Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:17 PM

957 posts, read 3,350,755 times

Advertisements

This may seem like an odd thread, but I was just wondering what people pay on average during the summer and winter months for electricity. I ask b/c a poster in another city forum stated their friend who moved from NY to TX was glad to leave her outrageous electric or gas bill behind and it even got as high as $800 on month! I've heard of $400 or so. What is considered normal vs. out of the ordinary? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 10:05 AM

510 posts, read 2,243,421 times
My electric in a studio apartment is about $50 per month and my gas bill is about $40 ever few months. Most apartments n the city include heat/hot water in the rent so the only gas you need is for cooking.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:42 AM

191 posts, read 900,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
This may seem like an odd thread, but I was just wondering what people pay on average during the summer and winter months for electricity. I ask b/c a poster in another city forum stated their friend who moved from NY to TX was glad to leave her outrageous electric or gas bill behind and it even got as high as $800 on month! I've heard of $400 or so. What is considered normal vs. out of the ordinary? Thanks!
depends on if she lived in a house or apartment.
i have a huge 3 bedroom apartment, and with all the ACs blasting, 50" plasma burning, 2 computers on the net, plus the standard extras (radios, fridge, stove, cable boxes, etc) my largest bill ever was about $245 during the summer.
MY girl is a stay at home mom, and she holds electricity in the lowest regard. (shes from the projects, where they dont pay for electricity). so she constantly left everything running, all day all night.
During the winter, with no AC running, my electric bill tops out around $90ish

Gas doesnt cost much in an apartment. you pretty much only use it for cooking. which is $20-40 every few months.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:47 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
I don't know if this was in the suburbs or upstate or what. I've never heard of an $800 bill. My experience has been similar to JeffCon's and my grandmother's house in Brooklyn, which has 4 bedrooms, never got that high either.

I have heard of people in Texas paying over $800 to pump AC into a 4,500 square foot house nine months a year

I think NY is on the tropical side of the utilities continental divide: it's more expensive to run AC in the summer than to heat in the winter (for homeowners who pay for heat). In Boston, a lot of people don't always bother with AC in the summer and it's the winter costs that get you. My girlfriend has roommates in a huge (2,500 square foot-huge by NYC standards) apartment in a two-family house outside of Boston and the total gas heat bill was $400 last month. And that's heating it only to 65 degrees.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:15 AM

82 posts, read 545,935 times
My old 2 bedroom in NYC used to be about $150 up to $350 in the summer. Now we're in a 1 bedroom in TX and pay a lot less. We're basically using the same amount of electricity. Con Ed is such a rip off.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:30 AM

957 posts, read 3,350,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I don't know if this was in the suburbs or upstate or what. I've never heard of an $800 bill. My experience has been similar to JeffCon's and my grandmother's house in Brooklyn, which has 4 bedrooms, never got that high either.

I have heard of people in Texas paying over $800 to pump AC into a 4,500 square foot house nine months a year
That's abut what I expect. I even said $800 sounds way off. He/she must have done something to get that bill that's not typical.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:47 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
the electric bill in my studio is about the same as cono's--about $50 per month, doubled during the summer with the ac/energy saver in evening and nights. my gas is included in the rent

when i moved here 17 years ago the electric bill was only about $20 per month but of course i am now running the computer which uses more electricity and i keep night lights on as well as my bathroom light on at night stemming from a trauma i had 10 years ago in which i found a mouse in my bathroom, ran from it and hit my knee on the bathroom girder and it bled

so i have not been able to sleep with the lights totally out since then(PTSD!)

Old 01-30-2008, 05:28 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
down with the mice i hate them 2.....reminds me of a time i was seeing a girl in brooklyn and the lady downstairs from her had a problem with mice so they used to make her way upstairs....anyway we had just finished...u know...and we heard a squeaking....a mouse got caught in a glue trap she put behind her tv stand, but the mouse's hind legs were caught in cable wires and its front paws were stuck on the trap! i'm a grown man, but it took me a minute to manuever that sucker outside to the garbage without freeing it accidentally! i love brooklyn.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-30-2008, 06:53 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
I'm in a 1BR apartment (approximately 600 SF) and ten months of the year my combined gas/electric bill is less than $60. During the hottest part of the summer, it'll jump to $75+/- because I occasionally run the A/C.

This is in New York City .....

Old 01-30-2008, 09:41 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Yeah I was going to reccomend using glue traps to rlrl because they are really effective, however....when they are effective its really disgusting. I caught one mouse with a glue trap and the thing must have tried to knaw its way out of the trap because there was blood all over the mouse. It was really nasty.

As to the original question I pay about $50 a month on electric and gas for my 1 br apartment (650 sq ft).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
down with the mice i hate them 2.....reminds me of a time i was seeing a girl in brooklyn and the lady downstairs from her had a problem with mice so they used to make her way upstairs....anyway we had just finished...u know...and we heard a squeaking....a mouse got caught in a glue trap she put behind her tv stand, but the mouse's hind legs were caught in cable wires and its front paws were stuck on the trap! i'm a grown man, but it took me a minute to manuever that sucker outside to the garbage without freeing it accidentally! i love brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City