U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:28 PM

328 posts, read 230,876 times

Advertisements

My next-door neighbor is driving me nuts. He watches sports games all hours of the day/night and screams, cusses (shouting F.U. at the top of his lungs), and bangs stuff whenever there is a bad play and whoops when there is a good play. The door to his apartment is also weighted in such a way that it slams loudly whenever he or his girlfriend comes or goes, which is frequent. (They let the door close shut by itself rather than manually closing it.) He is routinely up until 1 or 2am, and I'm unsure if he even has a job. In addition, I think the cigarette and pot smoke permeating the hall way at times is emanating from his apartment. I pay high (market rate) rent, which takes me 2 weeks of work to pay. I am reluctant to confront him, because he seems so unstable, and I am worried that he is home all day and might try to get into my apartment or something while I am away at work.

The following have helped me regain my sanity somewhat:
- bought a white noise machine (LetroFan), which I play all night
- foam ear plugs, which I wear almost every night
- run the air conditioner on fan with the vent closed

In addition, I will be getting a second white noise machine to place in the hallway near my door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 11:11 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,154,673 times
not much of a problem with some older buildings.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:40 AM

15,237 posts, read 23,786,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
my next-door neighbor is driving me nuts. He watches sports games all hours of the day/night and screams, cusses (shouting f.u. At the top of his lungs), and bangs stuff whenever there is a bad play and whoops when there is a good play. The door to his apartment is also weighted in such a way that it slams loudly whenever he or his girlfriend comes or goes, which is frequent. (they let the door close shut by itself rather than manually closing it.) he is routinely up until 1 or 2am, and i'm unsure if he even has a job. In addition, i think the cigarette and pot smoke permeating the hall way at times is emanating from his apartment. I pay high (market rate) rent, which takes me 2 weeks of work to pay. I am reluctant to confront him, because he seems so unstable, and i am worried that he is home all day and might try to get into my apartment or something while i am away at work.

The following have helped me regain my sanity somewhat:
- bought a white noise machine (letrofan), which i play all night
- foam ear plugs, which i wear almost every night
- run the air conditioner on fan with the vent closed

in addition, i will be getting a second white noise machine to place in the hallway near my door.

sounds like a hell, id move

Old 11-03-2015, 05:59 PM

5,732 posts, read 5,177,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
not much of a problem with some older buildings.
I don't get this. I lived in several newer building and never had any noise issue. And then I lived in several older building and had major noise issues. Maybe I've just been unlucky with the older building I live in but if I could afford a newer building I'd take it. My last two buildings have been older. I can hear everything in my current building. I don't mind it though as I like my neighbors. Only thing I mind is the upstairs guy. But what can you really do about old wood floors beside put carpet down.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:12 PM

10,630 posts, read 20,764,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Ear plugs just don't work at all for me. I think its cause it's vibrations and sudden boom boom versus a tv or talking. Not to mention I toss and turn all night from side to side so they don't always stay in.

I wish someone like you lived above me. I'd like to be the nice neighbor but I'm frustrated and lack of sleep can make one a *****. People in the building like me and I'm friendly with everyone but if I have to bring out the ***** side to him I will.
Try Mack's silicone earplugs. They should stay in all night if you put them in and kind of seal them into your ear. Use a fresh pair every few nights. I take one earplug and halve it, one half in each ear. They are too big otherwise. You might have to experiment with the size, etc. Couple this with a white noise machine right next to your bed. I used to wake up when the people above me got up at 5 am to get ready for work, and with this combo, now I never do!

Amazon.com: Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs, Value Pack, 6 pr: Beauty

Old 11-03-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Try Mack's silicone earplugs. They should stay in all night if you put them in and kind of seal them into your ear. Use a fresh pair every few nights. I take one earplug and halve it, one half in each ear. They are too big otherwise. You might have to experiment with the size, etc. Couple this with a white noise machine right next to your bed. I used to wake up when the people above me got up at 5 am to get ready for work, and with this combo, now I never do!

Amazon.com: Mack's Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs, Value Pack, 6 pr: Beauty
Has amazon been the cheapest you can find them? I imagine the cost adds up after a while.
Yes I do the white noise right by my bed.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:50 PM
Status: "I have "a thing" for duplex apartments" (set 13 hours ago)

19,275 posts, read 32,742,854 times
OP, where art thou?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-03-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
OP, where art thou?
OP neighbor probably drove them nuts and to the funny farm.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:40 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,154,673 times
Quote:
I don't get this. I lived in several newer building and never had any noise issue. And then I lived in several older building and had major noise issues. Maybe I've just been unlucky with the older building I live in but if I could afford a newer building I'd take it. My last two buildings have been older. I can hear everything in my current building. I don't mind it though as I like my neighbors. Only thing I mind is the upstairs guy. But what can you really do about old wood floors beside put carpet down.
Depends on the building.. A lot of older buildings had better materials when compared to manufactured cost effective newer buildings that are like cookie cutter or to low income housing.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:43 PM

10,630 posts, read 20,764,898 times
Quote:
Has amazon been the cheapest you can find them? I imagine the cost adds up after a while.
Yes I do the white noise right by my bed.
Target has a reasonable price. Once upon a time Amazon was selling them at some ridiculously low price as an add-on product (spend $25 and you can add-on these discounted products to your order). Why don't you buy a small box and see if they work for you and then if they do, I think you will feel pretty good about spending money to buy more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or