U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:31 PM

5,743 posts, read 5,196,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
who cares, he was 71 years old.
I know a 13 year old little girl with cancer that is now blind and will die soon.
so no, a 71 year old, no, dont care.

he must have done something to warrant an eviction.
a 13 year old girl doesnt deserve cancer.

sorry sour subject here.
Life is unfair. But being cold about an elder getting evicted and feeling he had to kill himself will not make the young girl you know not die of cancer.

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 10-07-2015 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 12:56 PM

372 posts, read 286,150 times
Quote:
I know a 13 year old little girl with cancer that is now blind and will die soon.

sorry sour subject here.
Maybe they finally raised his rents to a rate he couldn't afford to keep up with. That's not something a tenant has any control over. Nice to see a complete lack of empathy though.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:04 PM

20,193 posts, read 26,531,257 times
Quote:

Yeah, he probably had a rent stabilized apartment at very low rent that the landlord wanted.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:14 PM

20,769 posts, read 15,499,803 times
I can see this happening...and it's truly sad.

He was 71 years old...did he have any family? Where would he go? Who wants to sofa surf at 71 years of age? IF he even had any family to go to, that's a big slap to a person's pride - and at 71, it's not like he could easily go out and get a job, or a better job, or improve his education to get a better job to be able to get his life back together. I'm sure he didn't want to live at a shelter, which is hard enough for people half of his age.

I mean, think about that: You're 71. You know you don't have a lot of time left on earth, and at that point, it looks like those last years on earth are going to be utterly dismal and horrible. Homeless at 71...I wish he hadn't done it, but I can totally understand it.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:18 PM

1,746 posts, read 3,430,964 times
Quote:

sorry sour subject here.
What does one tragedy have to do with another? This isn't a competition to see who is least fortunate.

By your logic, if we find a 10 year old who had cancer, blind *and* deaf that automatically means you are no longer sympathetic to the girl you know? Of course not.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:56 PM

5,743 posts, read 5,196,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
What does one tragedy have to do with another? This isn't a competition to see who is least fortunate.

By your logic, if we find a 10 year old who had cancer, blind *and* deaf that automatically means you are no longer sympathetic to the girl you know? Of course not.
I know right...I use to care for a blind and deaf baby with aids...so do I win by his logic?
That was the saddest thing ever.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:57 PM

3,250 posts, read 3,492,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
Maybe they finally raised his rents to a rate he couldn't afford to keep up with. That's not something a tenant has any control over. Nice to see a complete lack of empathy though.
All he had to do was buy a condo for like $80k by the beach in Florida.... like all other normal people. I am sure he had income coming from social security/pension/whatever he used to pay for his rent stab apartment before. Instead he chose to commit suicide for a stupid as* reason like "oh gosh I can't live in Murray Hill anymore, I might have to move to outer boroughs or even to Florida!". I guess he was too prideful to join us unwashed masses that are not living in Beverly Hills, Murrey Hill, or UES....

Old 10-07-2015, 02:10 PM

10,339 posts, read 12,459,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
All he had to do was buy a condo for like $80k by the beach in Florida.... like all other normal people. I am sure he had income coming from social security/pension/whatever he used to pay for his rent stab apartment before. Instead he chose to commit suicide for a stupid as* reason like "oh gosh I can't live in Murray Hill anymore, I might have to move to outer boroughs or even to Florida!". I guess he was too prideful to join us unwashed masses that are not living in Beverly Hills, Murrey Hill, or UES....
May be more to it then that. Years ago I discussed a similar subject with a friend. We agreed no likes to feel that they HAVE to move. I know life changes and many times this is necessary and even beneficial. But the feeling of being "run out of town" so to speak especially after working hard for a long time sucks. This situation sucks and is tragic regardless of this mans reasoning to stay and the outcome.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:34 PM

372 posts, read 286,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
That sounds like a lot of assumptions to help justify a lack of empathy. Given his age it wouldn't be surprising if he had a small mountain of medical debt that made it impossible to have a decent savings.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:55 PM

8,395 posts, read 19,676,738 times
Wow,this case is tragic. It might be that all the guy needed was a social worker to help him through a SCRIE application.
Wonder how many seniors there are out there who don't even know what kinds of help are available when they are in desperate situations. http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/se...xemption-scrie

First thing a judge should do in any case where a Senior is in danger of eviction is send in a social worker to analyze the situation. Have things gotten so callous that a judge would just order an eviction on a senior without investigating ?

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-07-2015 at 03:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or