U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 11:22 AM

2,142 posts, read 2,184,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
Upper West closer to Riverside
Bingo. I was going to say West End.

On the other side of the spectrum I'd say Sutton Place. IE. E. 57th Street next to The East River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 08:58 AM

20,437 posts, read 21,986,171 times
Somewhere in Midtown East would be pretty fun.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:27 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,137,512 times
Chelsea

Old 10-11-2015, 10:57 PM

372 posts, read 287,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Somewhere in Midtown East would be pretty fun.
I can't begin to imagine why. You're in tourist central.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:05 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,688,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
I was thinking the same thing

But then again it's probably not as touristy as Midtown West

Old 10-12-2015, 02:08 AM

2,284 posts, read 2,239,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Manhattan is nice to come visit but not to live in my opinion. Too congested, filthy and overpriced. Quality of life just stinks in Manhattan. I lived there for over 25yrs.

I now live 20 minutes away in a nice middle-class area of Queens and you couldnt pay me to move back to Manhattan. I have the comfort of having private parking for both my cars (no extra costs or ridiculous parking lot fee's like in Manhattan), a backyard, clean quiet streets, courteous neighbors and peace and tranquility. Not to mention I pay about 1/3 for what it would cost me to live in Manhattan.

I never understood the rich who pay 10's of millions of dollars to live in manhattan and once they leave their residence, they're confronted with traffic, noise, filth, congestion, homeless people, etc.... Just doesnt make any sense to me.
I'm in full agreement with you. I'm not here to tell anyone else what they should like or not like nor how they should live; that is up to them. Just stating my own living preference.

It used to be where I couldn't hardly conceive of living anyplace but Manhattan. And I've had 3 apartments of my own in Manhattan in my life history (and then had shared living arrangements at various locations in Manhattan prior to that). But I have evolved over the years in my likes and dislikes and now I'd want just what you stated: private single-family traditional-looking detached homes, in a neighborhood which may also have its share of traditional apartment buildings or other types of multi-family homes. You practically don't find detached homes at all in Manhattan and everything is so crammed together and congested. And Manhttan is always filled with all of society's miscreants, misfits, malcontents, the disenfranchised and dispossessed, the psychiatrically or neurologically damaged or deranged wandering the world all around you, the teeming masses of humanity all around you at all or nearly all times, the hustlers and hucksters, the ever-present beggars, etc. etc. etc., ad infinitum and ad nauseum . . . always in your face and up your posteriors wherever you go (as soon as you step outside your abode . . . and sometimes even within your abode alongside you). And Manhattan is not a place to viably have an automobile of whatever type without incurring great expense to have guaranteed parking for it . . . and then, if others with vehicles want to visit you even for part of a day or stay over with you for that matter, where do they park their vehicles close enough to you without incurring a fortune in parking costs? And the utter congestion of driving through and around Manhattan.

Outside Manhattan (depending on where outisde Manhattan, of course), there is the very increased chance for a greater degree of peace, quiet and tranquility (and perhaps safety) than can be found in Manhattan. And less overall density of development (more breathing room). Manhattan can always be a reasonable-enough subway ride away and can be traveled to and from 24/7/365; I don't have to live in the midst of it 24/7/365. I don't care if you offered me an apartment for free in Manhattan; I'd rather live outside of Manhattan.

But to each their own. I used to be one who could only think of living in Manhattan (or perhaps select parts of Brooklyn close to Manhattan), so I understand that way of thinking. Perhaps it is just a sign of aging on my part, though I have felt this way for decades now (since perhaps the mid-1980s-onward) and am a senior now. I'd even consider the suburbs (selectively).

Old 10-12-2015, 10:15 AM

20,437 posts, read 21,986,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I was thinking the same thing

But then again it's probably not as touristy as Midtown West
Cultural institutions and landmarks that would be great to have as part of the neighborhood (MOMA, UN, Japan Society), interesting architecture, lots of oddly hidden stores and restaurants in basements and second or third floors, indoor sunlit plazas during the winter, lots of great Japanese restaurants among others, relatively short blocks, and the east side of the neighborhood is actually pretty quiet and without that many tourist--plus, I don't mind tourists. They're fun in moderation.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:46 AM

6,148 posts, read 6,144,027 times
None. I'd leave Bushwick and go to Long Island City. One of those nice new buildings on Center Blvd with amenities and a view. And an Aston Martin as long as I'm dreaming.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:14 AM

425 posts, read 257,458 times
We're fleeing Manhattan in a couple of months. The neighbourhood is nice and we like our apartment, but the noise is making us crazy.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:40 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,588,257 times
I'd like to be able to walk to as many places as possible. Midtown, a few blocks south of Central Park would fit the bill. From there, I could walk north to AMNH or the Met, or walk south to Koreatown, Penn Station or Grand Central. It would also make at a lot easier to hop on the subway to visit family in Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or