U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 10:26 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,479,160 times

Advertisements

Nobody cares if you wouldn't want to live in Manhattan, this question is obviously meant for people who would live in Manhattan if they could
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 03:17 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,181,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley718 View Post
I don't like Manhattan for the most part, but I do like Harlem.

Harlem is being transformed into Manhattan as we write.

I do understand, though. We made that decision.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:19 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,181,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
What is so great about TriBaCa? It is sandwiched between Holland Tunnel and Chinatown, super expensive too. Can someone enlighten me?
Sure - predatory real estate investment and "branding."

It was great at one time for reasons that are no longer existent. This includes most of the interesting venues.

Suffice to say here, the now empty signifier has not yet caught up with itself and may not, given that many Tribeca residents, aside from long-time residents, are transplants. This means that they will not notice that the value they sought is long gone. And they have already consumed the bones.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:58 AM

21,387 posts, read 28,163,582 times
Quote:
What is so great about TriBaCa? It is sandwiched between Holland Tunnel and Chinatown, super expensive too. Can someone enlighten me?
It is very expensive and the warehouse conversions have allowed for some immense apartments and room for originality. It is extremely quiet at night.
I look at the restaurant menuse and have a good belly-laugh.

I always think of it as the dirty dump it was when I moved to the area and parts of it are indeed still grimy. The AIR must be a delight what with the tunnel traffic and the traffic jams all across Canal St...OY.

Not for me.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:20 PM

197 posts, read 89,824 times
Quote:
Great schools, beautiful lower-rise buildings with high ceilings, good access to tons of parks, easy access to all the subway lines, fabulous restaurants, fewer chain stores than in other neighborhoods. I like the West Village too but prefer the converted lofts to live in.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:16 PM

3,396 posts, read 3,515,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludce View Post
Perhaps upper west side, by Lincoln center.
Me too.

Or Upper West Side...near Columbus circle.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:38 PM

2,400 posts, read 2,400,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander7 View Post
Suburbs where?

Actually the whole of the USA is the country, the suburbs and then there is Manhattan.
> 90% of the land is uninhabited.
Most probably select locales in Long Island (1st choice), then otherwise Westchester County (2nd choice), or else the northern half of New Jersey (3rd choice). I'd prefer Long Island for, among other reasons, you have multiple points of entry and exit into and out of Long Island to Queens / Brooklyn without incurring bridge or tunnel or highway tolls. And one can even enter Manhattan from Queens without paying tolls and even, once entering Manhattan, can drive up FDR Drive on Manhattan's East River coast to one of a host of free bridges going across from Manhattan to the Bronx (so you don't have to instead pay tolls to go over the tolled Whitestone or Throgs Neck or RFK/Triborough Bridges from Queens to the Bronx). And the LIRR operates 24/7/365 . . . and, if you desire to instead connect to the MTA subway system in Queens, there are various express buses from Nassau County going to the subway in Flushing and Jamaica (perhaps even to the Central Queens / Queens Blvd. subway in either the Briarwood or Kew Gardens or Forest Hills or Rego Park neighborhoods).

And, as to Westchester County versus Northern New Jersey: The MTA Metro North trains operate 24/7/365 to and from Manhattan to multiple New York State counties north of The Bronx and then to 3 counties in southwestern/southern Connecticut. Yet New Jersey Transit trains or buses going between New Jersey and New York City do not operate 24/7/365, nor does the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail going up and down New Jersey's Gold Coast along the Hudson River across from New York City. Only the Port Authority's PATH subway system to and from Manhattan to Hoboken, Jersey City, Harrison, and Newark operate 24/7/365. But unless I'd live in one of those 4 New Jersey cities, it wouldn't be a walkable option. And driving between New Jersey and New York City unavoidably incurs tolls (as you are limited to crossing tolled bridges and/or tunnels) . . . whereas traveling to and from Long Island to Queens or Brooklyn or travel to and from Westchester County to the Bronx (and then traveling from the Bronx to Manhattan or Queens) can be accomplished without paying tolls if your take the proper diversionary driving routes instead of the tolled routes. So Westchester County has that advantage over Northern New Jersey.

Again, my first choice for the New York City CMSA suburbs would be LONG ISLAND.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:15 PM

15 posts, read 11,181 times
Flatiron

Old 10-21-2015, 04:19 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,965,523 times
Upper West Side, by a country mile.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:05 PM

491 posts, read 634,128 times
A high apartment in the Financial District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or