U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 02:54 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,367,581 times

Advertisements

Rents are going up everywhere because the 2008 crisis and tighter lending limits pushed buyers out of the housing market. I also think higher student loan lending loads are preventing millennials from getting mortgages. The key to avoid rising rents is to buy. If you can't afford to buy in NYC, move to a cheaper city. You can still buy a house for under 100K in a decent neighborhood in Pittsburgh, for instance. Pittsburgh isn't as sexy as NYC, but you won't have to sit in your studio when you are 45 eating rice and beans.

Last edited by ny789987; 10-09-2015 at 03:04 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 03:41 PM

438 posts, read 435,892 times
Landlords will hike rents by 8% this year

Landlords will hike rents by 8% this year - MarketWatch

Old 10-11-2015, 09:41 PM

436 posts, read 413,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Disproportionately the people leaving the city are idiots who insist on living in the most expensive neighborhoods.

Hells Kitchen/Midtown West, Dumbo, Tribeca?

There's South Brooklyn, there's Queens away from Western Queens, there's Staten Island (Gasp?), upper Manhattan, and the Bronx. There's also moving across the river to Jersey. I have no sympathy for people who wine about not being able to instantly get a fabulous place in NYC's most expensive neighborhoods.

How about if I don't want to spend a year and a half getting to my job? Or what if my neighborhood is an economic wasteland lacking certain types of businesses (e.g. gyms)?

Old 10-11-2015, 09:48 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,654,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
How about if I don't want to spend a year and a half getting to my job? Or what if my neighborhood is an economic wasteland lacking certain types of businesses (e.g. gyms)?
such entitlement

Old 10-11-2015, 11:03 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,511,441 times
Quote:
There are gyms in south brooklyn.... Just pick a neighborhood with one.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:26 PM

10,683 posts, read 20,853,270 times
Quote:
Go to the gym after work in Manhattan.

Don't choose a neighborhood where it takes a year and a half to commute to your job. I would say 45 minutes is reasonable, if the job is in Midtown. You can live in many neighborhoods in Queens and have a 45 minute commute to Midtown.

If you don't like the 45 minute commute, then find a job where you earn more money and you can live walking distance to your job.

There, I just addressed all your complaints and solved your problems.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:03 AM

436 posts, read 413,678 times
The point clearly went over your heads. I was addressing the shallowness of his post specifically. I'm well aware that there are neighborhoods outside of Manhattan that have things and are within reasonable commute of the heart of the city. In any case, a person with a modest income is better off in another city anyway. There's more to life than working and commuting.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:08 AM

4,929 posts, read 5,568,321 times
So long as these filthy transplants are willing to cram themselves amongst 3-4 other roommates into a tiny apt and pay $3,000+ per month rent, these prices are here to stay. I dont blame the landlords. If people are tripping over themselves to pay these amounts, who am I to say no?

I have a co-worker who moved here from Iowa. She lives in the Williamsburg/Greenpoint area. There's 4 roommates in total sharing a 3br apt. One girl takes the living room. I just shook my head when she told me that they each pay $1,000/month. Crazy part is, she feels as if she has a deal because she lives just a few blocks from the L train. SMH!

Old 10-12-2015, 07:40 AM

10,030 posts, read 7,784,905 times
Quote:
The point clearly went over your heads. I was addressing the shallowness of his post specifically. I'm well aware that there are neighborhoods outside of Manhattan that have things and are within reasonable commute of the heart of the city. In any case, a person with a modest income is better off in another city anyway. There's more to life than working and commuting.
You should take your own advise. It would be of great service to those that don't mind or prefer living here.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:37 AM

10,683 posts, read 20,853,270 times
Quote:
The point clearly went over your heads.
Then you need to figure out a way to communicate more clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City