U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 03:33 PM

20,182 posts, read 26,480,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Great example of why the "fair housing act" should have never expanded to include families with small children. These folks need to live together stacked on top of each other and let the rest of us live in peace. Adult buildings and kid buildings, bring this back!
And dog buildings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 05:02 PM

1,369 posts, read 830,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Great example of why the "fair housing act" should have never expanded to include families with small children. These folks need to live together stacked on top of each other and let the rest of us live in peace. Adult buildings and kid buildings, bring this back!
Yes, agree 100%.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:48 PM

5,736 posts, read 5,181,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
We have the same issue. I don't think they sleep, but hubby mentioned they have a newborn. I normally let it pass, but once it got so loud it woke me up out of a sleep at 1am. I had to bang on the ceiling even though I felt bad about it. Silence after that.
I left my neighbor a nice note basically blaming the old building, saying I sleep with ear plugs and a sound machine but I still get woken up several times a night. Simply asked late at night/early in the am could you take your shoes off. Of course they didn't and in fact it seems like they made it worse. I was actually disappointed. I ran the marathon today, I dropped the note yesterday afternoon and even stated I had the marathon and need to be up early and need to have a good night sleep. I got woken up 4 times, the last time I never was able to fall back to sleep so was up 3 hours earlier then need be. Not what you want when you have a big day ahead of you. I'm now considering contacting the landlord and have them in force the carpet rule. I tried to be nice. I don't complain about the shoes during the day , just at night like midnight to say 7am. I didn't want to bring up the carpet rule to them I died to be nice. I would think a normal person would be like oh ok, tonight I won't wear shoes at home cause this person told me they had something important and need some sleep. Silly me.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:52 PM

4,541 posts, read 806,834 times
Thoughts? Move.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Thoughts? Move.
I love when people just say move. Because sure you can guarentee your next apartment won't have any issue. Perhaps you get a situation worse then you have now. Also finances usually are why people don't move.

My point to my story was how people are just so wrapped up in themselves and don't consider other people.
I on the other hand have had conversations with my downstairs neighbor to let me know if anything I ever did bothered her, she said no your great. I wear slippers in the apt, don't use a tv, usually use head phones for music, etc. I even asked the best time to vacuum since it can be loud. These are just considerate things you should take into account.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:16 PM

1,369 posts, read 830,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I love when people just say move. Because sure you can guarentee your next apartment won't have any issue. Perhaps you get a situation worse then you have now. Also finances usually are why people don't move.

My point to my story was how people are just so wrapped up in themselves and don't consider other people.
I on the other hand have had conversations with my downstairs neighbor to let me know if anything I ever did bothered her, she said no your great. I wear slippers in the apt, don't use a tv, usually use head phones for music, etc. I even asked the best time to vacuum since it can be loud. These are just considerate things you should take into account.
Agree with your post 100 %.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:23 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,732,028 times
Quote:
I left my neighbor a nice note basically blaming the old building, saying I sleep with ear plugs and a sound machine but I still get woken up several times a night. Simply asked late at night/early in the am could you take your shoes off. Of course they didn't and in fact it seems like they made it worse. I was actually disappointed. I ran the marathon today, I dropped the note yesterday afternoon and even stated I had the marathon and need to be up early and need to have a good night sleep. I got woken up 4 times, the last time I never was able to fall back to sleep so was up 3 hours earlier then need be. Not what you want when you have a big day ahead of you. I'm now considering contacting the landlord and have them in force the carpet rule. I tried to be nice. I don't complain about the shoes during the day , just at night like midnight to say 7am. I didn't want to bring up the carpet rule to them I died to be nice. I would think a normal person would be like oh ok, tonight I won't wear shoes at home cause this person told me they had something important and need some sleep. Silly me.
We knocked on their door once early on after moving in because it was midnight and it sounded like they were moving furniture across the floor. Turned out the woman was cleaning! I'm guessing one of them is OCD because it sounds like furniture is being moved at all hours. We let them know my husband gets up for work at 5am, so if they could just keep it down after 11pm it would be good. Ah well. It hasn't been that bad, we may just have to get ear plugs.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Status: "I have "a thing" for duplex apartments" (set 1 day ago)

19,306 posts, read 32,757,591 times
Quote:
was how people are just so wrapped up in themselves and don't consider other people
No getting around this one. People are just inconsiderate sometimes.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-02-2015, 06:11 PM

15,237 posts, read 23,793,029 times
Quote:

It is a sin that you would even have to tell someone this. I mean, I absolutely agree with you. Any normal sane person with half a brains should realize that in an apartment building, it isn't nice, or fair to wear shoes and stomp around late night.

I'm a top floor tenant, and I am always conscious of this. I am fortunate an elderly Chinese lady lives under me, her daughter and husband were there when we all first moved in, (back in the stone age) so I know them well, they have since started a family and moved, hence mom living there.

But I am always aware of what time it is, I don't vacuum at 10pm, I don't stomp around. This is common sense.......People shouldn't even have top be told.

OK, so now it's got to be payback time...................

Old 11-02-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
. It hasn't been that bad, we may just have to get ear plugs.
Ear plugs just don't work at all for me. I think its cause it's vibrations and sudden boom boom versus a tv or talking. Not to mention I toss and turn all night from side to side so they don't always stay in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
It is a sin that you would even have to tell someone this. I mean, I absolutely agree with you. Any normal sane person with half a brains should realize that in an apartment building, it isn't nice, or fair to wear shoes and stomp around late night.

I'm a top floor tenant, and I am always conscious of this. I am fortunate an elderly Chinese lady lives under me, her daughter and husband were there when we all first moved in, (back in the stone age) so I know them well, they have since started a family and moved, hence mom living there.

But I am always aware of what time it is, I don't vacuum at 10pm, I don't stomp around. This is common sense.......People shouldn't even have top be told.

I wish someone like you lived above me.

OK, so now it's got to be payback time...................
I wish someone like you lived above me. I'd like to be the nice neighbor but I'm frustrated and lack of sleep can make one a *****. People in the building like me and I'm friendly with everyone but if I have to bring out the ***** side to him I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or