Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 02:38 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
People missed my point.
My problem was someone trying to say "Oh just move to Staten Island or Jersey". Funny thing is the people coming in are the ones who refuse to move to these places, not us. How many times a day do we see posts about "Seeking a studio or 1 BR within 30 or 40 mins of the city". The same people who call anything outside of North Brooklyn or Manhattan "Rhode Island" because it may as well be that far.
You are free to leave if you don't like the rents. No one has to live in Manhattan or Brooklyn.
Quote:
How about the transplants move to Staten Island and NJ since they are usually the ones seeking cheap rent anyway? I'm fine where I am until I move out of NYC 2 years from now.
Obviously if they're moving to NYC they can afford NYC.

I can afford NYC just fine. I have no problem with the rents being charged. In fact, as a condo owner, I would be happy to see property prices go even higher.

And there are plenty of affordable neighborhoods in NYC. Basically half the city is still affordable to "regular folks". Even the other half is affordable to regular folks if you're willing to share or take a small, simple apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
Yes, you are correct. Manhattan is occupied by professionals making $250k-$1million+/year so the rents are adjusted to reflect the demographic. If you don't make that kind of money, there is no reason you should be looking to live there nor should anyone complain about it. There are 1 bdrm apts in central queens, NJ and staten island for $1100/month for those who can't afford the city.
Exactly. I don't get the complaints.

Salaries in NYC are some of the highest on earth. Rents are high, but there are still plenty of affordable places. Like half the apartments in NYC are rent controlled or subsidized, but still people complain that it isn't enough.

There are PLENTY of safe places with transit that have $1,100 a month or cheaper apartments within a hour or so of Manhattan. Some in the Outer Boroughs, some in Jersey, some in Westchester, some in Nassau. I can list these places if people are really so confused they can only find neighborhoods with billionaires.

I rented a studio apartment in Bay Ridge five years ago for around $1,000 a month. This was a nice building, with parking, right next to the subway, and two blocks from the waterfront. Safe and beautiful area. Since it was rent stabilized, even now the rent probably isn't more than $1,100-$1,200 or so. And Bay Ridge is actually pricier than most outer neighborhoods. In most outer neighborhoods you can still get a one bedroom for that price range. In some you can even get a 2 bedroom for that price range.

And if you can't afford the rent, and aren't coupled with someone working, then take an apartment share, or rent a room. Somehow undocumented immigrants working in restaurant kitchens can afford the rent in Brooklyn; I seriously doubt a full-time worker who has his/her papers and a legal job can't do the same.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:52 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Exactly. I don't get the complaints.

Salaries in NYC are some of the highest on earth.
Because that would require ability in critical thinking. You could work on this but for many it is simply impossible. It doesn't even have so much to do with exceptional intelligence.

The second statement is patently false.

I can also afford anything BUT - and I feel fortunate as well as (apparently) rare - I also somehow have an understanding that not everyone has this privilege. I also understand that people who have lived most of their lives here are being shoved out due to circumstances beyond their control. This is really wrong.

It's also ugly in a nearly aesthetic sense. I simply do not ever want to know the newcomer New-York-City-as-consumable-object people I have encountered. It's almost worth moving to get away from them. But alas, as we speak, even Havana is being aggressively milked for profit by American hedge funders and their ilk. There is no escape except the refuge of a very small group of people.

Is it something they put in the food ? water ? what ? How did they get people to be incapable of seeing bigger pictures, causes, the basis of an ethical society. I don't get it.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:

I'm aware no one is entitled to anything. It's why I took 2 months to find the right apartment where I wasn't killing half my paycheck to go to rent.

Give up - they already know. That's the reason for the defensiveness.

I dunno, learn the rules of karma ...?
Few people actually understand them but it isn't so complicated.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:00 PM

156 posts, read 219,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
If you can't afford to pay rent to live on someone else's property you have three choices:

1) Make more money
2) Take in a roommate
3) Move.

It's pretty simple, you have no entitlement to a lifelong lease anywhere
Rent-stabilized apartments and Section 8 say otherwise

Old 10-16-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Because that would require ability in critical thinking. You could work on this but for many it is simply impossible. It doesn't even have so much to do with exceptional intelligence.
Then explain to us "dummies" how undocumented immigrants from Central America working below-minimum wages in restaurant kitchens can afford NYC rents, while even sending extra money home to family, but long-time whiners with every advantage in life and full time jobs somehow can't.

Give us an example of how "regular New Yorkers" can't afford the rent. You can't because you're making up stuff. NYC rent burden is actually low compared to many cities around the world. There are cities in Europe and Asia where rent burden is around 50%; in NYC it's more like 30%.
Quote:
The second statement is patently false.
Manhattan has the highest salaries of any county in the U.S., and the U.S. is the richest country on earth, so actually you have no idea what you're talking about. There is no better place on the planet to make a good salary than NYC.

And the overall region has the second or third highest wages of any metro area on earth; and not particularly high rent burden. Even many metros in the U.S. are less affordable relative to salary.

Quote:
How did they get people to be incapable of seeing bigger pictures, causes, the basis of an ethical society. I don't get it.
Ah, yes; according to you the basis of an "ethical society" is to have complaining moochers-for-life to be subsidized by everyone else. Hard-working immigrants need to work 100 hour weeks and live 50 miles from Manhattan so moochers can sit around all day in a $200 a month subsidized luxury Manhattan apartment. Ah, entitlement!

Old 10-16-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Then explain to us "dummies" how undocumented immigrants from Central America working below-minimum wages in restaurant kitchens can afford NYC rents, while even sending extra money home to family, but long-time whiners with every advantage in life and full time jobs somehow can't.

Give us an example of how "regular New Yorkers" can't afford the rent. You can't because you're making up stuff. NYC rent burden is actually low compared to many cities around the world. There are cities in Europe and Asia where rent burden is around 50%; in NYC it's more like 30%.

Manhattan has the highest salaries of any county in the U.S., and the U.S. is the richest country on earth, so actually you have no idea what you're talking about. There is no better place on the planet to make a good salary than NYC.

And the overall region has the second or third highest wages of any metro area on earth; and not particularly high rent burden. Even many metros in the U.S. are less affordable relative to salary.

Ah, yes; according to you the basis of an "ethical society" is to have complaining moochers-for-life to be subsidized by everyone else. Hard-working immigrants need to work 100 hour weeks and live 50 miles from Manhattan so moochers can sit around all day in a $200 a month subsidized luxury Manhattan apartment. Ah, entitlement!
Apologies - I forgot that "ethical" would be a very very big word for you.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Apologies - I forgot that "ethical" would be a very very big word for you.
Translation: You have no rebuttal to any of my points, know you have no argument and everything you previously wrote was made-up garbage, so you resort to ad-hominen attacks.

Yes, obviously I don't understand the meaning of the word "ethical" if I have shown data repudiating all your wild claims. Certainly there's a relationship between understanding English vocabulary and understanding how housing markets work. Thanks for playing, but no.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:53 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Nobody is entitled to live in NYC (or anywhere really) if they don't own any property
So basically the poor and working class (about 75% of New Yorkers), in your world, should just be some wandering gypsy caravan?

Old 10-16-2015, 03:54 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I have no sympathy for bad neighborhoods or people who want neighborhoods to stay bad.
Missed the entire purpose of my post, many native new yorkers say their neighborhood only became bad when the yuppies took over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City