Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 3,804 times

Advertisements

Would you think it would be cool to use bitcoin/Credit Cards to pay for rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 11:06 AM

515 posts, read 875,273 times
Credit cards yes. Bitcoins lol

Old 10-14-2015, 11:26 AM

782 posts, read 858,680 times
If your landlord is some hipster techstartupimintocoding type, then maybe bitcoin will fly.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:54 AM

372 posts, read 398,244 times
Modern apartments let you pay electronically already. Bitcoin is a joke no matter what the fanboys say.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:38 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,298 times
There's a bar that accepts Bitcoin on Crystie St just south of Delancey. Otherwise, electronic is nice. I've been paying via a cold hard check for years though, and it feels comfortable after having an electronic payment get bounced because I misread a 0 (with a slash) for an 8.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:46 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Have known persons to take out cash advances to pay rent, but they were in pretty dire situations.

Generally putting normal household expenses on a credit card such as rent, food, utilities and so forth is a sign of financial distress. That is of course unless you carry a zero balance and or pay the amounts off by one or two billing statements.

First there is the question of now incurring interest on something that should be a cash expense. Depending upon the APR you will be paying a good sum on your rent that goes onto a CC. Since most LL's do not accept credit cards your only option is to use a cash advance or something that works like it; so unless it is an "interest free" sort of thing and or you are paying it off at once, it is bound to cause trouble.

Cash advances are very bad because one begins incurring interest at once (unless stated otherwise). Also again subject to terms you cannot pay off the cash advance balance without paying off the entire credit card debt.

Again if one's back is up against the wall and it is either use a CC or face being kicked out on the streets then have at it. I'd exhaust other options first however.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:49 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,353,597 times
I'd only do CC for the cashback rewards. But many places won't take CCs anyway because they don't want to pay the fee. Anything I can put on a CC I will (including the phone bill) because I pay it off every month. I've never paid my CC a dime over what I owe and I've received plenty of free money over the years.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:18 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I'd only do CC for the cashback rewards. But many places won't take CCs anyway because they don't want to pay the fee. Anything I can put on a CC I will (including the phone bill) because I pay it off every month. I've never paid my CC a dime over what I owe and I've received plenty of free money over the years.
Which one is your favorite?

Old 10-14-2015, 09:05 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Which one is your favorite?
Discover is pretty generous with rewards. I've heard its fees are a little higher than most other CC companies, so there are some places that don't accept Discover. Here in the Boston area, I'd say my Discover is not accepted maybe once a month which, in light of the fact that I use my CC to pay for everything, isn't all that often (every merchant that accepts CC takes VISA, so that's my backup when Discover doesn't fly).

Discover also has excellent customer service, so I'd highly recommend it.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:24 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,234,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Discover is pretty generous with rewards. I've heard its fees are a little higher than most other CC companies, so there are some places that don't accept Discover. Here in the Boston area, I'd say my Discover is not accepted maybe once a month which, in light of the fact that I use my CC to pay for everything, isn't all that often (every merchant that accepts CC takes VISA, so that's my backup when Discover doesn't fly).

Discover also has excellent customer service, so I'd highly recommend it.
I have discover, they are a nice company but I don't find their perks enough to make me what to use them as my main card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: