Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:49 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_A View Post
If I do take a DNA test and discover my Ghanaian ancestry, I will continue to state that I'm Ghanaian American (as well as the other admixtures that are included). I do not like the label "black" because it's absolutely meaningless and doesn't state anything about one's true culture/ethnic origin (or color for that matter) because I've yet to meet a truly "black" person.

Lastly, the construct of "black" is primarily derived from an artificial/false "culture" that is largely based on victimhood and pathology. Again, I choose NOT to identify as such. You may believe there is no shame in adhering to such a destructive label, but I certainly see the shame and defeat of a people who have allowed other's to define their norms and values.

NO THANK YOU!

How about AMERICAN?

The double ancestry is a waste of words. I am an Austrian, Ukrainian, Russian, Galician American...but who cares?

Have you ever been to Ghana? Do you ever care to GO to Ghana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:02 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,297,425 times
Quote:
I feel embarrassed at times when I think about why I've lied about my background, but I simply want acceptance. Also, as I've pointed out, I'm tired of all of the negative stereotypes.
So rather than tackle the stereotypes you dislike by showing people they aren't true, you'd rather lie about who you are altogether?

Old 10-06-2015, 09:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
I just moved from another state (in the Midwest) to NYC. I am wondering if people believe it's wrong for me to claim a new identity, now that I'm in a new location? I ask because, over and over, I would hear the worst stereotypes about women like me (I happen to be black American). I do not fit those stereotypes, and was so tired of being judged and criticized by others for simply being a black American woman.

Long story short, I am college educated and 20 something. Upon relocating, I decided to take on a new identity. Since I repeatedly hear how black women from other cultures are so much more classier than black American women, I essentially tell people (if/when) they ask, that I'm not black American. I have noticed that people, particularly men treat me in a much better fashion and tend to be so much kinder.

Has anyone else noticed this as well? I am just amazed, because I'm the same person. I don't behave any differently, I just notice there is a very remarkable difference in how I'm treated.
I don't think that's right, no. You have some underlying self acceptance issues you need to overcome. You should be proud of who you are and your heritage. If people have stupid stereotypes then you should not associate with them. I don't think what you are doing in the long run is healthy and I feel you are sabotaging yourself.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:13 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
If I do take a DNA test and discover my Ghanaian ancestry, I will continue to state that I'm Ghanaian American (as well as the other admixtures that are included). I do not like the label "black" because it's absolutely meaningless and doesn't state anything about one's true culture/ethnic origin (or color for that matter) because I've yet to meet a truly "black" person.

Lastly, the construct of "black" is primarily derived from an artificial/false "culture" that is largely based on victimhood and pathology. Again, I choose NOT to identify as such. You may believe there is no shame in adhering to such a destructive label, but I certainly see the shame and defeat of a people who have allowed other's to define their norms and values.

NO THANK YOU!
You have some identity issues. All black Americans have ancestry from West Africa but that does not make them FROM West Africa. In the same way, White Americans largely have mixed ancestry from Western Europe but you'll rarely hear them say "I'm French".

You're an American. If you want to drop the color as part of naming the identity then that would be the most logical approach. Identifying as something you are not is lying and that will get tricky to uphold when it becomes clear that you aren't actually Ghanaian. How are you going to pull of the most obvious indicator of your heritage: your parents. I myself don't speak Ga, nor can I make any Ghanaian dishes but I have a whole lot of Ghanaian family that are present and all with very strong accents. Your lie will unravel very quickly once you can't back it up with that type of proof.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:42 PM

57 posts, read 39,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
You have some identity issues. All black Americans have ancestry from West Africa but that does not make them FROM West Africa. In the same way, White Americans largely have mixed ancestry from Western Europe but you'll rarely hear them say "I'm French".

You're an American. If you want to drop the color as part of naming the identity then that would be the most logical approach. Identifying as something you are not is lying and that will get tricky to uphold when it becomes clear that you aren't actually Ghanaian. How are you going to pull of the most obvious indicator of your heritage: your parents. I myself don't speak Ga, nor can I make any Ghanaian dishes but I have a whole lot of Ghanaian family that are present and all with very strong accents. Your lie will unravel very quickly once you can't back it up with that type of proof.
You can't speak Akan, Dagaare, Dangbe, Dagbane, Ewe, GA, Gonja, Kasem or Nzema! Also, you don't know how to cook any authentic Ghanaian dishes either. Have you even visited Ghana?

I lived in Ghana while studying abroad. I honed my language skills while overseas and learned how to cook several traditional Ghanaian dishes. Wow, it appears that I may actually be more Ghanaian than you.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:19 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post

Quote:
You can't speak Akan, Dagaare, Dangbe, Dagbane, Ewe, GA, Gonja, Kasem or Nzema! Also, you don't know how to cook any authentic Ghanaian dishes either. Have you even visited Ghana?

I lived in Ghana while studying abroad. I honed my language skills while overseas and learned how to cook several traditional Ghanaian dishes. Wow, it appears that I may actually be more Ghanaian than you.
According to Ancestry dot com, I'm 0.2% Ghanaian. Does that mean I'm Ghanaian too?

Old 10-06-2015, 05:23 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:

This lunacy reminds of the transplant who argued that he was in fact more a "real" native because he chose to move here. He wrote on and on about it and included lots of silly links as they tend to do.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Um no. As I've said speaking a language and cooking the food doesn't make you HAVE a cultural heritage. Lots of people can speak another language and cook cultural dishes...you're fooling yourself if you think that somehow makes them from that culture.

Like many second generation Ghanians who are born and raised in the U.S, we don't speak the language (or cook the food). Our parents tend to Americanize us. If you were, you know, actually a second generation Ghanaian you would understand this is what happens. Those of us that can speak the language and cook the food are the ones that were born there and came to the U.S. as OLDER children (aged 12+). Many of my friends are Ghanaian and Nigerian- most are 2nd generation like me but some were born there and came here in middle school. Hell, I even have a friend that was born abroad, was raised and educated in the UK and U.S., moved to Ghana 2 years ago and now runs a successful business in Ghana and STILL doesn't speak a word of Ga. It's always those that are born there that speak the language. Again, you'd understand this if you were actually from the culture.

And of course I've been to Ghana. I'm going back this year to attend to matters related to my father's houses, property, and land , appeal to the family head about some outstanding family issues, meet with my uncle (who has now been appointed as my father), deal with my crazy aunt who is trying to steal my dad's money and property (and not accept food from her as I've been warned she might try to poison me)...you know, typical Ghanaian family drama. So yeah, I'm pretty solid in my Ghanaian heritage ....Good luck holding up that lie though lol

Old 10-06-2015, 05:51 PM

311 posts, read 292,690 times
OP,
are you one of the women suing the winery by any chance?

Old 10-06-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
According to Ancestry dot com, I'm 0.2% Ghanaian. Does that mean I'm Ghanaian too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City