U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 12:26 AM

10 posts, read 9,854 times

Advertisements

Is S 4th Street in Williamsburg Brooklyn a posh/expensive place? is it like Lower Manhattan SoHo or Tribeca in terms of being cost of living/rent/posh surrounding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 02:59 AM

9,893 posts, read 7,681,611 times
No.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:03 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,732,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
No.
Says who... Maybe not Soho/Tribeca (two of the most expensive places to live in the city) but I would definitely put it on LES level... To me, personally, it's arguably the most overpriced neighborhood in the entire city for the amount of negative action that still takes place around there... You get all the expenses, minus the posh environment most seek when they think of Williamsburg...

Old 10-08-2015, 08:05 AM

372 posts, read 284,960 times
Pretty much everything in Williamsburg is expensive by various metrics.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:51 AM

728 posts, read 493,049 times
You're definitely talking about the nicer, hip part of Williamsburg. But its not comparable to Soho or Tribeca in that it's not 'posh' in the least. Its more of a young, artsy vibe, AKA hipsters and trust funders.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:39 AM

10 posts, read 9,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Says who... Maybe not Soho/Tribeca (two of the most expensive places to live in the city) but I would definitely put it on LES level... To me, personally, it's arguably the most overpriced neighborhood in the entire city for the amount of negative action that still takes place around there... You get all the expenses, minus the posh environment most seek when they think of Williamsburg...
Negative action? Is Southside Williamsburg full of crime?

Old 10-08-2015, 09:42 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,551,757 times
Off topic a little bit, but I wonder why there are nunbered streets in one of the northernmost neighborhoods in Brooklyn with "South" prefixes

Old 10-08-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
You're definitely talking about the nicer, hip part of Williamsburg. But its not comparable to Soho or Tribeca in that it's not 'posh' in the least. Its more of a young, artsy vibe, AKA hipsters and trust funders.
Roebling and South 4th the "hip part of Williamsburg"? I would assume that distinction would go to the Northside, not the Southside... I agree somewhat with the second part but Southside is still a decent mix of old timers and the new crowd...

Old 10-08-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebrei View Post
Negative action? Is Southside Williamsburg full of crime?
Never said full of crime, but the 90th precinct (which covers Southside and East Williamsburg) has seen more action this year than Bushwick (83rd precinct). There's also been more shootings in the 90th precinct than the 83rd... It's still not that bad, but there are pockets in Williamsburg that are still gentrifying and have become robbery hot spots... parts of Southside by the East Williamsburg border (S1st-S4th, Roebling, Hooper, Broadway, Marcy, Borinquen Plaza, Rodney, Keap, Hewes, etc.). All these blocks I mentioned are much improved from what they used to be even five years ago, but the criminal element is still present and even though the numbers don't exactly seem to correlate with it, it just feels like the 90th has taken a step back this year...

Old 10-08-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Off topic a little bit, but I wonder why there are nunbered streets in one of the northernmost neighborhoods in Brooklyn with "South" prefixes
Because the North and South sides of Williamsburg are separated by the bridge... The shift starts to happen around Metro/Grand St. where you'll start to see N1-N12 I believe... That's the side that is almost completely gentrified if not already... That's also the area that would probably command rents most similar to Soho and Tribeca in Brooklyn...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or