U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 05:43 PM

10,612 posts, read 20,739,640 times

Advertisements

I think you should change the title of this thread to, "Is it wrong for me to lie about my identity in NYC?"

Once you start lying, where do you stop? What if you find out that people respond to you better if you say you're 25 instead of 29, that you went to X college instead of Y college, and that you are well-traveled when in fact you've never been outside the US? How about adding that since you're family is from Ghana, you also speak Twi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 05:59 PM

2,138 posts, read 2,157,576 times
You are a black american...from Africa if you wish. Don't be a fake azz you know what. Just deal with it. Lots of black people try to front this and that. Sad. Don't fall into the trap that people want you to fall into.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:04 PM

5,682 posts, read 5,158,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_A View Post
Black women who date interracially are often ridiculed and called horrible names. I don't want to experience that headache.
Quote:
Where did I make a racist remark?.
You Just said you don't want to date interracially!

Quote:
It can be perceived as racist to target a particular group for dating, just based on stereotypes and skin color.
I would not have any issues with IR dating, if it occurred like any other relationship.
Are you kidding me, a poster earlier told you to date another race. And you said you don't want to deal with that headache. Then another poster says date a white man and you say you have no problem with interracially.
So what is it, you changed you mind in just a few moments.

OP has to be a TROLL This post is getting ridiculous

Old 10-04-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
New members who start their City-Data life making really weird threads always make me think there is an alternate agenda.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:09 PM

57 posts, read 30,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think you should change the title of this thread to, "Is it wrong for me to lie about my identity in NYC?"

Once you start lying, where do you stop? What if you find out that people respond to you better if you say you're 25 instead of 29, that you went to X college instead of Y college, and that you are well-traveled when in fact you've never been outside the US? How about adding that since you're family is from Ghana, you also speak Twi?
Sometimes if you don't like something about yourself, you will attempt to change it, if you can.

I feel embarrassed at times when I think about why I've lied about my background, but I simply want acceptance. Also, as I've pointed out, I'm tired of all of the negative stereotypes.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:11 PM

57 posts, read 30,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You Just said you don't want to date interracially!

Are you kidding me, a poster earlier told you to date another race. And you said you don't want to deal with that headache. Then another poster says date a white man and you say you have no problem with interracially.
So what is it, you changed you mind in just a few moments.

I stated that IR relationships should happen organically and not be based on skin color. I also mentioned that IR relationships are more of a headache, due to the negative stereotypes.

Where is the contradiction?

Old 10-04-2015, 06:13 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,827,199 times
Quote:
Sometimes if you don't like something about yourself, you will attempt to change it, if you can.
But you haven't changed anything.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:14 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,369,365 times
So you live your life based off of the perception and opinions of everyone else around you instead of doing what makes you happy? Got it...

Seek therapy...

Old 10-04-2015, 06:14 PM

1,189 posts, read 734,096 times
Acceptance is the same as respect, you have to give it to get it.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
But the problem is that there are certain facts about ourselves that we can't change. We can't change where we were born. That's something it seems like you're attempting to "change."

You should concentrate on changing things that you CAN change, like working on new skills that you can be proud of, making new friends who will accept you for who you are, treating others with generosity and integrity, helping to solve problems and contribute positively to society and your environment, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or