Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 01:52 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
That's terrible. Whoever removed the stove should be held responsible. I don't know if they hired a professional or did it themselves (but I suspect that it was the people leaving doing it themselves, maybe trying to save a buck). Anything having to do with gas or electric should never be a DIY!
You don't need to be a plumber to know to shut off the gas before removing a gas appliance. Every appliance should have a shutoff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 04:34 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You don't need to be a plumber to know to shut off the gas before removing a gas appliance. Every appliance should have a shutoff.

However by NYC law/code yes you do need to be a licensed plumber to install and probably remove a gas stove/range. Does everyone follow this law? Of course not but then again that explosion is the sort of thing that could happen.

You keep hearing about these gas explosions such as the horrible one in East Village several months ago because people keep cheaping out. They either hire sketchy contractors or just outright illegals or others who don't know what the **** they are doing. That fire which took down almost an entire apartment complex in New Jersey was caused by the same thing; unlicensed "plumbers" doing work they shouldn't.

In theory no, shifting a gas dryer, range, oven or whatever isn't a *big* deal. Again that is if you know what you are doing and observe the proper precautions, something it sounds like these people did not. So now one person is dead, others are injured and a property very badly damaged.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:10 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
all you have top do is call the gas company that you smell gas and they will be there.
a freind of mine died and lived in chelsea, we were getting rid of the dryer, no one wanted to disconnect for obvious reasons, so we called the gas co and said we smelled gas, they came immdeietely, and we asked the man to disconnect the dryer, he said you didnt really smell gas, did you?. we said no, but we wanted to make sure it was shut off correctly so as to not blow the building up, and he said, its nice to see smart people.

so this tenant that was removong the stove, to me in my mind, this is a crime to be punished.

havent anyone learened fro the east village explosion?

people are really stupid

Old 10-05-2015, 11:51 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You keep hearing about these gas explosions such as the horrible one in East Village several months ago because people keep cheaping out. They either hire sketchy contractors or just outright illegals or others who don't know what the **** they are doing. That fire which took down almost an entire apartment complex in New Jersey was caused by the same thing; unlicensed "plumbers" doing work they shouldn't.
Landlord in house next door to mine was caught stealing gas and electric from the city (and charging tenants for rent + utilities). He'd put up some kind of system to siphon off the utilities from the street lines.

Tenant reported a gas smell that she thought was coming from a construction site down the street, but trucks and huge fire team found nothing wrong there. A few minutes later, a small number of men came to her place, asking to check it because she'd called in the complaint. Opening the door, a huge amount of gas smell came out. FD went in and disconnected stoves on both floors.

As the fire department shut off a faulty valve behind her stove, they saw the LL was thieving and same-day reported this to the city.

Stupid LL came over to yell at the tenant, "it's all your fault for letting people into the building." Unbelievable! Or, as she yelled back at him, "I could've been killed and all you care about is your thieving got caught."

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 10-05-2015 at 12:07 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 01:22 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
Combustable gas sniffers are not very expensive, and they are worth their weight if you ever have an issue .
$25.-$50.-$100.-$200.
Being in maintenance and working on lots of different equipment having the sniffer really paid off . stuff you couldn't smell if you were next to it.
My house is on propane and I don't even change BBQ bottles with out using the sniffer. (bubbles work but the sniffer is efficient.)
I've spent too much of my life fixing other people's mistakes ( even so called professionals) to take any thing for granted, that's why I do my own repairs.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:05 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
If it's a rental building, how could the previous tenant take the stove with them?

A renter my have replaced a landlord-piece-of schitt with a beautiful $2,000 Viking stove that any of us would want to take to our next home.

I would turn off the gas at the kitchen wall, remove the stove and call Con-Ed and tell them and they would likely turn off service at the meter and padlock it.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:15 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Landlord in house next door to mine was caught stealing gas and electric from the city (and charging tenants for rent + utilities). He'd put up some kind of system to siphon off the utilities from the street lines.

Tenant reported a gas smell that she thought was coming from a construction site down the street, but trucks and huge fire team found nothing wrong there. A few minutes later, a small number of men came to her place, asking to check it because she'd called in the complaint. Opening the door, a huge amount of gas smell came out. FD went in and disconnected stoves on both floors.

As the fire department shut off a faulty valve behind her stove, they saw the LL was thieving and same-day reported this to the city.

Stupid LL came over to yell at the tenant, "it's all your fault for letting people into the building." Unbelievable! Or, as she yelled back at him, "I could've been killed and all you care about is your thieving got caught."
Hopefully the tenant sued the landlord for harassment.

They only care once it starts costing them money, and that will only last until they find a way around it.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:36 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Saw on 6PM news one of the tenants who was found dead was served with a 72 hour eviction notice and was due to be removed. Now rumors are circulating this may have been a suicide:
Deadly Brooklyn Gas Explosion May Have Been Caused By Evicted Tenant's Suicide Attempt: Gothamist

2nd body found in rubble of Brooklyn explosion; Victim's relative talks exclusively to Eyewitness News | abc7ny.com

Old 10-05-2015, 05:49 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Saw on 6PM news one of the tenants who was found dead was served with a 72 hour eviction notice and was due to be removed. Now rumors are circulating this may have been a suicide:
Deadly Brooklyn Gas Explosion May Have Been Caused By Evicted Tenant's Suicide Attempt: Gothamist

2nd body found in rubble of Brooklyn explosion; Victim's relative talks exclusively to Eyewitness News | abc7ny.com
Really, wow.
I had heard it was probably the tenant, I assumed she just tried to remove the stove.

Another demonstration that both sides are potentially crazy.

Update of sorts - I just read that the explosion could not have originated in that tenant's apartment because the gas had already been turned off.

Last edited by Harlem resident; 10-05-2015 at 07:07 PM..

Old 10-06-2015, 09:01 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Too bad the landlord never dies in these events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: