U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-05-2015, 05:29 PM
 
18,292 posts, read 11,683,969 times
Reputation: 11946

Advertisements

Now that the A&P bankruptcy auctions are mostly over with we know the fate of at least four Food Emporium supermarkets.

"Morton Williams Supermarkets as the lead bidder for a package of three of its Food Emporium stores in Manhattan. Morton Williams made bids for stores located on 1st Avenue and 63rd Street ($10.5 million); 8th Avenue and 50th Street ($7 million) and 3rd Avenue and 72nd Street ($4.75 million) for a total of $22.5 million." Wakefern, Morton Williams make A&P bids | A&P Bankruptcy 2015 content from Supermarket News

Sadly Associated won't be taking over the FE on Third Avenue between 83rd and 84th; according to workers of that place Gristedes will be taking over that store. Wakefern, Morton Williams make A&P bids | A&P Bankruptcy 2015 content from Supermarket News

Was surprised so many FE locations got no bids at all including the huge and beautiful Bridgemarket location on First Avenue and 59th Street. That space would have made a great Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-05-2015, 09:28 PM
 
5,708 posts, read 5,166,149 times
Reputation: 3830
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Was surprised so many FE locations got no bids at all including the huge and beautiful Bridgemarket location on First Avenue and 59th Street. That space would have made a great Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.
Well there is a WF near by on 57th btw 2nd and 3rd Ave.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 01:15 PM
 
18,292 posts, read 11,683,969 times
Reputation: 11946
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Well there is a WF near by on 57th btw 2nd and 3rd Ave.
What of it?

Gristedes has a location on Third between 78th and 77th but that didn't stop them from buying the soon to be former FE on Third between 83rd and 84th just several blocks north.

In other parts of the country WF has far more locations in an given area than they do in Manhattan much less the City as a whole. If they ever hope to break out of being seen as just a niche or boutique place here WF will have to step up their game.

In addition to being close to Sutton Place the Bridge Market location would have given WF access to the East Side from perhaps low 50's to upper 60's. This includes some pretty rich territory including several major hospitals and healthcare facilities all of which have tons of employees.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2015, 09:44 PM
 
5,708 posts, read 5,166,149 times
Reputation: 3830
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What of it?

Gristedes has a location on Third between 78th and 77th but that didn't stop them from buying the soon to be former FE on Third between 83rd and 84th just several blocks north.

In other parts of the country WF has far more locations in an given area than they do in Manhattan much less the City as a whole. If they ever hope to break out of being seen as just a niche or boutique place here WF will have to step up their game.

In addition to being close to Sutton Place the Bridge Market location would have given WF access to the East Side from perhaps low 50's to upper 60's. This includes some pretty rich territory including several major hospitals and healthcare facilities all of which have tons of employees.
Thats cause Gristedes can't have someone else buying it and taking away their business. They need to have them both cause if a better chain moves in a few blocks away they will be going out of business.

Whole Foods seeks doesn't need that location. They have the one on 57th and the one that just opened up on 87th street. They need to branch out to different neighborhoods like they are doing by building in harlem.

If you are real into grocery stores check out spermarket news magazine you can learn a lot.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2015, 04:58 PM
 
18,292 posts, read 11,683,969 times
Reputation: 11946
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Thats cause Gristedes can't have someone else buying it and taking away their business. They need to have them both cause if a better chain moves in a few blocks away they will be going out of business.

Whole Foods seeks doesn't need that location. They have the one on 57th and the one that just opened up on 87th street. They need to branch out to different neighborhoods like they are doing by building in harlem.

If you are real into grocery stores check out spermarket news magazine you can learn a lot.
Have read that some kind of media site "Supermarket News" and even they have had article about how Gristedes is not doing well. The stores in areas remotely close to new arrivals such as Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Fairway aren't doing well. As one has repeatedly stated where Gristedes manages to hold on is in areas where they are the only supermarket for several blocks such as East 96th, Second and 75th, East End and 81st, etc....

What is really keeping Gristedes afloat is their owner's money from his oil, real estate and other investments.

Old timers tell me there was a "Red Apple" around the corner on Lexington Avenue not far from DAG and around the corner from this FE on Third.

Interestingly Livi's Lingerie who has been at 1456 Third Avenue (next door to the Food Emporium space) for ages closed down about a week ago. Would be interesting to see if someone would want to combine that space to expand the once FE space.

Know for a fact the building where FE (now G) resides isn't happy about certain aspects of how Food Emporium ran their business in particular the hordes of homeless/dumpster divers that nightly congregate around FE's trash.

Gristedes is closing their store on 86th near First (lost their lease and JC didn't win his bid for the property) sometime before 2016. There is another rumor that the store on Third between 77th and 78th may also be closing as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2015, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,154 posts, read 26,444,908 times
Reputation: 9034
Quote:


Gristedes' East 86th Street site hits market




The property, which currently houses a single-story grocery, could sprout a
residential tower of up to 153,000 square feet and fetch a price of well over
$100 million.
Any word on what will happen to the closed FE site at 86th and Second? Oh please, ALDI'S or TRADER JOE'S?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2015, 03:13 PM
 
18,292 posts, read 11,683,969 times
Reputation: 11946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Any word on what will happen to the closed FE site at 86th and Second? Oh please, ALDI'S or TRADER JOE'S?
There is a stubborn rumor that TJ's will open on that site. Nothing official but that is word on the street.

While would be happy to see a TJ's open anywhere on the UES/Yorkville think having all three upscale supermarkets (TJ's, WFs and Fairway) all within a few city blocks of each other isn't a good thing.

Fairway for instance is having a very hard time with sales at the 86th Street store down about 15% after WF opened just up the block.

Think TJs should try something further down say in the 60's,70's or even low 80's. Of course finding a suitable site would be an issue.

P.S.

Anyone wanting something FE specific and shops at any of the stores that were purchased may want to consider heading over that way soon. Workers at the FE on Third and 83rd said Gristedes could be taking over that store soon.

Am personally loading up on those large bags of Eight 0'Clock coffee. No one else sells that size....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2015, 03:41 PM
 
154 posts, read 145,660 times
Reputation: 122
Nobody else seems to sell Johnsonvillle brauts around there either. And almond joy coffee creamer for that matter. The horror!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top