U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 11:34 AM

9,910 posts, read 7,681,611 times

Advertisements

Move the ghetto trash out of the PJs and the city altogether and move the elderly into the NYCHA apartments that they left vacant. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 11:57 AM

4,147 posts, read 3,442,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Move the ghetto trash out of the PJs and the city altogether and move the elderly into the NYCHA apartments that they left vacant. Problem solved.
This will be difficult to do, because the ghetto trash often live under someone

Old 10-10-2015, 12:14 PM

1,003 posts, read 817,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Landlords will kick out rent stabilized tenants (because they want them out ASAP so they can make as much money as possible).
And you don't want as much money as possible?

Doesn't everyone -- tenants included -- want as much money as possible?

If you're offered a raise at work, do you say, "Oh, no thank you. I'm making enough money. I don't want more."

Fact is, there are tons of expenses to running a building. (I've worked for landlords.) Landlords are legally obligated to provide heat and other utilities for tenants, even if tenants turn up the heat to 90 degrees in winter, then open the windows because it's too hot. (Yes, I know this happens.)

Building supers are unionized in NYC, with all the expense that entails.

There are repairs (often necessitated caused by bad tenants), all manner of taxes and fees, all manner of insurance premiums.

And landlords must pay these expenses, regardless of whether tenants pay their rent or not. Landlords are legally obligated to provide heat, water, electricity, repairs -- even if tenants are months behind on their rent. Do you think the electric company cares that the tenants aren't paying the rent? Do you think the govt cares when it comes for the property taxes?

Rent control and rent stabilization should be abolished. Landlords should be free to charge whatever the market will bear, like any other business. And if you don't pay, like anything else, the service should be withdrawn. 30 days to vacate, at most, no continuances.

Clothing and food are necessities. Yet we don't have price controls on clothing and food.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:42 PM

4,783 posts, read 4,665,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

As for moving out of the city to some alleged cheap haven? Nowhere in the nation can one live off social security alone. Clearly many of these people never had enough money to have substantial savings.

Any old person with just social security either managed to pay for their property when they were young, is living with family who will allow them to stay, or is in a subsidized unit.

Most older people I know unfortunately live off of social security only. (My parents will be doing the same.) They are VERY LUCKY they paid off a mortgage years ago and that's all I can say about that. My grandparents only had SS and so does my MIL. There are definitely plenty of people living off of SS alone in the country. If you're pulling around $1700/month like my MIL and your rent is only $600-$700, you can swing it.

BTW-MIL is still making mortgage payments because her/her husband were idiots with money. We're hoping to get her out of that situation soon b/c it's just too much with all of the other bills.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:46 PM

20,134 posts, read 26,416,255 times
The secret of a pleasant retirement is to have had the foresight and fortitude to have your home paid off by retirement age.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:02 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
Sorry, what's the specific story behind this?

Old 10-10-2015, 04:13 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,154,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Sorry, what's the specific story behind this?
Man Commits Sucide When Marshall Arrives To Evict

Old 10-10-2015, 04:18 PM

23,248 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Not happening.

Whenever you move them to just becomes new ghettoes. I don't think Nassau wants to be a dumping ground.

Chicago destroyed it's housing projects and moved those people into working class neighborhoods with homes (much like Glendale, Queens). Crime in those neighborhoods is through the roof and the murder rate is three times that of NYC. So if Manhattan emptied it's projects it would be parts of the outer boroughs and the suburbs that would be the ones to take those residents in.

But speaking of government subsidies, they are nothing new. Many of those who now are well of homeowners received subsidized mortgages to buy homes post WW2. Or they had parents or grandparents who were in the military who received benefits from the GI Bill and got housing (good deals on co-ops or mortgages) or funding for college.

Those you call ghetto trash in those days were denied that kind of funding. As Robert Moses wanted to reduce the number of poor Blacks and Puerto Ricans in Manhattan, they were pushed into housing projects (Moses called this slum clearance) and this was with federal support.

So given the history of this, where is there to put these people if they are removed from the housing projects? What community would allow them to be dumped there these days?

Or do you a fan of ghetto liquidation? In Europe in the 30s and 40s they exterminated their ghettos. Hitler and the Nazis. Hoping you aren't a Nazi.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:21 PM

23,248 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Get rid of all the fraud and abuse, return Social Security to the original intention (ie, get rid of the "disabililty" scam) and structure support in a way that no longer encourages single-parent households and we will have enough money to take care of our elderly as every strong society should!
Disability is not a scam. Some people become too sick or have physical injuries that prevent them from working. Some people cannot work due to mental illness.

I hope you aren't saying people who are too ill to work should just be allowed to die. One day someone you know and love may become unable to work.

It's a legitimate use of social security. We pay taxes into the disability insurance program should illness or injury one day make us too unfit to work.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:53 PM

7,901 posts, read 6,474,824 times
Social Security was not initially created to be a vehicle for disability payments. It is not funded as such either. It is either a retirement plan or it is not. In my line of work I encounter far too many people who are outright scamming social security disability, or who do fit the legal definition but definitely did not reach an age or income level to have paid enough into the system before drawing disability to have properly contributed.

Social Security is not sustainable as currently structured. It is one of the few political realities that both "sides" agree on to some extent. It is only the matters of how to either fix it, dismantle it, or adjust it that they continually fight over.

My retirement planning does not take social security into account because I do not expect it to be viable when I get to that age in roughly 30 years. I will probably not have to count on it unless something unlikely happens with my situation. Since I have been contributing consistently and at a decent level since the age of 19, I certainly deserve my share, but I do not expect to get it so will not rely on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City