U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 07:04 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,849,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well whatever.

This eviction had to do with an individual owner/shareholder of that apartment, not a managing agent or company. Anyone who truly wanted to find out could simply go town to Centre Street and look up the information in Housing Court's index/case files. The address is known already and it shouldn't be to difficult for someone who knows how to look and or what to do.
You don't need to go in person.

Moreover, direct research doesn't usually reveal the whole story. Need to dig around and know where to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 07:19 PM

18,341 posts, read 11,748,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You don't need to go in person.

Moreover, direct research doesn't usually reveal the whole story. Need to dig around and know where to look.
Or, who to talk to.... *LOL*

People who knew what was going on and to their credit are keeping their mouths closed, at least for now. The deceased was a long term resident of that building so neighbors and staff at least know his name and "story" to some extent.

The doormen certainly knew something because if for nothing else when proceedings began they would have to let the process server into the building to give notice.

In any event this certainly isn't going to be the last sad outcome I'm afraid. You have a good number of seniors and or those now middle aged but moving into that demographic in very strained financial circumstances.

Everyone assumes RC and RS tenants are paying rents heavily discounted from market. Some are and some aren't. Even if a seventy-two year old person's rent is say $900/month if they only get one thousand (or less) in SS, have little to nil savings, no pension etc... then they are truly rent poor. Young persons can at least work off the books or something to bring in money.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:58 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,849,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Or, who to talk to.... *LOL*
Exactly.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:27 PM

544 posts, read 1,315,874 times
Very sad, indeed. Every time I saw someone sleeping on the street who looked as if they had some education and had much better time in their life (i.e. not the typical unkempt, smelly, good-for-nothing beggars), I wonder not only what had led them to this situation, but also how they must feel comparing now to what they used to be. It must be very painful for them to remember the old days.

This 71 year old, not only he's facing imaginable (or unimaginable) hardships of having no place to live, but also, I suppose, the home he had lived for many years probably had emotional/sentimental meanings for him, as he may have spent some of the very happy days there.

But yes, on the other hand, how did he get a gun? It's good that he didn't use it on others.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
Very sad, indeed. Every time I saw someone sleeping on the street who looked as if they had some education and had much better time in their life (i.e. not the typical unkempt, smelly, good-for-nothing beggars), I wonder not only what had led them to this situation, but also how they must feel comparing now to what they used to be. It must be very painful for them to remember the old days.

This 71 year old, not only he's facing imaginable (or unimaginable) hardships of having no place to live, but also, I suppose, the home he had lived for many years probably had emotional/sentimental meanings for him, as he may have spent some of the very happy days there.

But yes, on the other hand, how did he get a gun? It's good that he didn't use it on others.
Several years ago was walking from Fifth Avenue across 56th to get over to the Westside for a small gathering. As I got near Sixth Avenue spied an older woman with a "granny cart" full of her belongings. Something about her manner and carriage just told me she wasn't your average street person and in fact was just new to the experience. She was sort of quasi "begging" and you could she didn't want to, know how to and probably was ashamed at being brought so low. Went across the street and handed her a few tens. Her eyes lit up and she mouthed a generous but quiet "thank you".

That was in late fall and often wondered how that woman got on. Did she finally find decent shelter? How did she manage the hard winter that followed? Is she even alive today?

People talk about how difficult it is to remove tenants in NYC apartments, when it really isn't that hard, especially if you are the one being evicted. Yes, things often can and are dragged on but usually sooner or later either you pay up or are out, RS or RC not withstanding.

Our more "genteel" shall we say middle aged and seniors just don't know how to cope with the homeless system much less shelters. Again the City does try but the need simply is too great and the entrenched/established perpetually poor (who know how to work the system by the way) often get first dibs. Meanwhile those who probably worked all their lives and paid taxes are left to fend for themselves.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:53 AM

2,721 posts, read 2,151,930 times
So this was a repent stabilized / control apartment he did this over? Any idea if the apartment is now available?

Old 10-08-2015, 01:42 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,299,641 times
^ It's too creepy to live there now. I know I wouldn't want to.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
So this was a repent stabilized / control apartment he did this over? Any idea if the apartment is now available?
Dude it is a co-op. Even if the place *was* RS you can bet the owner/shareholder will do what every other LL of such a place does when vacated by a long term tenant; do a gut renovation to get the rent up and hopefully out of rent control.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:41 AM

372 posts, read 286,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post

The same way as everyone else? Maybe he had it with him when he first moved here? Maybe he used to be a cop or in the army? Any of the thousands of other options?

Old 10-08-2015, 09:26 AM

20,186 posts, read 26,519,827 times
If put behind the eight ball like this, the one thing I would do BEFORE putting a bullet in my head would be to put a bullet into my landlord's head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or