Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 12:14 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dun View Post
there are numerous issues where you can blame a side but when it comes to our veterans both sides should be ashamed. a very disgusting and real fact is that vets are disposable. Once they play their purpose they are dumped and forgotten. don't get me wrong they get awesome benefits and there are many success stories of those who have used the system to advance themselves in society, but those successes are overshadowed by the VA and the joke that they are. besides, social mobility is a myth nowadays. my parents went from lower class to middle class. i'd be damned lucky is i manage to stay middle class for my lifetime. (fingers crossed) the upper class isn't even on the horizon for somebody like me unless i win the mega millions
Not true. Social Mobility still happens today. There are barriers that screen out much of the population, but this was true back in the 1950s as well.

Even today I know people who are using the GI bill to get subsidized mortgages or pay their way through college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 03:21 PM

415 posts, read 514,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Despite the demonization of the government by those in the right on the forum historically the government has played a huge part in the lives of those in NYC who are now middle to upper class.

And of course whites were able to access these benefits earlier.

After WW2 veterans were able to do things like have the military pay for their college or get access to loans for favorable rates to buy homes in newly expanded suburbs. These houses were purchased cheaply and are now worth quite a bit of money.

Owning property affects families for generations. When a property owner dies, the heirs can use those assets to do things like pay for college, buy a home, etc.

The government also created subsidized mortgages which helped others buy cheap homes in the suburbs at this time.

And of course there's the civil service.

Policeman for example generally do own property. They can retire after 20 years. They could do other kinds of work or just retire if they want to. This is a solid entry into the middle class for many families as well. Cops can raise their kids in safe neighborhoods and send them to good schools. And yes being NYPD is a GOVERNMENT job!

In later generations Blacks and other minorities too have used military service and civil service jobs to move their families up socioeconomically.

Now people on this forum are correct that the massive housing projects are a disaster. Before the housing discrimination laws poor Blacks and Puerto Ricans were more or less herded into them, particularly by people like Robert Moses and his slum clearance programs. Of course when old people in projects die there is no inheritance, schools in bad neighborhoods tend to be subpar, and there are other barriers which make moving out of the projects or similarly bad circumstances difficult (but not impossible, clearly people do it).

The people who all deal with the "ghetto" people, whether cops,lawyers, social workers, teachers, hospital workers (think medicaid) are all making a good living off these poor people and establishing themselves and their families as middle class at a minimum.

lol you write like crap. Seriously: the above is a bunch of worthless vomit.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:44 PM

205 posts, read 246,760 times
lol at making a living off of the poor people. Are the poor people writing the checks. People build up "poor people" so much on here, poor people suck If they didn't they wouldn't be poor.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:19 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
The government does all it needs to do for the poor in providing free k-12 education (and now even pre-k in many places). Everything after that is a crutch. Equating the GI Bill and civil service jobs to welfare and other handouts is libby nonsense. The single mothers and able-bodied hood rats can join the military and EARN the GI Bill just like every veteran who puts on the uniforms of our nation's military. No one else is owed a dime.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:34 PM

205 posts, read 246,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The government does all it needs to do for the poor in providing free k-12 education (and now even pre-k in many places). Everything after that is a crutch. Equating the GI Bill and civil service jobs to welfare and other handouts is libby nonsense. The single mothers and able-bodied hood rats can join the military and EARN the GI Bill just like every veteran who puts on the uniforms of our nation's military. No one else is owed a dime.
they are too busy getting knocked up by "real "people's" they dont have time for that.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
No it's not. People like you OWE their middle class existence to TAXPAYER funds. You rant about how you hate the government, yet you have a government job.

And where was it claimed that the military excluded people?

Old 12-01-2015, 08:31 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And where was it claimed that the military excluded people?
Not by me. No idea what you are talking about (like usual).

Old 12-01-2015, 08:44 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSopp77 View Post
lol at making a living off of the poor people. Are the poor people writing the checks. People build up "poor people" so much on here, poor people suck If they didn't they wouldn't be poor.
This I used to think poor people were just these poor exploited people until I interacted with them at a summer job I had a year ago. They are very greedy stupid and make poor choices constantly in essence their is a reason why they are poor.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:30 PM

415 posts, read 514,303 times
You're certainly prolific. I'll give you that much...

You appear to very jealous of civil servants and city workers in particular. Why don't you get yourself a civil service job if it's such nirvana to you?

If I understand your central thesis, it's that white people financially benefit from black and hispanic poor people because white people have traditionally worked to serve this poor segment of society by working as police, firefighters, social workers, etc., etc.?

The white people then take the money they earn working and buy and maintain houses which become very valuable over time...because...???????

And, because black people live in housing projects where their rent is subsidized by federal transfer payments, they never accumulate generational wealth. Or. something.

I mean this is the crap you write. It's not exactly what you wrote but it's certainly what you meant.

Do you hate white people? How about Jewish people?? Who do you hate more, whites or Jews? How about arabs, asians and moslems?? Do you like them (if they don't have civil service jobs...) ??

Old 12-04-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
You're certainly prolific. I'll give you that much...

You appear to very jealous of civil servants and city workers in particular. Why don't you get yourself a civil service job if it's such nirvana to you?

If I understand your central thesis, it's that white people financially benefit from black and hispanic poor people because white people have traditionally worked to serve this poor segment of society by working as police, firefighters, social workers, etc., etc.?

The white people then take the money they earn working and buy and maintain houses which become very valuable over time...because...???????

And, because black people live in housing projects where their rent is subsidized by federal transfer payments, they never accumulate generational wealth. Or. something.

I mean this is the crap you write. It's not exactly what you wrote but it's certainly what you meant.

Do you hate white people? How about Jewish people?? Who do you hate more, whites or Jews? How about arabs, asians and moslems?? Do you like them (if they don't have civil service jobs...) ??
Ask all the white and Jewish men that I had sex with and dated and who I still have my fun with.

And I'm Black, and many of my relatives worked in civil service. Social workers, teachers, nurses, post office, etc.

So I did not say I hated people who work for the government.

I said the military service or civil service jobs are an important avenue to the middle class for many people.

My stepfather (also Black) purchased a home with a cheap mortgage (a benefit of being a veteran).

I criticized the ideology of some people who demonize the government yet WORK for the government and who owe their middle class existence from government jobs (that in large part have to do with dealing with issues that poor people have, including criminal issues).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City