U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 01:12 PM

10 posts, read 9,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Roebling and South 4th the "hip part of Williamsburg"? I would assume that distinction would go to the Northside, not the Southside... I agree somewhat with the second part but Southside is still a decent mix of old timers and the new crowd...
So the North Side is the wealthy part of Williamsburg and the South side is the not-so wealthy part right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 01:51 PM

9,938 posts, read 7,693,725 times
Quote:
Says who... Maybe not Soho/Tribeca (two of the most expensive places to live in the city) but I would definitely put it on LES level... To me, personally, it's arguably the most overpriced neighborhood in the entire city for the amount of negative action that still takes place around there... You get all the expenses, minus the posh environment most seek when they think of Williamsburg...
Says me. I mean come on, seriously, Soho or Tribeca? OP couldn't find a more far fetched comparison.

Overpriced? Maybe for some, but doubt the PRs and Hasids are paying top dollar to live there and they make up most of the demographic in Southside.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:26 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,735,093 times
To add further credence to my initial statements and this applies to another thread similar to this one created not too long ago... Gangs Responsible for Most of Williamsburg's Shootings This Year, NYPD Says - Williamsburg - DNAinfo.com New York

That section of Williamsburg even as you're about to cross southside into northside can be shady since it is right next to the Bed-stuy border by Marcy. As the article mentions, there are gangs in the area (90th precinct) but a good number of shooting incidents have also occurred from gangs operating outside of the 90th precincts confines looking to settle disputes in Williamsburg(Ex: 79th and 83rd precincts). Again, the neighborhood is far safer than it was five years ago and beyond, but if we're comparing 2014 to 2015, it's definitely taken a step back IMO...

Old 10-15-2015, 09:35 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,676,246 times
Yes, it is quite expensive. No, it isn't remotely as expensive as Soho or Tribeca.

It isn't "posh"; it's more hip/trendy. But it's definitely expensive.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:12 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,479,986 times
Quote:
Because the North and South sides of Williamsburg are separated by the bridge... The shift starts to happen around Metro/Grand St. where you'll start to see N1-N12 I believe... That's the side that is almost completely gentrified if not already... That's also the area that would probably command rents most similar to Soho and Tribeca in Brooklyn...
Historical note: The dividing line between North and South happens at Grand street, before Williamsburg bridge even existed. The split comes from the times when Williamsburgh was its own village (it even predates the City of Williamsburgh).

Old 10-15-2015, 10:35 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,735,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Historical note: The dividing line between North and South happens at Grand street, before Williamsburg bridge even existed. The split comes from the times when Williamsburgh was its own village (it even predates the City of Williamsburgh).
Got ya. I mentioned the emboldened part right after you cut off my quote...

Old 10-15-2015, 11:08 AM

138 posts, read 210,616 times
Still amazes me what happened to the North Side. My entire family grew up between Lorimer and Graham, and between Powers and Metro. My ten great aunts and uncles and all of their kids. Then in the 90s everyone still alive moved out because the neighborhood was becoming "surrounded." They should have held on a little longer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or