U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 02:02 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,481,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
May be more to it then that. Years ago I discussed a similar subject with a friend. We agreed no likes to feel that they HAVE to move. I know life changes and many times this is necessary and even beneficial. But the feeling of being "run out of town" so to speak especially after working hard for a long time sucks. This situation sucks and is tragic regardless of this mans reasoning to stay and the outcome.
Sure it sucks, but this is definitely not the worst thing that can happen to you. All in all its a pretty frivolous reason to commit suicide over imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
That sounds like a lot of assumptions to help justify a lack of empathy. Given his age it wouldn't be surprising if he had a small mountain of medical debt that made it impossible to have a decent savings.
Medical debt is an unsecured debt and is treated like credit cards and can easily be wiped out if you file for bankruptcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 04:17 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,832,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
All he had to do was buy a condo for like $80k by the beach in Florida.... like all other normal people. I am sure he had income coming from social security/pension/whatever he used to pay for his rent stab apartment before. Instead he chose to commit suicide for a stupid as* reason like "oh gosh I can't live in Murray Hill anymore, I might have to move to outer boroughs or even to Florida!". I guess he was too prideful to join us unwashed masses that are not living in Beverly Hills, Murrey Hill, or UES....
Really ? Which "normal" people ?

Old 10-07-2015, 04:30 PM

18,298 posts, read 11,693,181 times
First of all 305 E. 40 St is a co-op building known as The Hamilton which I believe is part of Tudor City. It is right on the corner of 40th and Second Avenue but the entrance is on 40th. IIRC one of the approaches (or is it exit?) to the Mid-town tunnel is just down the block.

Other media reports quote another tenant saying the dead man had been living in that apartment "for a long time". The building went co-op back in the 1980's (as did many others during that boom conversion period), but this guy was still a renter. That tells me at least the plan was a non-eviction one and the guy chose to remain as a renter and possibly under RS.

If the above is true then the "landlord" of the property would have been the person who purchased the unit (or rather the shares) and the now deceased continued to live there.

Since we no nothing about the deceased we can only speculate who he was and his past life. No, being evicted at 71 (or 81 as some reports give the late man's age) isn't easy on anyone. Usually housing court will bend over backwards for seniors to keep them in their apartments and or at least give them time to find other options before eviction. The fact things came to an eviction order being granted and marshall serving a 72 hour notice tells me things were pretty bad.

If the unit was RS much would have depended upon the rent in relation to the deceased income. Sometimes even with SCRIE freezing the rent seniors still cannot afford to remain. If the apartment was market rate OTOH then senior or not the deceased was at the mercy of the owner.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
First of all 305 E. 40 St is a co-op building known as The Hamilton which I believe is part of Tudor City. It is right on the corner of 40th and Second Avenue but the entrance is on 40th. IIRC one of the approaches (or is it exit?) to the Mid-town tunnel is just down the block.

Other media reports quote another tenant saying the dead man had been living in that apartment "for a long time". The building went co-op back in the 1980's (as did many others during that boom conversion period), but this guy was still a renter. That tells me at least the plan was a non-eviction one and the guy chose to remain as a renter and possibly under RS.

If the above is true then the "landlord" of the property would have been the person who purchased the unit (or rather the shares) and the now deceased continued to live there.

Since we no nothing about the deceased we can only speculate who he was and his past life. No, being evicted at 71 (or 81 as some reports give the late man's age) isn't easy on anyone. Usually housing court will bend over backwards for seniors to keep them in their apartments and or at least give them time to find other options before eviction. The fact things came to an eviction order being granted and marshall serving a 72 hour notice tells me things were pretty bad.

If the unit was RS much would have depended upon the rent in relation to the deceased income. Sometimes even with SCRIE freezing the rent seniors still cannot afford to remain. If the apartment was market rate OTOH then senior or not the deceased was at the mercy of the owner.
Town Residential is the clue that this is exactly what transpired.
People have no idea about these things.
Maybe he just got tired of dealing with them.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Town Residential is the clue that this is exactly what transpired.
People have no idea about these things.
Maybe he just got tired of dealing with them.
AFAIK TR has nothing to do with 305 East 40th, why are you insisting they had a role in this?

Old 10-07-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
AFAIK TR has nothing to do with 305 East 40th, why are you insisting they had a role in this?
Same pool of folk.

And I am fairly certain that I am suggesting rather than insisting. Smoke and fire; tendencies. Birds of a feather if you will.

I know many people personally.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Same pool of folk.

And I am fairly certain that I am suggesting rather than insisting. Smoke and fire; tendencies. Birds of a feather if you will.

I know many people personally.
Well whatever.

This eviction had to do with an individual owner/shareholder of that apartment, not a managing agent or company. Anyone who truly wanted to find out could simply go town to Centre Street and look up the information in Housing Court's index/case files. The address is known already and it shouldn't be to difficult for someone who knows how to look and or what to do.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:15 PM

Just thinking about I'm more interested in what a 71 year old man was doing with a loaded shotgun in a Manhattan apartment building. Am sure none of his neighbors knew much less the marshall that the guy was locked and loaded so to speak.

This could have been much worse if the deceased decided to take some persons with him and began firing through the door or whatever.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:28 PM

166 posts, read 119,456 times
Or he could of disconnected his gas stove, waited 5 minutes, and lit a match. Ban stoves!

Old 10-07-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That's truly sad. People are literally killing themselves over rent.
Imagine you have been living a decent middle or even working class lifestyle if not above in Manhattan for the past fifty or so years. Now you are in your 70's about to be evicted with likely no place to go and or the options (such as a shelter) are pretty grim. It happens more often than you think.

If you closely look at some homeless 50 or even older you can tell they aren't used to living rough and from their manner and carriage were "something" before being forced into that situation.

In a perfect world a man of the deceased age would have been offered senior housing somewhere, but the City's books at NYCHA and other offerings are full with long waiting lists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or