U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-19-2015, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
7,903 posts, read 6,477,538 times
Reputation: 7088

Advertisements

Staten Island tried to leave more than once. The only reason we are still a part of the city is because NYC-run Albany refused to allow it. "Cutting ties" is always suggested with dripping condescension, but we wanted to leave more than you want to get rid of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2015, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY born & raised!
2,593 posts, read 3,727,438 times
Reputation: 3497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Staten Island tried to leave more than once. The only reason we are still a part of the city is because NYC-run Albany refused to allow it. "Cutting ties" is always suggested with dripping condescension, but we wanted to leave more than you want to get rid of us.
I hear you, it just seems silly. You can get from the Bronx to Manhattan, Manhattan to Brooklyn or Queens all without paying a dime. It seems the only times you have to pay is Bronx to Queens or anywhere to Staten Island. It strikes me as either charge a toll on every bridge or don't at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2015, 04:58 PM
 
18,263 posts, read 11,663,507 times
Reputation: 11876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I hear you, it just seems silly. You can get from the Bronx to Manhattan, Manhattan to Brooklyn or Queens all without paying a dime. It seems the only times you have to pay is Bronx to Queens or anywhere to Staten Island. It strikes me as either charge a toll on every bridge or don't at all.
Much of this has to do with the fact bridges and tunnels in NYC are owned by two different agencies; the Port Authority and MTA. As such revenues from tolls go into two different pots.

Also there are powerful interests in keeping the remaining non-tolled Manhattan crossings that way. You saw this with the push back from Albany, Westchester, Long Island and others to Bloomberg's congestion pricing scheme. That plan would have put tolls on the East River bridges that are now free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2015, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
7,903 posts, read 6,477,538 times
Reputation: 7088
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Also there are powerful interests in keeping the remaining non-tolled Manhattan crossings that way.
Which is exactly why the VZ is so expensive, so that people crossing into Manhattan don't have to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2015, 07:45 PM
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
3,021 posts, read 8,268,441 times
Reputation: 1788
A few unpopular observations/opinions:

*Staten Island should be much, much more densely populated. It's huge and could support 3-4 million people

*The wealthy are overtaking certain NYC neighborhoods: Soho, Tribeca, Nolita, West Village, Williamsburg (quickly), Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights, Upper East Side, Flatiron, Chelsea, and the Financial District. It's not a good thing on the whole. Too sterile, too quiet neighborhoods and non-thriving on the whole. Not good for sustainability or the future.

*On an opposite note, housing projects are huge problems. Eyesores, pockets of crime, and just bad ideas from the start. Somehow, they have to be changed the way they currently stand--whether it be to market rate a mix of apartments within the housing projects, or renovate, or just start over. It's all about intermixing of poor with rich, and in-between. The segregation of poor into housing projects and rich into taking over entire neighborhoods is not healthy for any city in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2015, 09:53 PM
 
852 posts, read 810,402 times
Reputation: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I hear you, it just seems silly. You can get from the Bronx to Manhattan, Manhattan to Brooklyn or Queens all without paying a dime. It seems the only times you have to pay is Bronx to Queens or anywhere to Staten Island. It strikes me as either charge a toll on every bridge or don't at all.
You can get to SI completely free of charge on the ferry. There is no free mass transit between any of the other boroughs, so this balances itself out.

I support tolling every bridge, and bringing down the Verezzano's toll, AKA Move NY Plan, but it was drivers themselves who shot it down. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Also, most SI residents like their suburban borough and loudly oppose any effort to increase density. The high tolls keep it that way, and help keep SI cheap in comparison to the rest of the city. Lowering the tolls will only increase the push to densify SI. SIer's want cheap easy access but they don't want any of the density that comes with it. It's just not possible to have both in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2015, 09:59 PM
 
852 posts, read 810,402 times
Reputation: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
A few unpopular observations/opinions:

*Staten Island should be much, much more densely populated. It's huge and could support 3-4 million people

*The wealthy are overtaking certain NYC neighborhoods: Soho, Tribeca, Nolita, West Village, Williamsburg (quickly), Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights, Upper East Side, Flatiron, Chelsea, and the Financial District. It's not a good thing on the whole. Too sterile, too quiet neighborhoods and non-thriving on the whole. Not good for sustainability or the future.

*On an opposite note, housing projects are huge problems. Eyesores, pockets of crime, and just bad ideas from the start. Somehow, they have to be changed the way they currently stand--whether it be to market rate a mix of apartments within the housing projects, or renovate, or just start over. It's all about intermixing of poor with rich, and in-between. The segregation of poor into housing projects and rich into taking over entire neighborhoods is not healthy for any city in the long run.
Queens, the biggest borough geographically and twice as big as SI, does not have 3/4 million people. Brooklyn, the most populated borough and bigger that SI as well, does not have 3/4 million. What in the world makes you think SI could support 3/4 million people? Its too far from the city center, and too isolated to support that big a population. Unless you expand transit infrastructure to SI in a major way, SI's population is fine the way it is. And even if you were to expand transit, I don't see SI having more that 1.5/2 million people tops. It's simply too far from Manhattan, and thats why, if anything, Queens or Brooklyn would see subway expansion and population growth before SI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2015, 11:26 AM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,556,673 times
Reputation: 5949
I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion

But I think Co-op city is aesthetically pleasing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 12:14 AM
 
507 posts, read 335,733 times
Reputation: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
But I think Co-op city is aesthetically pleasing
Maybe, if you're comparing it to the rest of the city.

There is a kind of neatness to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 06:51 AM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,240 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Reputation: 60114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Staten Island should just become part of NJ. It makes no sense that it's the only borough that you have to pay to get into when it's not even worth paying to get into.
Hey, there was a race for it between the two states, remember? New York won. It's yours to keep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top