U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-15-2015, 10:51 PM
 
Location: New York City
372 posts, read 285,441 times
Reputation: 242

Advertisements

Overall crime rate is meaningless without context. If the only crime being committed is jaywalking and crime is up 150% over last year is it really a big deal?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2015, 11:14 PM
 
1,007 posts, read 582,763 times
Reputation: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Also, your logic doesn't totally make sense about who is driving up the rents. Isn't everyone driving up rents unless they own something? I don't really understand how it could be ONLY outsiders who drive up rents everywhere, including in outlying areas.

And I am so tired of the native/non-native crap on this board. Sorry to take it out on you, but every time I see something on this board about "natives" resenting "transplants" it makes me roll my eyes. People need to get used to the fact that this is a mobile country where residents are allowed to freely live where they want, including you.
No you're driving up the rent because before the late mid to late 90s, working class New Yorkers like me didn't need to work about rich entitled hedge fund kids coming in trying to pay their landlord three times my rent to live in the worst areas of the city. Then once you move in, the police come and protect you and your new starbucks or other yuppie ****. Then suddenly you have the media and realtoreschanging neighborhoods from "Bed Stuy do or die" to "cobble hill, clinton hill etc. etc." in attempts to rebrand the image of a historically marginalized area of the city into a fairy land for privledged white people to move. This then drives the fair market rent up, and pushes out poor and working families that had lived their FOR GENERATIONS! While you can go back to your hometown and live in Idaho or Nebraska with Mom and Dad, the family that was kicked out of your apartment due to a greedy landlord has to go to THE SHELTER. Conveniently it's only at this point that the city musters up the money to fund adequate policing to make the area safe. NOT when working people were living there, only when yuppies move in. Because as we've learned in New York, when a poor person or person of color gets killed it's just your everyday "gang violence." Police pay no mind. But when a white yuppie gets his wallet lifted from him, the neighborhood comes becomes as occupied as the gaza strip.

And screw everyone that thinks that gentrification is good because now there's a starbucks or a artisan pickle shop on your corner. None of the people from this neighborhood that have often spent their lives making it a good community can afford these $5 coffees and $20 jars of pickles. We're to busy trying to keep our homes because our landlord is trying to move you in!

History really repeats itself because New York City was where Henry Hudson landed before he got the europeans to colonize and forcibly remove native americans from their homes. That's what's going on in New York City now. Same thing. Settlers taking over native's land.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2015, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
3,848 posts, read 1,476,481 times
Reputation: 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
No you're driving up the rent because before the late mid to late 90s, working class New Yorkers like me didn't need to work about rich entitled hedge fund kids coming in trying to pay their landlord three times my rent to live in the worst areas of the city. Then once you move in, the police come and protect you and your new starbucks or other yuppie ****. Then suddenly you have the media and realtoreschanging neighborhoods from "Bed Stuy do or die" to "cobble hill, clinton hill etc. etc." in attempts to rebrand the image of a historically marginalized area of the city into a fairy land for privledged white people to move. This then drives the fair market rent up, and pushes out poor and working families that had lived their FOR GENERATIONS! While you can go back to your hometown and live in Idaho or Nebraska with Mom and Dad, the family that was kicked out of your apartment due to a greedy landlord has to go to THE SHELTER. Conveniently it's only at this point that the city musters up the money to fund adequate policing to make the area safe. NOT when working people were living there, only when yuppies move in. Because as we've learned in New York, when a poor person or person of color gets killed it's just your everyday "gang violence." Police pay no mind. But when a white yuppie gets his wallet lifted from him, the neighborhood comes becomes as occupied as the gaza strip.

And screw everyone that thinks that gentrification is good because now there's a starbucks or a artisan pickle shop on your corner. None of the people from this neighborhood that have often spent their lives making it a good community can afford these $5 coffees and $20 jars of pickles. We're to busy trying to keep our homes because our landlord is trying to move you in!

History really repeats itself because New York City was where Henry Hudson landed before he got the europeans to colonize and forcibly remove native americans from their homes. That's what's going on in New York City now. Same thing. Settlers taking over native's land.
I have no sympathy for bad neighborhoods or people who want neighborhoods to stay bad.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2015, 11:37 AM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,574,584 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
No you're driving up the rent because before the late mid to late 90s, working class New Yorkers like me didn't need to work about rich entitled hedge fund kids coming in trying to pay their landlord three times my rent to live in the worst areas of the city. Then once you move in, the police come and protect you and your new starbucks or other yuppie ****. Then suddenly you have the media and realtoreschanging neighborhoods from "Bed Stuy do or die" to "cobble hill, clinton hill etc. etc." in attempts to rebrand the image of a historically marginalized area of the city into a fairy land for privledged white people to move. This then drives the fair market rent up, and pushes out poor and working families that had lived their FOR GENERATIONS! While you can go back to your hometown and live in Idaho or Nebraska with Mom and Dad, the family that was kicked out of your apartment due to a greedy landlord has to go to THE SHELTER. Conveniently it's only at this point that the city musters up the money to fund adequate policing to make the area safe. NOT when working people were living there, only when yuppies move in. Because as we've learned in New York, when a poor person or person of color gets killed it's just your everyday "gang violence." Police pay no mind. But when a white yuppie gets his wallet lifted from him, the neighborhood comes becomes as occupied as the gaza strip.

And screw everyone that thinks that gentrification is good because now there's a starbucks or a artisan pickle shop on your corner. None of the people from this neighborhood that have often spent their lives making it a good community can afford these $5 coffees and $20 jars of pickles. We're to busy trying to keep our homes because our landlord is trying to move you in!

History really repeats itself because New York City was where Henry Hudson landed before he got the europeans to colonize and forcibly remove native americans from their homes. That's what's going on in New York City now. Same thing. Settlers taking over native's land.
Nobody is entitled to live in NYC (or anywhere really) if they don't own any property
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2015, 11:41 AM
 
10,630 posts, read 20,770,793 times
Reputation: 8160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
While you can go back to your hometown and live in Idaho or Nebraska
Hey, guess what, you can also go to Idaho or Nebraska and live for cheap since clearly NYC isn't working for you anymore. Maybe you're not familiar with the concept, but there's no passport or visa required to move between states in the US.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2015, 11:42 AM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,574,584 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Hey, guess what, you can also go to Idaho or Nebraska and live for cheap since clearly NYC isn't working for you anymore. Maybe you're not familiar with the concept, but there's no passport or visa required to move between states in the US.
How many "trust fund babies" come from Idaho or Nebraska anyway?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2015, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY born & raised!
2,593 posts, read 3,731,127 times
Reputation: 3502
People missed my point.

My problem was someone trying to say "Oh just move to Staten Island or Jersey". Funny thing is the people coming in are the ones who refuse to move to these places, not us. How many times a day do we see posts about "Seeking a studio or 1 BR within 30 or 40 mins of the city". The same people who call anything outside of North Brooklyn or Manhattan "Rhode Island" because it may as well be that far.

How about the transplants move to Staten Island and NJ since they are usually the ones seeking cheap rent anyway? I'm fine where I am until I move out of NYC 2 years from now.

I'm aware no one is entitled to anything. It's why I took 2 months to find the right apartment where I wasn't killing half my paycheck to go to rent.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2015, 01:17 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
2,459 posts, read 1,820,309 times
Reputation: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
No you're driving up the rent because before the late mid to late 90s, working class New Yorkers like me didn't need to work about rich entitled hedge fund kids coming in trying to pay their landlord three times my rent to live in the worst areas of the city. Then once you move in, the police come and protect you and your new starbucks or other yuppie ****. Then suddenly you have the media and realtoreschanging neighborhoods from "Bed Stuy do or die" to "cobble hill, clinton hill etc. etc." in attempts to rebrand the image of a historically marginalized area of the city into a fairy land for privledged white people to move. This then drives the fair market rent up, and pushes out poor and working families that had lived their FOR GENERATIONS! While you can go back to your hometown and live in Idaho or Nebraska with Mom and Dad, the family that was kicked out of your apartment due to a greedy landlord has to go to THE SHELTER. Conveniently it's only at this point that the city musters up the money to fund adequate policing to make the area safe. NOT when working people were living there, only when yuppies move in. Because as we've learned in New York, when a poor person or person of color gets killed it's just your everyday "gang violence." Police pay no mind. But when a white yuppie gets his wallet lifted from him, the neighborhood comes becomes as occupied as the gaza strip.

And screw everyone that thinks that gentrification is good because now there's a starbucks or a artisan pickle shop on your corner. None of the people from this neighborhood that have often spent their lives making it a good community can afford these $5 coffees and $20 jars of pickles. We're to busy trying to keep our homes because our landlord is trying to move you in!

History really repeats itself because New York City was where Henry Hudson landed before he got the europeans to colonize and forcibly remove native americans from their homes. That's what's going on in New York City now. Same thing. Settlers taking over native's land.

One helluva great post! It should be framed.

On one note, I miss and prefer, "mom and pop" shops rather than the disgusting over-priced Starbucks and places like Duane Reade's. Back in the day, when you bought something, you were getting quality and original - not mass produced where literally the entire world gets the same thing.

Too bad that all the mom and pop shops were replaced by the yuppy brands. Makes traveling out of here boring as well. The malls at San Francisco have the exact same stupid shops that one would find on 34th street.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2015, 01:41 PM
 
10,630 posts, read 20,770,793 times
Reputation: 8160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
People missed my point.

My problem was someone trying to say "Oh just move to Staten Island or Jersey". Funny thing is the people coming in are the ones who refuse to move to these places, not us.H
I guess I'm still missing your point. People have to live where they can afford. If they "refuse" to live in cheaper areas, then they are not going to be able to live here at all, especially with the 40x rules. I realize that many newcomers post on this board about only wanting to live in specific neighborhoods, and the very next question is to find out if they can afford those desirable places. If they can, they can -- good for them (wouldn't you also want to live in the more desirable parts of town if you move to a new city?) If they can't, they are directed to an area that matches their budget, which is going to be further out.

I just don't get what the big deal is. People have to live where they can afford. All of us do, whether we were born here or not. If I move back "home" I will also have to contend with the same stuff, because the last city I lived before NYC has also seen prices rise very high as well, and I am quite sure if I move back to that city I would not be able to afford my old neighborhood anymore.

It's a fact of life. People move around. Prices go up. Some people have more money than others. People have to deal with it. If I am still missing your point, I apologize.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2015, 02:23 PM
 
1,278 posts, read 833,455 times
Reputation: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Again it's not about what you want. You're going to have to figure out how to manage your own life.

Not all jobs in NYC or the metro area are in Manhattan. Find a job close to where you live in the outer boroughs or upper Manhattan. Or alternatively find a job making more money if you must live in Manhattan. But you aren't automatically entitled. People like you basically want to live in the most expensive places and pay little to no rent. Newsflash, it's just not happening.
Yes, you are correct. Manhattan is occupied by professionals making $250k-$1million+/year so the rents are adjusted to reflect the demographic. If you don't make that kind of money, there is no reason you should be looking to live there nor should anyone complain about it. There are 1 bdrm apts in central queens, NJ and staten island for $1100/month for those who can't afford the city.

Also, Manhattan isnt even the most expensive city area in the world. It ranked 16th last year in the world. Hong Kong, Singapore, Zurich, Tokyo, Moscow, Shanghai ranked more expensive.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top