U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:39 AM

2,593 posts, read 3,729,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Disproportionately the people leaving the city are idiots who insist on living in the most expensive neighborhoods.

Hells Kitchen/Midtown West, Dumbo, Tribeca?

There's South Brooklyn, there's Queens away from Western Queens, there's Staten Island (Gasp?), upper Manhattan, and the Bronx. There's also moving across the river to Jersey. I have no sympathy for people who wine about not being able to instantly get a fabulous place in NYC's most expensive neighborhoods.
Not everyone wants to deal with a commute of over an hour that involves a hassle or extra expense. (Staten island comes to mind) Not to mention places that involve taking a bus to the train. I did it for years and never want to again. I don't care about being in a hip area, but even the outskirts are going. There's already a push as far south as Kings Highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 10:35 AM

23,262 posts, read 16,076,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Parts may be, but parts of Brooklyn are even more dangerous. Look up the crime rate of Brownsville, Brooklyn, then compare to the nice neighborhood of Riverdale, Bronx. Or look up East New York, Brooklyn and compare to Woodlawn, Bronx. Etc.

The media seems very good at painting all of Brooklyn with the "hip, gentrified" brush and all of the Bronx with the "scary, dangerous" brush.

All you need to do is browse the forums for threads asking for advice about where to live in the Bronx. Seems there are plenty of decent neighborhoods there.
East New York has the highest population in the city, and Brownsville is more dangerous than the WORST part of the Bronx. Brownsville has the highest murder rate in the city. Other really bad Brooklyn neighborhoods include Cypress Hills, Canarsie, and Flatbush.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
How about if I don't want to spend a year and a half getting to my job? Or what if my neighborhood is an economic wasteland lacking certain types of businesses (e.g. gyms)?
Then you'll pony up money to live in Manhattan or stop whining.

And who really cares what you want?

You're going to have to make adjustments.

And for the record not all jobs in the metro area are in Manhattan. So again no sympathy for people who insist on living and working in the most fab places that they can't afford where there are much cheaper places in the metro area.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Not everyone wants to deal with a commute of over an hour that involves a hassle or extra expense. (Staten island comes to mind) Not to mention places that involve taking a bus to the train. I did it for years and never want to again. I don't care about being in a hip area, but even the outskirts are going. There's already a push as far south as Kings Highway.
Again it's not about what you want. You're going to have to figure out how to manage your own life.

Not all jobs in NYC or the metro area are in Manhattan. Find a job close to where you live in the outer boroughs or upper Manhattan. Or alternatively find a job making more money if you must live in Manhattan. But you aren't automatically entitled. People like you basically want to live in the most expensive places and pay little to no rent. Newsflash, it's just not happening.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:13 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,831,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Again it's not about what you want. You're going to have to figure out how to manage your own life.
So ... why not tell everyone how YOU "managed," that is to say, how you acquired the capital that afforded you this oh-so-lofty position above everyone ?

Do tell. That way, those wondering could use the same set of strategies. Of course, this might require a shift in personal definitions of "management."

Newsflash. We should not expect an actual answer.

Wake up. People's lives are being "managed" for them - that is to say, anyone without significant capital.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:14 PM

436 posts, read 410,404 times
I'm not going to respond seriously again to those three since all I got was ad hominem. It's one thing to say to do this and do that but it's another thing to ignore reality. Some people are screwed from the beginning but that doesn't justify other people maintaining or worsening the situations of those same unfortunates. But perhaps that's not a moral followed in any part or throughout the US. That's another discussion though.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:52 PM

186 posts, read 145,255 times
You can find nice two bedroom apartments in the North bronx for about 1400-1500 a month and one bedroom a bit cheaper.
Common sense must come into play when deciding where to live, not all the bronx is bad, you just have to do your research, as someone else said Brooklyn is made to sound like a hipster paradise but that is only certain parts of BK. There are other parts ppl don't even venture to.
Best bet live outside the city and commute in or carpool with co-workers or friends etc

Old 10-13-2015, 09:44 AM

119 posts, read 76,028 times
It's a half-hour or so from most of Upper Manhattan to Midtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
How about if I don't want to spend a year and a half getting to my job? Or what if my neighborhood is an economic wasteland lacking certain types of businesses (e.g. gyms)?

Old 10-13-2015, 10:15 AM

996 posts, read 944,915 times
OP, talking realistically: You skip over the western-most neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens unless you both want to live in tiny-space like a studio together just to be in the "best" borough neighborhoods.

Instead, for floorspace at home, you research Central Queens or Central Brooklyn along a main subway line into Manhattan, where you'd commute 20 additional minutes by subway than you expected. Prospect Heights, Prospect Lefferts-Garden, Crown Heights around Franklin Street, Sunnyside, Jackson Heights.. all are good for post-college and post-gradschool budgets, to name a few. If your girlfriend's nervous at first about walking home alone late-nights from a subway station in an unfamiliar neighborhood, you walk out and meet her until she feels ok. Or if you're healthy and can put up with bus-to-subway (or long walk 15+ minutes to subway) that'll open up even more borough neighborhoods, such as South Park Slope or more parts of Astoria not right on subway lines.

When you want to go to a restaurant or toney bar in DUMBO, Cobble Hill, Atoria/LIC or some other nicer borough neighborhood, you get off a few stops sooner on your way home. You've bought an unlimited subway pass already, if you're working daily.

Or you can choose Manhattan well north of Columbia U, selecting someplace carefully in Washington Heights or Inwood after reading up here on some of the fine points.

You join some neighborhood-based activity or community board, working to improve something you care about, where you'll meet people of every age and background. You grow.

That's what I think can work for college-educated new professionals, without children, not being able to afford to live in Manhattan, IF they want to continue living in NYC.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 10-13-2015 at 10:41 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 10:22 AM

2,458 posts, read 1,814,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
So long as these filthy transplants are willing to cram themselves amongst 3-4 other roommates into a tiny apt and pay $3,000+ per month rent, these prices are here to stay. I dont blame the landlords. If people are tripping over themselves to pay these amounts, who am I to say no?

I have a co-worker who moved here from Iowa. She lives in the Williamsburg/Greenpoint area. There's 4 roommates in total sharing a 3br apt. One girl takes the living room. I just shook my head when she told me that they each pay $1,000/month. Crazy part is, she feels as if she has a deal because she lives just a few blocks from the L train. SMH!

Yep, this is it.

I was born in NYC and raised back during the crack infested days. I don't remember people really struggling to pay their rents or most of all, people wanting to move here. Now, you see people from all over the world. I knew a girl from Israel who moved to Chelsea and she only pays $1,000 rent. She takes the living room. And she has room mates - all of them paying up to $7,000 in rent to their landlord - two each in a three bedroom apartment. Imagine the landlord's monthly cash flow! Makes me wonder why back in the 90's I didn't make an investment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City