Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 01:40 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I agree. You need to have hot water, And to be able to take an actual shower. I dealt with this frequently in one place I lived so I know how uncomfortable it is. Hold her to her word. A 311 call should be next. Don't worry about "bad terms". You have rights as a paying tenant and not having hot water is not good terms in itself. Let us know how things go.
Agree ! The "bad terms" thing is too much.

OP should keep track of everything in writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Exactly D Scott. I'm not living in a place like that. I need heat and hot water.

My friend called 311 about heating issues on her private house landlord. He got pissed and said if you want to complain, we can just end you lease now. She said perfect. She was more than happy to leave then live in a place without proper heat.
She's a single mother with two children so it was difficult to have to move so suddenly but she did it. I only say that as most always say I don't have the time, money, ect to just move right now so instead they stay on a place thats crappy.
It is unfortunate that she did not know her rights and that she could have been compensated.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Landlords may retaliate this way, But it sounds better to not live in a place to pay high rents much of the time and not have basics like hot water if nothing changes after bringing it up.
Except that it isn't legal to retaliate and it ends up costing landlords money - if people follow due diligence.

Wake up, people.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:53 AM

22 posts, read 45,559 times
Thank you everyone for your responses. They finally came and fixed the hot water issue on Sunday. Although now I know the kind of person my landlord is. If there were to be the next time (pray not), I would not be this kind and wait 2 weeks to call 311. Thanks everyone again.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I'll bet you spent a half hour in that first shower, right?

Old 10-06-2015, 09:49 AM

481 posts, read 427,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Be precise, get a thermometer. Hot water needs to be a MINIMUM of 120F, not 119 or 100. If you are not getting that in the bathtub, call the City. Measure often after letting it run for a minute or two and record the time and temperature.
With a schitt landlord like you have, there's no sense trying to stay amicable, it will never work and will come to a head eventually. Might as well be now.

Landlords take advantage of tenants who try to be nice.

What is strange is that the hot water in the bathroom sink is hot but the shower is not. It is usually the same connection.

(Does your shower have an "anti scald valve?")
I had the same problem (very hot water from sink, but lukewarm for shower/bath). I never learned exactly why, because it was fixed by the super fairly quickly after 2 or 3 visits, without needing to go into the wall.

While waiting for it to be fixed, I ran a detachable hose from the sink tap and used it to fill the bath. Guy at Home Depot helped me find the right sized tap adapter.

Anyway, I agree about getting a thermometer and documenting it.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:51 AM

481 posts, read 427,442 times
Oh just saw the OP's last post. Good good, well done.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:50 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaveevis View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses. They finally came and fixed the hot water issue on Sunday. Although now I know the kind of person my landlord is. If there were to be the next time (pray not), I would not be this kind and wait 2 weeks to call 311. Thanks everyone again.
Excellent news! You deserve to be comfortable in your place of residence. Hope it continues and best wishes to you.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:58 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Except that it isn't legal to retaliate and it ends up costing landlords money - if people follow due diligence.

Wake up, people.
No reason is needed to terminate a lease at it's expiry.

To find a burden of proof that a landlord discriminated against you and terminated your lease because of a 9 month old phone call to 311 is near impossible.

Those not under RC/RS receive little to no protection under DHCR.

Those living year to year are at the mercy of the market. The cost to move is a bit much for many to absorb. Sometimes you have to weigh that against a week or so of no heat.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
No reason is needed to terminate a lease at it's expiry.

To find a burden of proof that a landlord discriminated against you and terminated your lease because of a 9 month old phone call to 311 is near impossible.

Those not under RC/RS receive little to no protection under DHCR.
Neither is entirely true.

It is not impossible to prove harassment. Happens every day.

The second - only true under DHCR. The courts are a vastly better option anyway, even for regulated tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City