They'd call for whatever and all the time it seemed - if we had shoes on for a minute because we forgot something at the last minute before leaving, or we had to put a nail in the wall, but by far, the main problem was our son, who was a toddler. He was just too loud in their opinion - walking, playing or whatever. Sometimes we'd have a friend over with another kid and our phone would ring off the hook.

The main issue was with one of the guys who was a student. One day when he called I told the guy that I was doing my best, but couldn't control the footfall of a toddler, and to please stop calling. He told me I didn't know how to discipline my son to make him sit still and walk quieter. Our conversation became yelling and I stopped answering his calls. I didn't try to make noise but also stopped making as much of an effort with my son. He started calling the landlord, but there's nothing the landlord can do. People are allowed to have children and they have a right to live their lives as well. The guy would bang on the ceiling sometimes and we would ignore it. We both moved eventually and that was the resolution.

The main problem in this case seems also to be the child. Kids at a certain age are just loud to have overhead, and there is little the parents can do about it even if they want to. I would also recommend moving if you want to escape the situation, and to try to rent on the top floor with no one overhead!

But who knows, the kid may move out, or the people may move out, or they may have another child! Calling the landlord or 311 or taking them to court is hopeless in my opinion. You will just make things worse. If you are set on staying, you have to let it go to a certain extent and try to improve your relationship with the people upstairs little by little. You are trying to control something that you have no control over, and you will drive yourself crazy. Noise travels downward, and they have all the power in the situation whether you like it or not.
Ugh, i cant debate this, you are right and I seem to be in the same situation. Like i said, i do let it go to a pretty great extent, but its just becomes too much.

When my cousin was a toddler, we'd have him over nearly everybday for 2-4 hours. His favorite activities were running like a madman and banging toys on the floor. But after a period of running around, i'd tell him to stop running, we have neighbors. If i saw or heard toy banging on the floor i'd say the same thing, and move him to the rug. I get 2-4 hours isnt the same as living here, but the same principles apply. Adjustments can be made. You seem like a very reasonable person. At least knowing an effort is being made would put my mind at ease somewhat. These people straight up think anything goes until 11 pm, clearly no effort to be considerat is being made.

Friday after our heated exchange, they stayed subdued. did they stop living their lives? No. They calmed down probably because I just had recorded them trying to physically attack me. But that wore off the next day and we were back at square one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or